Is it possible for a 18/19 year old to get insurance on a BMW 1 Series?

Found 17th Jul 2012
Is it possible for a 18/19 year old to get insurance on a BMW 1 Series?
Community Updates
MiscBMWInsurance
38 Comments
18/19 year old can get insured on most cars, for the right price.
For just them? Or a named driver?
Original Poster
jensangel

For just them? Or a named driver?

Just them
miikeyblue

18/19 year old can get insured on most cars, for the right price.

^This. What a ****in daft question.
Why bother. Just get a mini.
All depends how much money you have.
I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line. There are plenty of parameters insurance companies use when generating quotes though so yours might be considerably more, or less!
In b4 I end up having a rant about how first cars should be heaps of rubbish. If you get fantastic things from day 1 what are you ever going to work towards in life? First house going to be a 3 bed detached?!! Youth of today just want to finance everything and worry about it later rather than just start modest and work towards something big.

Whoops!
Dannyboy111

Just them

I hope they have plenty of money then there gonna need it ..............................
Go on a comparison website and better having older named drivers on the policy, should bring the insurance down.
From experience young inexperienced drivers in rear wheel drive cars is never a good thing. Nissan 200sx 'vs' Tree. Sadly the tree won.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

From experience young inexperienced drivers in rear wheel drive cars is … From experience young inexperienced drivers in rear wheel drive cars is never a good thing. Nissan 200sx 'vs' Tree. Sadly the tree won.

It might have beaten the car, but it didn't beat you...
nickw90

I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line. … I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line. There are plenty of parameters insurance companies use when generating quotes though so yours might be considerably more, or less!

Yeah, right.
nickw90

I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line. … I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line. There are plenty of parameters insurance companies use when generating quotes though so yours might be considerably more, or less!

When was this? 50 years ago?
I'm sure you could but I'm sure it'll make the insurance company you go with very very happy!
Banned
DragonChris

He's telling the truth, Here he is on a day out with his Missus

http://www.old-picture.com/american-history-1900-1930s/pictures/Old-Car-001.jpg
I'm 21 and have been insured with directline since I started driving 3 years ago. They are by far the cheapest for young drivers
Yeah, you'll get insured on it... will probably cost more than the car though.
If you are girl, its automatically half the price for young drivers but yet they want equal pay. If they want equal pay, give us equal insurance.
Edited by: "smellyonion" 17th Jul 2012
miikeyblue

It might have beaten the car, but it didn't beat you...

True, but technically I started the fight. If there was anybody in the back they would have been in a bad way. It made a big dint in the petrol tank, could have gone up with us in it.

Funny thing is my dad told me not to get it as I would crash it (the faith!). But back then you don't listen to your dad. I listen now but still take no notice! X)
n1k4i

I'm 21 and have been insured with directline since I started driving 3 … I'm 21 and have been insured with directline since I started driving 3 years ago. They are by far the cheapest for young drivers

When i was a young driver direct line was always most expencive and still is.
Banned
smellyonion

If you are girl, its automatically half the price for young drivers but … If you are girl, its automatically half the price for young drivers but yet they want equal pay. If they want equal pay, give us equal insurance.

Don't really think that insurance works like that though....
mceverready

Don't really think that insurance works like that though....

How so?
Insurance is based on risk and if it deems young male drivers to be the highest risk, they will pay the most. This is creating stereotypes, prejudice against the safe young male driver.

Now in the work place, if I employ the same way ethos. If I own a business, i could hire a women who may need a years maternity leave or a man who would take 3 months. What is the highest risk for the business(cost more money?).

Is this fair on women or safe male drivers..no.

See my point, you cannot emply one rule for something and not the other when it uses the same logic.
n1k4i

I'm 21 and have been insured with directline since I started driving 3 … I'm 21 and have been insured with directline since I started driving 3 years ago. They are by far the cheapest for young drivers

Yeah no, 3rd expensivest for me at 21..

