Expired

Is it ok to eat expired frozen food?

Found 2nd Oct 2011
We've been eating a lot of fresh food recently and we kinda forgot about our deep freezer full of frozen food and nearly everything has gone off, which is about £100+ worth of food and ready meals.

Is it safe to eat them or should we throw it all out, as I'm turkish and we don't like wasting money? haha

1. Misc
  2. Food
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Food
25 Comments

Eat it and see, what's the worst that can happen?

i know id eat it

best before or use by?

If you buy sausages and put them in the freezer you know that they don't go off when it says on the packet right?

Already frozen food is a different matter

It is ok. This use by date stuff is absolute nonsense.

Banned

I usually wait until something goes out of date before consuming it. It's better for your health and immune system as it then creates antibodies.

Original Poster

quite a bit of it has past the BEST BEFORE date by upto 6 months and they were already frozen food.

Most of them are unopened though, so we're thinking that it may be fine if it's not opened, what does everyone else think?
Edited by: "realfriendlyman" 2nd Oct 2011

If it has a best before then it will be fine, the taste may be not be quite as good but it will be fine. The only thing I would be cautious of is seafood/fish and chicken.

If its use by then I would throw it.

celticjoe

i know id eat it

I personally wouldn't take any food advice from a person who is happy to stick a mars bar in a deep fat fryer (_;)

If you're into fresh food now, why not just bin the lot? If losing the money bothers you then just eat it and see what happens. That's the only way you'll find out for sure.

You'll almost certainly be fine, if the freezer is a good one and has kept it constantly at < -15 it should be fine if its only within a month or two.

There was a documentary on this and some guy was eating gone off food including chicken etc. Did no harm to him.

frozen food yes, fridge food no

Banned

realfriendlyman

quite a bit of it has past the BEST BEFORE date by upto 6 months and they … quite a bit of it has past the BEST BEFORE date by upto 6 months and they were already frozen food.Most of them are unopened though, so we're thinking that it may be fine if it's not opened, what does everyone else think?

Anything best before is fine, just means it won't taste as good (apparently).

Banned

Just to be on the safe side you should start self medicating/book a doctors appointment and update your will now.

Sell the lot to another Turk who doesnt care about fresh food, everybody wins?

whatsThePoint

If your freezer is only at -15 i'd get a new one, should be -18 at least

Or change your freezer temp oO

'Best Before' means exactly that. It is best before this date but can quite safely be eaten after that date.

'Use By' means it must be used by the date or it may be dangerous to eat afterwards.

Got some year out of date Findus minced beef pancakes in the freezer had some the other day and im still here and they tasted fine.

It might have freezer burn so the texture might not be quite right, but it is safe to eat.

just reminded me we got a turkey there from last xmas.... oO

We have xmas puds bought in January reductions 2010 still (and still in date)

dga

These budget frozen food shops often resell items that have been bought … These budget frozen food shops often resell items that have been bought back in bulk from the big shops due to close expirey dates. The buyer can recertify the goods and extend the best before date. Busy Bee (Liverpool shop) etc can resell at a bargain price with branded food. Seems too good to be true? That why they are scrapping this daft best before system.

i didnt know that!!!

Banned

plumberman01

i didnt know that!!!

Look for repackaged food stuffs in clear bags, usually newly printed up. It's more common to place a label over the old date.

There's nothing wrong going on, it's just the food business gone nuts.

(apologies for the horrendous spelling, I'm thick :))

Banned

Seriously dude. Maybe you can get a point from your home game. It's only football and really isn't worth an attempted suicide. Besides, this method is not guaranteed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions