Is it ok to still use out of date fresh milk?

Found 17th Feb 2015
Hi
I was just wondering if it is still ok to use out of date fresh milk which has been in the fridge and looks and smells good. Or should it be discarded as it is now out of date and fresh milk may harbour bacteria if out of date. And if you can use it for how long out of date is ok to use.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Yep. In the days before best before dates... A quick sniff of the milk would tell u if it is off.
Same with most food really if it looks / smells OK it generally will be
No, the printed black date is law-if you use this milk you will be liable under the adults in need of care act!
As long as it doesn't smell I use it and I've never been ill from it, it usually goes bad a couple of days after the date on the bottle depending where it's from. You'll know by the smell and/or the taste; you don't want the milk to taste a little bit sour! If you're concerned take a tiny sip and see what you think.

Edited by: "rikkif1990" 17th Feb 2015
Sniff test works and works well.
Yip, as the above have answered barr the pillock answer number two!!!! oO

I frequently use milk 2-3 days out of date. Give the bottle a wee shake, open and sniff! Your beak will let you know the answer!! X)
you'll know by the taste
Nk74

Yip, as the above have answered barr the pillock answer number two!!!! … Yip, as the above have answered barr the pillock answer number two!!!! oOI frequently use milk 2-3 days out of date. Give the bottle a wee shake, open and sniff! Your beak will let you know the answer!! X)

Sorry, but there have been a number of questions similar to this over the last few weeks and it's getting frustrating that people are becoming so overly cautious about everything. I apologise for my sarcasm if it caused offence.
I thought this was a joke,
came onto see if any good deals were about and this pops up!
Mermoo

Sorry, but there have been a number of questions similar to this over the … Sorry, but there have been a number of questions similar to this over the last few weeks and it's getting frustrating that people are becoming so overly cautious about everything. I apologise for my sarcasm if it caused offence.

A daft question deserves a daft answer
If it smells ok and looks ok, the chances are it is ok.

Dairy stuff normally smells fairly bad once it's turned. Mould etc can just be cut off
I've had milk a week out of date before. Generally milk with less fat in it will last longer in my experience. You'll know if it's on the turn as sour milk smells disgusting. If it doesn't smell then I drink it.
I only really use milk for tea and if it mixes then its fine. Sure ive had milk nearly 2 weeks out of date
I always go by does it look okay, then does is smell okay? If so, taste it! Use By's / Best Before's are guidelines, as the temperature of fridges varies, some people keep food out of the fridge for ages (my sister leaves the milk sitting by the kettle for hours (ugh) etc. So yes, look, smell, taste! If you're having it for hot drinks, it will separate and go weird looking in your drink if it's turned bad. I don't go through milk quickly so I always buy Tesco's version of Cravendale, i.e. "pure filtered milk". It lasts 21 days usually after opened, if you keep it in the fridge.

Comment

misterleoni

I've had milk a week out of date before. Generally milk with less fat in … I've had milk a week out of date before. Generally milk with less fat in it will last longer in my experience. You'll know if it's on the turn as sour milk smells disgusting. If it doesn't smell then I drink it.

davidian84

I only really use milk for tea and if it mixes then its fine. Sure ive … I only really use milk for tea and if it mixes then its fine. Sure ive had milk nearly 2 weeks out of date

I always used to either give to neighbours or throw any perishables, including milk, whenever we went on holiday. I forgot once, had bought milk on way back from the airport, and groaned when I saw milk sat in the fridge- we'd been away for 2 weeks, - and the milk was absolutely fine! Oddly enough, it was the opened skimmed milk that was ' on the turn', and the unopened skimmed that turned before we'd used it all ? Since then, I just buy my milk once a week, for what we're going to use that week- it's actually saved me loads, as popping in sainsburys for milk every other day generally lead to me picking up other bits I hadn't intended buying. Well, the milk the milkman used to leave on the doorstep never had sell by/ use by on? Sniff/ taste a bit on a spoon test did us then if it looked a bit suss
I'll be honest milk always smells funny to me no matter how fresh it is but if it's off then it will split when you warm it.
speedy2014

I'll be honest milk always smells funny to me no matter how fresh it is … I'll be honest milk always smells funny to me no matter how fresh it is but if it's off then it will split when you warm it.

I'm the same and think milk smells a bit like old socks no matter how fresh.
Banned
If it's out of date how can it be fresh?
If you don't use much milk, get Cravendale.
It's specially filtered and the best before date is much longer than normal milk
Also putting the temperature lower in your fridge will make it last longer!
I would not chance it to be honest. Sour milk can be a breeding ground for argoclyptic bacteria which when consumed attack your vertronic aspendums and can leave you looking like Steven Fry for the rest of your life.

Best bin it and get a bottle of Russian Standard instead. Does a good enough job on my Frosties in the morning.
most people eat cheese and some of that is matured over years, its just milk.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions