Is it possible to build a pc capable of running fortnite for under £400

Found 8th MarEdited by:"bp2411"
Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me out here, my cousin's son wants a pc capable running fortnite and 2 monitors, I've built a few PC's in the past but always ask advice before building anything to be used for games. Budget is £400 or under (ideally), they already have the monitors and I can sort keyboard, mouse & speakers out.

thanks in advance!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
27 Comments
Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say it’s time to come off it now.....

There was also an article in the paper about a lady saying her sons mood changed when he started playing this game.

google.co.uk/amp…mp/
33400293-NpFA1.jpg
Edited by: "Mechtup" 8th Mar
cazsilver23 m ago

Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say i …Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say it’s time to come off it now.....There was also an article in the paper about a lady saying her sons mood changed when he started playing this game. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/5752474/fortnite-online-game-child-addicted-ban/amp/

A 10 year old playing a game that is 13+, need to stop pandering to the kids and be stricter. I mean a 10yr old v a mother... who's the one in charge in that situation?

I'm sure the Op has already looked it up but here are the specs

Recommended System Requirements:

• Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU
  • 2 GB VRAM
  • Core i5 2.8 Ghz
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
Minimum System Requirements:

• Intel HD 4000
  • Core i3 2.4 Ghz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Windows 7/8/10 64-bit + Mac OSX Sierra
cazsilver41 m ago

Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say i …Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say it’s time to come off it now.....

And I'm sure you never shouted at your parents when they wanted you to stop doing your favourite thing.

LilHammerette18 m ago

A 10 year old playing a game that is 13+, need to stop pandering to the …A 10 year old playing a game that is 13+, need to stop pandering to the kids and be stricter.

It's rated 12 by the pan-european ratings body for 'Non realistic looking violence towards human characters'

pegi.info/en/…ite

Anyway, back on topic. Building right now is tricky due to the inflated graphics card prices caused by sky high demand from compute users (primarily cryptocurrency mining). I'd be scouring sources of new and nearly-new pre-built machines for something with an RX 460, RX 560 or GTX 1050.
Buy an xbox one x you can play in 4k 60 fps. Hit that on a pc for the same money.
Would this run it? More importantly are all these parts compatible?

Gigabyte GV-N730-2GI GT730 Graphic Card (2GB, GRA, PCX)amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 Computer Case 'ATX, microATX, Mini-ITX, USB 3.0, Window Side Panel' MCW-L5S3-KANN-01
hamazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

HyperX FURY 8 GB Memory Module Kit, Red
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD, Up to 530 MB/s
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 Socket AM3+ DDR3 S-ATA 600 Micro ATX Motherboard - Black
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

AMD FX4300 Black Edition 4 Core (3.8/4.0GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 4MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

WD 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - Blue
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS Series ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Power Supply Unit, 550 W
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Or would the above parts work and then spend more on the graphics card?
By the time you have built it nobody will be playing footnite, another game will be out next week.
That would have been a reasonable system in 2012 when that graphics card and CPU were released but technology has moved on since then and something like a Ryzen 3 2200G will be both cheaper and faster.
EndlessWaves31 m ago

That would have been a reasonable system in 2012 when that graphics card …That would have been a reasonable system in 2012 when that graphics card and CPU were released but technology has moved on since then and something like a Ryzen 3 2200G will be both cheaper and faster.

What if I swapped the cpu & mobo for these

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

And this graphics card

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Coming close to £500 now.
Edited by: "bp2411" 8th Mar
Right I've finally settled on the following...

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15D-8GVR 8 GB (4 GBx2) DDR4 2400 MHz C15 1.2 V Memory Kit - Blazing Red
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

ASRock AB350M PRO4 motherboard black
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

AMD YD2200C5FBBOX Ryzen 3 2200G CPU with Wraith Stealth Cooler and RX Vega Graphics - Black
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 Computer Case 'ATX, microATX, Mini-ITX, USB 3.0, Window Side Panel' MCW-L5S3-KANN-01
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD, Up to 530 MB/samazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

WD 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - Blue
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS Series ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Power Supply Unit, 550 W
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

If it's all wrong please someone take pitty on me before I order it!
Thanks for the links but would prefer something new / built as it's his main birthday present. Can you check the links above and tell me if it'll work please?
Higher speed RAM would be better, especially if using the IGP.

According to one of the questions, the motherboard is Raven Ridge ready (the 2200G/2400G), but should be updated.

The other approach with graphics cards is to look toward used for those ... GPUBOSS is moistly ok for comparisons, if you look at the Firestrike ranking - a few other tests show some crazy otliers
I ended up going for

Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black

Apparently it'll run fine without a graphics card, we'll see tomorrow.
You spent over £100 on 8GB ram and didn't even get a graphics card, this will end well....
I copied a build that was listed on various websites and YouTube which all said it ran fine with the option to upgrade in the future.
All the parts arrived today, put it all together and..... Nothing. Constantly reboots after 15-20 seconds, no display, no bios speaker beep, nothing. Looking online it looks as though it may need a bios update which is impossible as it won't load at all. AMD will send a boot repair kit which is basically a compatible processor which will allow the PC to boot so I can update the bios and put the ryzen 3 back in. Hassle.
Edited by: "bp2411" 10th Mar
bp24117 m ago

All the parts arrived today, put it all together and..... Nothing. …All the parts arrived today, put it all together and..... Nothing. Constantly reboots after 15-20 seconds, no display, no bios speaker beep, nothing. Looking online it looks as though it may need a bios update which is impossible as it won't load at all. AMD will send a boot repair kit which is basically a compatible processor which will allow the PC to boot so I can update the bios and put the ryzen 3 back in. Hassle.

Should have just got an Xbox One X
They already have an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro but wanted a lesser spec pc for some reason lol
Coming to ios and android so no pc needed
bp24111 h, 24 m ago

They already have an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro but wanted a lesser spec pc …They already have an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro but wanted a lesser spec pc for some reason lol

If they already have them why spoil them? Kids need to understand the value of money.

Unless you guys have a silver spoon and what have you.
It's not for my kids, I'm just building it for my cousin's son.
amazon.co.uk/ask…hza

According to that answer, it should have worked... maybe yours is older stock?
matth99997 h, 45 m ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/TxV2GE2WXIW2A6/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hzaAccording to that answer, it should have worked... maybe yours is older stock?

Hopefully the one Amazon sends today is new stock, the AMD boot kit option is hassle.
The Amazon replacement arrived today... Used with parts missing, endlesswaves look at the pain you've caused me by suggesting the ryzen 3 2200g lol
cazsilver8th Mar

Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say i …Don’t do it. My sons are addicted to this game & have a strop when I say it’s time to come off it now.....There was also an article in the paper about a lady saying her sons mood changed when he started playing this game. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/5752474/fortnite-online-game-child-addicted-ban/amp/

Bad parenting, not bad game.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants