Groups

Is it ok to wear a black dress to a wedding reception?

My boyfriend and I have been invited to a wedding in April.

I have lots of nice dresses but they are nearly all black. I haven't been to a wedding since I was young so no idea what to wear.

Is it ok to wear a black dress if I team it with coloured accessories? I was thinking purple clutch bag and purple bracelets, etc.

39 Comments

I would definately ask the bride:)

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;4710547

I would definately ask the bride:)

I only know the groom, I have never met the fiance!

How would you feel if someone turned up at your wedding wearing a black dress?

kimbyanne;4710556

I only know the groom, I have never met the fiance!

Could you not ask via him? If I ever get married you can come to mine and wear whatever you like :-D going to be in a field anyway and I'll be wearing a summer dress and a daisy chain :-D

I feel that all etiquette for weddings has gone out the window. I was at a wedding where some of the men were wearing jeans!! Wearing black is okay> You could also wear a coloured wrap or small shrug to add colour to the dress and buy coloured jewellery to match.

Hope thats helped =]

Original Poster

its only me;4710569

How would you feel if someone turned up at your wedding wearing a black … How would you feel if someone turned up at your wedding wearing a black dress?

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest but I would imagine there are plenty of women who would see it as a problem! I just prefer black dresses with coloured accessories but I don't want to upset the bride so I will probably just go out and buy a new purple dress so I match my boyfriends shirt - seems easy then wearing a black one then worrying that I have annoyed her!

I agree with mdynes, if your OH is wearing a lilac shirt then you can buy some lilac coloured jewellery or a shrug, that way you'll both match.

kimbyanne;4710586

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest but I would imagine there are plenty … Wouldnt bother me in the slightest but I would imagine there are plenty of women who would see it as a problem! I just prefer black dresses with coloured accessories but I don't want to upset the bride so I will probably just go out and buy a new purple dress so I match my boyfriends shirt - seems easy then wearing a black one then worrying that I have annoyed her!

Well if you are not sure - I think you might just have answered your own question!

I went to a wedding two years back and wore black, not an issue, I think attendance is more important.

kimbyanne;4710586

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest but I would imagine there are plenty … Wouldnt bother me in the slightest but I would imagine there are plenty of women who would see it as a problem! I just prefer black dresses with coloured accessories but I don't want to upset the bride so I will probably just go out and buy a new purple dress so I match my boyfriends shirt - seems easy then wearing a black one then worrying that I have annoyed her!

Ahh who gives a &*&*, wear what your comfortable in and if thats black then thats fine.

I was at a wedding the other week and women wear wearing black dressed trousers etc so I dont see where the problem would be.

And feck the bride, if shes never made the effort to meet ya then i'd ruin her big day and wear white.

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;4710576

Could you not ask via him? If I ever get married you can come to mine and … Could you not ask via him? If I ever get married you can come to mine and wear whatever you like :-D going to be in a field anyway and I'll be wearing a summer dress and a daisy chain :-D

Agreed! I can't be dealing with all that big posh wedding rubbish with hundreds of guests you haven't seen in years!

Good idea though, I might ask my boyfriend to get the groom to ask her - my boyfriend will probably forget to do that though...........

I wear black a lot, never any issues with the brides and as xena_morph says, 'attendance is more important'

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;4710603

Ahh who gives a &*&*, wear what your comfortable in and if thats black … Ahh who gives a &*&*, wear what your comfortable in and if thats black then thats fine.I was at a wedding the other week and women wear wearing black dressed trousers etc so I dont see where the problem would be.And feck the bride, if shes never made the effort to meet ya then i'd ruin her big day and wear white.

Lol - I don't think its that she cant be bothered to meet me, I think she is quite shy. My boyfriend has never spoken to her, only seen her from a distance - and they only live down the road from him!

you could just jazz it up with some colourful shoes and bag that match. I can't see that black would be a problem tbh... everyone will be looking at the bride and her dress.

kimbyanne;4710629

Lol - I don't think its that she cant be bothered to meet me, I think she … Lol - I don't think its that she cant be bothered to meet me, I think she is quite shy. My boyfriend has never spoken to her, only seen her from a distance - and they only live down the road from him!

Hope shes not having a big wedding them cos her face will be redder than a tomato.

I wore a blacky coloured dress to the wedding I was at the other week, it was like gold coloured under then like a black lacy layed over the top, was very pretty, the bride didnt care that I was wearing that, to be fair I spent more time getting drunk but thats no the point lol.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I think I might have a look around for a purple dress and if I can't find one I like, go with a black dress with purple accessories! Besides, we arent actually going to the wedding just the reception (as the wedding is on a weekday at at midday, neither of us can get the time off work!)

kimbyanne;4710649

Thanks for the replies, I think I might have a look around for a purple … Thanks for the replies, I think I might have a look around for a purple dress and if I can't find one I like, go with a black dress with purple accessories! Besides, we arent actually going to the wedding just the reception (as the wedding is on a weekday at at midday, neither of us can get the time off work!)

I cant see any problem at all with it just being the reception :thumbsup:

i have wore black to weddings and have seen loads of guest wearing black and especially if you are only going to reception best going with something you like im sure you will look fab

mdynes;4710581

I feel that all etiquette for weddings has gone out the window. I was at … I feel that all etiquette for weddings has gone out the window. I was at a wedding where some of the men were wearing jeans!! Wearing black is okay> You could also wear a coloured wrap or small shrug to add colour to the dress and buy coloured jewellery to match.Hope thats helped =]

I have to agree I worked in a hotel for over 10yrs and saw many wedding guest wearing the same clothes they would wear to the pub and had made no effort. I see nothing wrong with wearing a black dress and as some have already said you can add colour with your accessories.

I went to a wedding recently and people seemed to be wearing all sorts, right down to black suits and black hats with black dresses etc.You can always accessorise with jewellery,scarves and so on.

My freind was a bridesmaid and the bridesmaid dresses where black !

If I was you I'd wear whatever your comfortable in if I was going I would wear black as their lives are now both over :roll:

im sure its a nice dress so wont look morbid.... accessorise fab and ur sorted x

Black and white is very in at the moment, or so the ladie on This Mornig said

no many cultural taboos left, however this is a no no

Banned

You just go ahead and wear it m8.
    Show your feminine side.

you will get the odd snide remark, but isnt that the fun part.

craig guy;4712136

no many cultural taboos left, however this is a no no

Don't agree. All depends how it is worn. Provided it is classy with accesories there is no problem.

Don't understand why your outfit needs to match you bfrinds though?

You dont wear black to a wedding full stop!! altho in scotland i have seen guys wearing Black kilts

dont think a black dress is suitable to.....only for a funeral im afraid !!

I wore a black dress to both my sister in law's wedding last june and my friends at the weekend there. I wore a white fasinator and white stole to break up the colour. You'll be surprised at the amount of people who wear black dresses. I always thought that wearing a white dress at wedding was a no-no unless your the bride.

I wear black to every wedding I go to, my counsins wedding I wore pink accsesories with it. But I am comfortable in black, I always wear black. MY aunt went to the wedding with bright green hair, shes 60, and no one had a problem with that.

All of the cousins ended up wearing black to the wedding, completly unplanned, but looked great, lol

Original Poster

Ok, I think this is the dress I am wearing (I already own this by the way)

monsoon.co.uk/inv…ale

Teamed with some coloured accessories, what do you think?

I have done a bit of a poll at work and everything thinks it is ok to wear black, especially since I am only going to the reception!

Original Poster

Bump - I need opinions!

I got married 4 months ago and a few people wore black and it didn't bother me at all. The bride and groom will just be happy that you came

kimbyanne;4719231

Ok, I think this is the dress I am wearing (I already own this by the … Ok, I think this is the dress I am wearing (I already own this by the way)http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/35230803&bklist=icat,4,shop,women,wmidseasonsaleTeamed with some coloured accessories, what do you think?I have done a bit of a poll at work and everything thinks it is ok to wear black, especially since I am only going to the reception!

It looks nice esp since as it's not a block of black but broken up with the lacey bits. I'm sure with some nice colourful accessories that will look lovely.

I think as long as you have coloured accessories it should be ok!

its absolutely fine to wear black at a wedding especially if you wear the cocktail dress Audrey Hepburn style, elbow length gloves, nice hair do, accessories and shades like my mum did to my brothers wedding last year

fashion fades styles remains, lol at the "black at a wedding! never" brigade, don't know much do you, some morning suits are black, hahahahahahahaha

http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/images/audrey_hepburn.jpg

Original Poster

Ok, I am confused. Purple looks a bit gothic so I am not sure what colour to go for with accessories. I think thinking maybe cream or white accessories but then it make look a bit boring.

Any suggestions as to accessories? I really only need bracelets or bangles and a clutch bag, maybe a costume jewellery ring too? I don't need a necklace or anything as the dress has a high neckline.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER44
      2. Virgin Media when moving house58
      3. Digital ps4 games11
      4. Android Box539

See more discussions