Groups

Is it me or companys can get away with murder?

Travel companies - selling you holidays that are a complete lie even when it says 'swimming pool' and you get there and there is no pool, then you complain and they just apoligize and you have to go to small claims to get anywhere

search engine comparisons - finally find the deal you want, then you click on it it comes up 'sorry price has just gone up' by then your fed up and just pay

Phone companies - LG selling phones with dodgy bootloader and thousands of owner left stuff because they rooted phone and lg will not help, even though fault nothing to do with this, or phone has problem after warranty

Cars - selling cars with known faults that only a dealer can repair and charge you a fortune for a simple fix, also charging a investigation fee lot of the time when they have had the same car with problem in several times a week

Is it me or are companies getting more and more dodgy?

maybe the goverment are allowing it and companies doing it to make the lost profit or just greed I dunno

Rant over haha

30 Comments

I think your own use of the word"greed" sums it up correctly.

Need to hold these companies and their managers to account, but takes lots of time and effort for the few individuals. But to club up with tens of your best friends and take turns to counter these rip off managers.

Original Poster

splender

Need to hold these companies and their managers to account, but takes … Need to hold these companies and their managers to account, but takes lots of time and effort for the few individuals. But to club up with tens of your best friends and take turns to counter these rip off managers.

what type of situation are you referring too?

Inb4 Brexit.!

Original Poster

shauneco

Inb4 Brexit.!

It's all an excuse to charge more and not annoy customers as much , i really think there shotting themself in the foot though people are fed up and will just not buy them altogether

'Twas ever thus I'm afraid . Nothing new . Victorians were doing it long before any of us were born

Banned

car dealers have to give few months warranty now, it's the law ! so keep that in mind

psychobitchfromhell

'Twas ever thus I'm afraid . Nothing new . Victorians were doing it long … 'Twas ever thus I'm afraid . Nothing new . Victorians were doing it long before any of us were born

This.

Conmen are as old as capitalism, the only thing that's changed is the technology

Honesty & integrity are getting rare commodities now.

splender

Need to hold these companies and their managers to account, but takes … Need to hold these companies and their managers to account, but takes lots of time and effort for the few individuals. But to club up with tens of your best friends and take turns to counter these rip off managers.

Like companies breaching Data Protection Act coupled with take it or leave it approach e.g. one training company charges money for £2000 course but needed a National Insurance number registration. They couldn't explain why NI number was needed but collected it away. Breaches of laws like these is very common...luckily fines are getting bigger. Takes days to take it up with the Information Commissioner and "fights" with senior management. Had issue with EE too on this Data Protection Act, requesting for passport photocopy to be sent over insecure connections , to a party that outsourced to the Phillipines. In the end EE lawyer relented.
    Funeral expenses are another huge topic, burial fees with councils rocketed year on year since 30 years ago.
    Car repair is another major con.
    appliances repair is too
    a common one is big travel web sites like Expedia, Hotel.... these have analytics running, soups your anonymised data and jack up your price by abother £50 just as when you click to buy. Had this happened a few times, switched to another computer, whack, lower price immediately. These analytics programmes are hugely successfull to maximise prices. I got so fed up with them I have since use smaller overseas sites.
    last year or so, telephoned BA, to change date of flight in the morning, no extra charge other than £100 admin fee. Then lunch time rung again to action it, was told by Indian outsourced desk that there was extra £800. So I telephoned a few times until I got back to BA Call Centre, whack, just £100 again, no extra £800.

Edited by: "splender" 1st Oct 2016

spoo

This.Conmen are as old as capitalism, the only thing that's changed is … This.Conmen are as old as capitalism, the only thing that's changed is the technology

Indeed so

landros1

Likes of Waitrose , John Lewis, Cooperatives, Nationwide, ...still good
    Edited by: "splender" 2nd Oct 2016

Banned

shauneco

Inb4 Brexit.!

It's because of Brexit that the weather is racist now. Don't you know that?

Don't blame the companies.

Blame the people that purchase their items and still come back for more when the next shiny new version comes along.

A fool and their money are easily parted and the UK has quite a few million of them.

reddit

Don't blame the companies.Blame the people that purchase their items and … Don't blame the companies.Blame the people that purchase their items and still come back for more when the next shiny new version comes along.A fool and their money are easily parted and the UK has quite a few million of them.

A Rogue Trader? A Watchdog investigated Company? Holiday Company from Hell? Fake Britain?

landros1

splender

Likes of Waitress, John Lewis, Cooperatives, Nationwide, ...still good

Any particular waitress?

landros1

splender

Likes of Waitress, John Lewis, Cooperatives, Nationwide, ...still good

Miss Auto Spellchecker-Waitrose , she is the most frequent migrant helping the English with smart devices how to spell correctly and automatically.
    Edited by: "splender" 2nd Oct 2016

psychobitchfromhell

'Twas ever thus I'm afraid . Nothing new . Victorians were doing it long … 'Twas ever thus I'm afraid . Nothing new . Victorians were doing it long before any of us were born

​Even deeky?

splender

I hope you don't mean the 'Cooperative Food'. I don't see any integrity in charging an extra 20-30% for the same stuff available elsewhere.

splender

Like companies breaching Data Protection Act coupled with take it or … Like companies breaching Data Protection Act coupled with take it or leave it approach e.g. one training company charges money for £2000 course but needed a National Insurance number registration. They couldn't explain why NI number was needed but collected it away. Breaches of laws like these is very common...luckily fines are getting bigger. Takes days to take it up with the Information Commissioner and "fights" with senior management. Had issue with EE too on this Data Protection Act, requesting for passport photocopy to be sent over insecure connections , to a party that outsourced to the Phillipines. In the end EE lawyer relented..Funeral expenses are another huge topic, burial fees with councils rocketed year on year since 30 years ago..Car repair is another major con..appliances repair is too.a common one is big travel web sites like Expedia, Hotel.... these have analytics running, soups your anonymised data and jack up your price by abother £50 just as when you click to buy. Had this happened a few times, switched to another computer, whack, lower price immediately. These analytics programmes are hugely successfull to maximise prices. I got so fed up with them I have since use smaller overseas sites.. last year or so, telephoned BA, to change date of flight in the morning, no extra charge other than £100 admin fee. Then lunch time rung again to action it, was told by Indian outsourced desk that there was extra £800. So I telephoned a few times until I got back to BA Call Centre, whack, just £100 again, no extra £800.

mm thanks for this, it explains a recent issue, I was organising a city break for 10 of us, 2 nights a a hilton, good price, £99 B&B, 5 rooms 2 nights, but 6 hours later, rooms were £149!!, so we ended up not going. can you aviod this analitics thing?

did everyone know about this?

miles136

mm thanks for this, it explains a recent issue, I was organising a city … mm thanks for this, it explains a recent issue, I was organising a city break for 10 of us, 2 nights a a hilton, good price, £99 B&B, 5 rooms 2 nights, but 6 hours later, rooms were £149!!, so we ended up not going. can you aviod this analitics thing?did everyone know about this?

I am too sure how to do avoid this analytics completely by studying it. These are my methods:-
    1/ Use one computer for search and then another computer to buy (perhaps most effective? ) and if the tracker know your account name then you could have multiple email names
    2/ Use "Private Window" in browser to browse, then close this to clear all history and cookies and order via another browser
    3/ Use Firefox add ons to prevent java script from running to the minimum, then again these web sites then don't function most of the time, so this is not a good total method, but these add on can selective block analytics and marketing java apps from running; I use NO Script in Firefix, uMatrix in Opera, and these add ons get technical too.
    4/ If all else fail, just like for British goods and services, stuff them British and American companies and go for Belgium, German, French, Hong Kong and Chinese travel companies or even book directly with resort/hotel. Chinese agents , like their goods, sell the cheapest flight tickets, use eLONG, Qunar, may be their web sites are a bit daunting to start with but patience pays off and they are improving all the time to cut into the English speaking world. These companies also use analytics but I have had cheaper flights using them than Expedia, Lastminute etc.. consistently for the same flights.

chimp14uk

I hope you don't mean the 'Cooperative Food'. I don't see any integrity … I hope you don't mean the 'Cooperative Food'. I don't see any integrity in charging an extra 20-30% for the same stuff available elsewhere.

That's the same as Sainsburys, M&S, Waitrise and Tesco expresses, more expensive than big stores especially the local Patel stores are knocked out of business.

miles136

mm thanks for this, it explains a recent issue, I was organising a city … mm thanks for this, it explains a recent issue, I was organising a city break for 10 of us, 2 nights a a hilton, good price, £99 B&B, 5 rooms 2 nights, but 6 hours later, rooms were £149!!, so we ended up not going. can you aviod this analitics thing?did everyone know about this?

To conclude, I stopped using HOTEL.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Opodo, they are always inevitably more expensive so I use them for reference and information only, all these big Americanised British companies and go instead with smaller British agents and other foreign companies. Put it this way, these large corporations are able to pay £x million /yr for the best IT analytics programmers and data mining databases.

splender

.... and if the tracker know your account name then you could have … .... and if the tracker know your account name then you could have multiple email names2/ Use "Private Window" in browser to browse, then close this to clear all history and cookies and order via another browser3/ Use Firefox add ons to prevent java script from running to the minimum, then again these web sites then don't function most of the time, so this is not a good total method, but these add on can selective block analytics and marketing java apps from running; I use NO Script in Firefix, uMatrix in Opera, and these add ons get technical too.4/ If all else fail, just like for British goods and services, stuff them British and American companies and go for Belgium, German, French, Hong Kong and Chinese travel companies or even book directly with resort/hotel. Chinese agents , like their goods, sell the cheapest flight tickets, use eLONG, Qunar, may be their web sites are a bit daunting to start with but patience pays off and they are improving all the time to cut into the English speaking world. These companies also use analytics but I have had cheaper flights using them than Expedia, Lastminute etc.. consistently for the same flights.

Great advice.

Unfortunately, it's the sad state of things.
    You could buy an electrical item in the past and it would last 20 years. Nowadays, they last a year or two!

Original Poster

splender

Like companies breaching Data Protection Act coupled with take it or … Like companies breaching Data Protection Act coupled with take it or leave it approach e.g. one training company charges money for £2000 course but needed a National Insurance number registration. They couldn't explain why NI number was needed but collected it away. Breaches of laws like these is very common...luckily fines are getting bigger. Takes days to take it up with the Information Commissioner and "fights" with senior management. Had issue with EE too on this Data Protection Act, requesting for passport photocopy to be sent over insecure connections , to a party that outsourced to the Phillipines. In the end EE lawyer relented..Funeral expenses are another huge topic, burial fees with councils rocketed year on year since 30 years ago..Car repair is another major con..appliances repair is too.a common one is big travel web sites like Expedia, Hotel.... these have analytics running, soups your anonymised data and jack up your price by abother £50 just as when you click to buy. Had this happened a few times, switched to another computer, whack, lower price immediately. These analytics programmes are hugely successfull to maximise prices. I got so fed up with them I have since use smaller overseas sites.. last year or so, telephoned BA, to change date of flight in the morning, no extra charge other than £100 admin fee. Then lunch time rung again to action it, was told by Indian outsourced desk that there was extra £800. So I telephoned a few times until I got back to BA Call Centre, whack, just £100 again, no extra £800.

Skyscanner is prime example ridculously, i always search for ages then when booking quickly put private mode on to check so bad and wrong, how its legal i do not know

Original Poster

miles136

On the top right corner click on the tab and put private mode or incognito mode, this does not let browser see data and thus won't affect search results, so when booking switch bewteen them

miles136

PMSL X) Freudian slip Miles? We really do need to find you a bloke

splender

Remember the recent problems of the CO-OP senior management?

landros1

Remember the recent problems of the CO-OP senior management?

Yes, does it still persist?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Buy back on Euros to £££23
      2. Digital ps4 games33
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)22
      4. Cheap northface alternatives?22

See more discussions