Is it normal for a gas heating boiler to have a bit of an orange flame mixed in with the blue?

Posted 8th Jan 2019
So the flame is blue with orange mixed in the middle is this normal? Have a carbon monoxide detector and that hasn't gone off. It could have been like this for a while and I haven't noticed it and worrying over nothing
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Without a picture, no-one can be sure. But flames are normally blue about 1/ way down with an orange top

Look up some boiler videos on youtube or, better still, get an engineer to give your boiler its annual service (without which, any boiler related incidents may well not be covered by house insurance)
Isn't orange a sign of impurity. Check the bottom of your saucepan/around the gas ring and make sure you haven't got something stuck on it.
m1keyp1key08/01/2019 18:40

Isn't orange a sign of impurity. Check the bottom of your saucepan/around …Isn't orange a sign of impurity. Check the bottom of your saucepan/around the gas ring and make sure you haven't got something stuck on it.

think a gas heating boilers not the gas cooker
MynameisM08/01/2019 18:50

think a gas heating boilers not the gas cooker

Wasn't reading the title properly and feeling hungry lol
ccnp08/01/2019 18:35

Without a picture, no-one can be sure. But flames are normally blue about …Without a picture, no-one can be sure. But flames are normally blue about 1/ way down with an orange topLook up some boiler videos on youtube or, better still, get an engineer to give your boiler its annual service (without which, any boiler related incidents may well not be covered by house insurance)

Had annual service in September with no issues. Now I have looked at the flams more looks to be more an orange flicker within the blue
m1keyp1key9 m ago

Wasn't reading the title properly and feeling hungry lol

Heat from me then.
MrHappyGilmore08/01/2019 19:01

Had annual service in September with no issues. Now I have looked at the …Had annual service in September with no issues. Now I have looked at the flams more looks to be more an orange flicker within the blue

Think it's quite normal a small amount. Yellow flame is more serious.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 8th Jan 2019
An orange flame usually means that there is insufficient air intake. This may also cause a build up of soot.
Edited by: "radium" 8th Jan 2019
mine has a small amount of orange at the tip of the flames, too.

i dont think it's a problem, it's an old boiler so probably isn't all that efficient anyway...
adamspencer9508/01/2019 19:40

mine has a small amount of orange at the tip of the flames, too. i dont …mine has a small amount of orange at the tip of the flames, too. i dont think it's a problem, it's an old boiler so probably isn't all that efficient anyway...

Yea mine is very old as well. Does yours have a bit of orange in the middle of the blue flame as well?
MrHappyGilmore08/01/2019 19:42

Yea mine is very old as well. Does yours have a bit of orange in the …Yea mine is very old as well. Does yours have a bit of orange in the middle of the blue flame as well?

not sure what you mean about 'the middle'

where the gas exits the burner holes its a completely blue triangle. the orange is then on top of this blue bit....

hard to describe :/
36778655-WXXTV.jpgif there is orange on top of the first cone (which is lighter coloured blue in the picture) then that is OK.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants