Is it ok for a surveyor to damaged you walls?

32 replies
Found 8th Feb
Just had a survey done on our house for the buyers, the surveyor has left 15 sets of puncture halls across various walls, where he was pushing his damp metre through the plaster?

Is that allowed, before I complain?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/akV4tNr.jpg

You let him didn't you? What are you going to complain about?

Banned

Well if that's the only way of testing it, I guess so?

Bit of pollyfiller and some craft paint the right colour no one will know

Bit of a rude comment. He's asking for help not some rude person to make a stupid comment. I think what he done was part of his job. You could just fill them in with some painters mate or wall filler.

I wouldn't worry. New owners will probably have more pressing priorities for redecoration upon moving in.

Looking at the image, I would be more concerned about the subsidence.

I wouldn't worry to much, hopefully there was no damp and you will get your sale, the new people cant say much as it was their surveyor that did it.

That isn't a valuation survey, it is a full survey ie the buyer has asked for a professional opinion as to the integrity of the house. The two holes are for a current test for damp and that is a standard part of a full survey. You could have refused but any sensible buyer would then pull out of the purchase or revalue the house on the basis it was damp ( whether it is or not ).

Personally I wouldn't be overly happy. Supposing this sale doesn't proceed. You could in theory have many surveys carried out by potential buyers. Each surveyor doing his own damage. Not to mention, these damp sensors are a waste of time anyhow.

Original Poster

BagABargain78

Personally I wouldn't be overly happy. Supposing this sale doesn't … Personally I wouldn't be overly happy. Supposing this sale doesn't proceed. You could in theory have many surveys carried out by potential buyers. Each surveyor doing his own damage. Not to mention, these damp sensors are a waste of time anyhow.

we had a survey done 2 months ago (buyer lost his buyer, so chain collapsed) the surveyor then did no damage, I dont see how it is acceptable to pepper your walls with these holes, there is 15 sets like that
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 8th Feb

I would be more concerned with your painting skills, that looks like the paint was applied with a yard broom.

AndyRoyd

Looking at the image, I would be more concerned about the subsidence.

And the asbestos.

Two ways it could go,  first the damp test is fine and you have just sold your house, or secondly, it's found huge issues that mean you need to treat the walls, replaster and paint anyway before you can actually sell it.

I think I'd be surprised at this, having never experienced it before. I'd at least have expected some warning that it would happen. I'd have also expected the surveyor to be more considered about the positioning; he / she could have just as easily made the holes level.

Sorry but he hasn't done his job properly and has totally disrespected you and your property. As the above comment says, there should have at least some warning. The mechanic has left scratches on your car whilst changing the tyres.
Edited by: "kay1992" 8th Feb

kay1992

Sorry but he hasn't done his job properly and has totally disrespected … Sorry but he hasn't done his job properly and has totally disrespected you and your property. As the above comment says, there should have at least some warning.

A surveyor is putting him self on the line with his report, any comeback will be on his shoulders and insurance, a few small holes is no big deal.

dogpatch

That isn't a valuation survey, it is a full survey ie the buyer has asked … That isn't a valuation survey, it is a full survey ie the buyer has asked for a professional opinion as to the integrity of the house. The two holes are for a current test for damp and that is a standard part of a full survey. You could have refused but any sensible buyer would then pull out of the purchase or revalue the house on the basis it was damp ( whether it is or not ).

Exactly. And it's a spot of paint to cover it and at most a tiny bit of filling, although that would be unnecessary in most people's books.

The guy did a test the only way you can do such a test. People make such a fuss over the smallest things these days. X)

airfix

A surveyor is putting him self on the line with his report, any comeback … A surveyor is putting him self on the line with his report, any comeback will be on his shoulders and insurance, a few small holes is no big deal.

​If he told me there would be holes on the wall afterwards I would say forget it. To some fussy people like me it's a big deal oO

No. The damp meter shouldnt need to penetrate it unless it was a particularly thick paper etc. Normally just touching the wall should do it.

The damp meter HAS to penetrate before it can take a reading.

Did he even give you any choice about where to do the tests?

From other posts it sounds like it is unavoidable, but it sounds like he / she did it with little regard for the home owner. A conversation to explain it before just going ahead would have made all the difference. I'd be inclined to suggest this to the company.

Sorted
https://s23.postimg.org/6ewmqtiwb/IMG_6803.jpg

Banned

To be fair, you probably only notice most of them because you know they are there.

Banned

Predikuesi

Sorted

Cheers for the giggle

Tbh, I wouldn't complain, worst case, little bit of paint and filler, plus if there are issues, at least you'll know, damp isn't something you want. He should have warned you though prior. Looks like the buyers have asked for a full and comprehensive survey of the property and not a basic one!

wait till you get report, no damp but buyer negotiates lower price for 15 holes in wall.

or should say 30

prbli innit

You're selling the house. Bang some toothpaste in the holes and forget about it

X)

DKLS

I would be more concerned with your painting skills, that looks like the … I would be more concerned with your painting skills, that looks like the paint was applied with a yard broom.

Looks like you need to paint the walls properly anyway, so what's the problem.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…910
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66
    3. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75865
    4. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88

See more discussions