HATE when people say "they are the cheapest" there is so many factors in car insurance you cant tell who is the cheapest.

Who is cheap for one is expensive for another.

Rant.
Edited by: "t0mm" 17th Jul 2012
Banned
smellyonion

How so? Insurance is based on risk and if it deems young male drivers to … How so? Insurance is based on risk and if it deems young male drivers to be the highest risk, they will pay the most. This is creating stereotypes, prejudice against the safe young male driver.Now in the work place, if I employ the same way ethos. If I own a business, i could hire a women who may need a years maternity leave or a man who would take 3 months. What is the highest risk for the business(cost more money?). Is this fair on women or safe male drivers..no.See my point, you cannot emply one rule for something and not the other when it uses the same logic.

It really is quite simple.

Its calculated on fact and statistics.

Men are more likely to make a claim than women (because Men historically make more claims than women), therefore their premiums would be higher.
DragonChris

Three years ago.
mceverready

It really is quite simple. Its calculated on fact and statistics. Men are … It really is quite simple. Its calculated on fact and statistics. Men are more likely to make a claim than women (because Men historically make more claims than women), therefore their premiums would be higher.

I fully get that.
(Repeating myself)
Using the same logic.

Women are statistically more likely to take time off work so therefore are usually paid less as they are higher risk. But this is considered a taboo and laws have been made to stop this.

Do you not see my point?
Banned
smellyonion

I fully get that.(Repeating myself)Using the same logic.Women are … I fully get that.(Repeating myself)Using the same logic.Women are statistically more likely to take time off work so therefore are usually paid less as they are higher risk. But this is considered a taboo and laws have been made to stop this.Do you not see my point?

Believe me I do.

I am ten times the driver my mrs is, yet my insurance is more expensive.

I think the difference between our two arguments is that insurance companies can quantify the losses more accurately.
smellyonion

How so? Insurance is based on risk and if it deems young male drivers to … How so? Insurance is based on risk and if it deems young male drivers to be the highest risk, they will pay the most. This is creating stereotypes, prejudice against the safe young male driver.Now in the work place, if I employ the same way ethos. If I own a business, i could hire a women who may need a years maternity leave or a man who would take 3 months. What is the highest risk for the business(cost more money?). Is this fair on women or safe male drivers..no.See my point, you cannot emply one rule for something and not the other when it uses the same logic.

Not any more. EU ruling as of December last yr insurance companies are no longer allowed to rate on males and females differently, even though young male drivers are more likely to have accidents.
nickw90

I got insured on one at 19, it was about £80 per month with Direct Line.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/wendy448/smileyhysterical.gif
deek72

What would you say if I told you I now pay half that per month for a 3 series?
nickw90

Three years ago.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5025/nonsenses.jpg

Edited by: "DragonChris" 17th Jul 2012
nickw90

What would you say if I told you I now pay half that per month for a 3 … What would you say if I told you I now pay half that per month for a 3 series?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/wendy448/smileyhysterical.gifhttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/wendy448/smileyhysterical.gif And when I stopped laughing I'd ask "where do you live? Bishop Rock?"
nickw90

What would you say if I told you I now pay half that per month for a 3 … What would you say if I told you I now pay half that per month for a 3 series?

I'd say.....

"Insurance is invalid if you made a materially incorrect statement to obtain it"

How the **** does an 18 year old afford a 1 series?
Very possible, but expect to pay £3K plus for it, put an older named driver on the policy for a little discount.

Ignore the comments about rear wheel drive, it makes little or no difference unless you are buying a powerhouse, which I doubt you are unless you want to pay millions to mr insurance.

Personally, having owned 2 1 Series BMW's - a 120D and 120 M Sport, I would consider going for a Mini Clubman, more fun to drive, same amount of room, and less insurance!
Ennui

How the **** does an 18 year old afford a 1 series?

I was driving one at 19, it can happen you know.....
aircanman

I was driving one at 19, it can happen you know.....

Tell a lie it was a 318ti
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions