Posted 1 June 2009

Is it Legal to take rocks/stones from the Beach

I was down the beach tonight with the nippers after finishing work. To cut a long story short I found a big rock that I wanted for my Beardie (Bearded Dragon). Whilst carrying it back to the car I got some some funny looks. My Missus told me when I got home that it's cos it's illegal to take rocks from beaches. I've asked the google machine but get no relevant results. Anyone know?
Community Updates
New Comment

103 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
  1. Pinned
    Not illegal to take shells but rocks, pebbles etc are an environmental issue so DEFRA have laws to keep beaches intact.......which is why you can buy rocks etc in DIY stores.....understandable really.
    Willy_Wonka10/03/2019 20:04

Why? Are you the internet police?

It is one of the many services I provide.
    Author
    Just for the record I still have the rocks. 10 years ago, where did the time go?
    Willy_Wonka10/03/2019 21:56

FanpagesRead The Four Noble Truths. It might help you with your suffering. …FanpagesRead The Four Noble Truths. It might help you with your suffering. I only logged on to thank someone for the Tesco Ferrero Rocher deal.

I am not suffering.

I haven't read any fiction since the last year of Secondary School & I am certainly not going to read anything about religion.

I hope the Ambassador enjoys your company at his party, though.
    deleted1781210/03/2019 22:26

I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that …I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that did that. He never mentions it though.I expect he'll be along in a while to not mention it again.

If you are talking about Deeky, I've never heard him mention it once. If you are referring to my good self? why, I never tell anyone I was on Top Gear ..........

You, Sir. Make me smile every time I come on here
    Author

I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that …I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that did that. He never mentions it though.I expect he'll be along in a while to not mention it again.

I did, it was a short lived spectacular with that wonderful fella off the gadget show (Jason). I won £15k shared amongst my 2 brothers and I. I'm sure it's available on YouTube somewhere.

I've also been through a divorce, Uni degree and changed job a couple of times during the decade that has passed.
    i had a nice rockery once thanks to rhyl beach
    Paddy_o_furniture;5375275

My rock was washed up from international waters. I got a happier beardie … My rock was washed up from international waters. I got a happier beardie now anyway. She prefers her new rock.

just tell her to keep it quiet!!!! wouldnt want her locked up for handling stolen goods!!!! :w00t:
    Author
    lil_tiger;5375280

just tell her to keep it quiet!!!! wouldnt want her locked up for … just tell her to keep it quiet!!!! wouldnt want her locked up for handling stolen goods!!!! :w00t:

She just keeps bobbing at me tonight. She ain't done that in ages. I'll have to go back under the over of darkness for her sand. (not really she has wood bark stolen from the park)
    Paddy_o_furniture10/03/2019 22:20

Just for the record I still have the rocks. 10 years ago, where did the …Just for the record I still have the rocks. 10 years ago, where did the time go?

I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.

There is another member that did that. He never mentions it though.

I expect he'll be along in a while to not mention it again.
    Willy_Wonka10/03/2019 21:24

? Do you have a problem with women that like cleaning up beaches?

Not at all. I have a problem with people giving cheek to one of our elder statesmen

deleted8085810/03/2019 22:44

Not at all. I have a problem with people giving cheek to one of our elder …Not at all. I have a problem with people giving cheek to one of our elder statesmen

He's younger than you ... and I saw that Japanese woman claiming she's the oldest person alive this morning Deeky. Did you contact the relevant authorities to report fraud?
    Not to go off topic of the thread... I always take a few pebbles off the top layer of the beach ...........

I think it's called Skimming

37231928-q2oO0.jpg
    arcangel11110/03/2019 23:03

If you are talking about Deeky, I've never heard him mention it once. If …If you are talking about Deeky, I've never heard him mention it once. If you are referring to my good self? why, I never tell anyone I was on Top Gear .......... You, Sir. Make me smile every time I come on here

I don't know why you think he might be referring to me. As it happens, I did makes some....erm...a (brief) appearance in a big-budget TV series, playing alongside Vincent D'Onofrio, but I'm pretty sure I've never mentioned it before.

You were on Top Gear?
    arcangel11110/03/2019 23:04

He's younger than you ... and I saw that Japanese woman claiming she's the …He's younger than you ... and I saw that Japanese woman claiming she's the oldest person alive this morning Deeky. Did you contact the relevant authorities to report fraud?

Who rattled your cage anyway? FYI, virtually everyone is younger than me. You can be younger than me and still be an elder statesman
    I'm lucky enough to live near LLangennith which has the most beautiful rocks and pebbles I have ever seen.

2.bp.blogspot.com/_Rw…jpg Eat your hearts out, you rock stealers!:p
    I guess I should be grateful that you uploaded one of my more flattering ones then Many thanks.
    Willy_Wonka10th Mar

I get it. You are the internet police for this site. Try & go to the beach …I get it. You are the internet police for this site. Try & go to the beach & take some plastic away next time you go. We always do that. Beach police is better than random website police.

I don't do beaches.

37231315-LvGLx.jpg
    Paddy_o_furniture10/03/2019 22:20

Just for the record I still have the rocks. 10 years ago, where did the t …Just for the record I still have the rocks. 10 years ago, where did the time go?

I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that did …I suspect you spent your time on a TV show.There is another member that did that. He never mentions it though.I expect he'll be along in a while to not mention it again.

arcangel11110/03/2019 23:03

If you are talking about Deeky, I've never heard him mention it once. If yo …If you are talking about Deeky, I've never heard him mention it once. If you are referring to my good self? why, I never tell anyone I was on Top Gear .......... You, Sir. Make me smile every time I come on here

You and ? Why are we only getting to hear about this for the first time now?

Seriously; how modest of you!

If was still active, she could recount her TV appearances. That may put you to shame
    Author
    choc1969;5375231

Yes, its illegal

Naughty me then
    Author
    choc1969;5375264

Not illegal to take shells but rocks, pebbles etc are an environmental … Not illegal to take shells but rocks, pebbles etc are an environmental issue so DEFRA have laws to keep beaches intact.......which is why you can buy rocks etc in DIY stores.....understandable really.

My rock was washed up from international waters. I got a happier beardie now anyway. She prefers her new rock.
    Author
    lil_tiger;5375304

When I went to Scarborough with a friend we brought back all (4) … When I went to Scarborough with a friend we brought back all (4) housemates rocks back....and since then we have painted and named them...they are our pet rocks and kindly hold our doors open for us :)....I guess they will need to go into hiding!!! lol

They are already incognito, you have nothing to worry about
    lol i greatly enjoyed reading this thread very enlightening
    So I can blame you lot for the coastal erosion that is about to claim my house :cry:

no but seriously that's why you're not allowed to take the rocks, they break up the power behind the waves before they hit land. None of you do geography?
    I get my rock from the shops on the sea side

Taste good
    realfriendlyman;5376162

I never knew about this...I used to always scour the beach looking for … I never knew about this...I used to always scour the beach looking for momentos and now I know I was breaking the law...there goes my morals that I never intentionally stole something. :giggle:The kids will be so disappointed when the beach police arrest them for finding unique rocks...sounds like the crime rate in this country is about to hit the roof...or sea even :lol:

Yep - I have all my rocks stashed away so that when CID burst the door down and arrest me for being a rock thief I can plead for leniency. I do get them out at night under the covers...to give em a quick polish. :whistling:

My understanding is that any large scale removal is illegal. ie for commercial purposes without licence but including taking away sand or gravel in quantities for your rockery etc. You cannot go with a trailer and stock up. The occasional 'pilfering' of pebbles or fossils is ok.

For gold and mineral extraction however I think you are allowed to take up to 1 tonne of material without licence for 'research and investigation' purposes.

[SIZE="1"](yes i am a geologist !!)[/SIZE] :oops:
    "Well ive made a full rockery, several wood bark fires and buckets full of shells" -

That's nothing. I've made a life size replica of the gobi dessert in my back garden from all the sand brought home in our shoes, socks, swimwear, bags and other nooks and crevices which I am unable to specify on a family forum.
    Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
    bug199;5375833

I'm more into International Rock Theft..... I've had part of Karnak … I'm more into International Rock Theft..... I've had part of Karnak Temple and some Pharoahs tomb in my back garden for the last 10 years or so :whistling:

Me too, I have a chunk of the Berlin wall, a small bit of a temple in Peru, a bit of a pyramid, and a small chunk of the wailing wall, oh and a couple of bits of a Roman amphitheatre.

I await arrest from interpol :whistling:
    I took some donkey poo off a beach once, have i broke the law?
    Illegal with a penalty of life imprisonment. With no chance of parole. And no sky tv or Playstation.
    where did you get my pic from?
    Author
    Dannyrobbo04/11/2018 21:11

Comment deleted

Can a Mod please explain why this thread has had a massive clean up? Nothing offensive has been said anywhere and it (despite it's age) is probably the most active thread on ask/misc.
    deleted208706705/11/2018 21:10

Yes I know, and that is a good thing. You can collect anything that lands …Yes I know, and that is a good thing. You can collect anything that lands (washed up) on a public access beach where the original owner cannot be traced, and that includes flotsam and jetsam and loose fossils. Go for it!

Not everything found is legal to collect

telegraph.co.uk/new…ed/
    Paddy_o_furniture5th Nov

Can a Mod please explain why this thread has had a massive clean up? …Can a Mod please explain why this thread has had a massive clean up? Nothing offensive has been said anywhere and it (despite it's age) is probably the most active thread on ask/misc.

I got deleted message also last night, I didn’t say anything offensive and was told to keep on topic must have been a quiet night on the mod front, or they had to miss the fireworks.
    Paddy_o_furniture5th Nov 2018

Can a Mod please explain why this thread has had a massive clean up? …Can a Mod please explain why this thread has had a massive clean up? Nothing offensive has been said anywhere and it (despite it's age) is probably the most active thread on ask/misc.

If you say so paddy

37229853-hDuFu.jpg

had this on countryfile a while back

itv.com/new…ch/
    37229853-XtwE9.jpg
    mad world sad world (edited)
    Never heard...... Take nothing but photos as and leave nothing but footprints..
    eslick10/03/2019 18:47

I wish they would close old threads another one opened up yet again.

I "reported" this one over six hours ago.

Others I "reported" today have had a mix of new comments being removed, comments removed & locked, or just left alone.
    deleted1781210/03/2019 18:54

I "reported" this one over six hours ago.

Why? Are you the internet police?

If you can take a hessian bag with you to the beach every time you go & fill it up with flotsam and jetsam then you have a place in heaven.
    deleted1781210/03/2019 20:13

It is one of the many services I provide.

I get it. You are the internet police for this site.

Try & go to the beach & take some plastic away next time you go. We always do that. Beach police is better than random website police.
's avatar