Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Is it possible to close a first direct account (netting the £100 leaving bonus), and also get the £100 halifax switching bonus?

Posted 13th Jan 2014
As the title describes, I'm wondering whether anyone has managed to combine the £100 you get for leaving a first direct 1st account, with the £100 switching bonus that halifax offers.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone knows if it's possible to open a new first direct account later in time after closing one, as I'd quite like to use their regular saver. Any ideas?

Any advice much appreciated!
Community Updates
First Direct DealsAsk

Groups

5 Comments
Yes, assuming you're eligible for the promotions.

I miss out on Halifax's £100 because I'm already with Bank of Scotland
Mucus69

Yes, assuming you're eligible for the promotions.I miss out on Halifax's … Yes, assuming you're eligible for the promotions.I miss out on Halifax's £100 because I'm already with Bank of Scotland

Ah, so you reckon the Halifax switcher will be for new customers only too? I already have a halifax account aswell so I suppose that's to be expected!!

Does anyone know the answer to the second question regarding the opening a new account down the line (after a couple of months) if you've had one previously and closed it?

Cheers again!
Atomika

Ah, so you reckon the Halifax switcher will be for new customers only … Ah, so you reckon the Halifax switcher will be for new customers only too? I already have a halifax account aswell so I suppose that's to be expected!!Does anyone know the answer to the second question regarding the opening a new account down the line (after a couple of months) if you've had one previously and closed it?Cheers again!

Existing customers are included now!

'To qualify for the £100 switching offer... Use the Halifax ‘Current Account Switch Service’, to switch into a new or existing Halifax Current Account, Reward Current Account or Ultimate Reward Current Account (“your account”).'

'Bank of Scotland bank account customers are not eligible for the offer.'

First Direct - presume your Regular Saver Account didn't reach anniversary. T&Cs doesn't confirm whether having a previous 'uncompleted' Saver Account precludes you from opening a second one. Best to call them.

First Direct: 'You can only open one Regular Saver Account'.
Mucus69

Existing customers are included now!'To qualify for the £100 switching … Existing customers are included now!'To qualify for the £100 switching offer... Use the Halifax ‘Current Account Switch Service’, to switch into a new or existing Halifax Current Account, Reward Current Account or Ultimate Reward Current Account (“your account”).''Bank of Scotland bank account customers are not eligible for the offer.' :(First Direct - presume your Regular Saver Account didn't reach anniversary. T&Cs doesn't confirm whether having a previous 'uncompleted' Saver Account precludes you from opening a second one. Best to call them.First Direct: 'You can only open one Regular Saver Account'.

Ah! Interesting. I actually strategically never opened a regular saver with first direct (as I saw it wouldn't reach the 12 month requirement and would therefore be better off in a high interest saver elsewhere). Do you think rather than opening a new current account with them in a few months or so I could open just a regular saver and that would be as if it were a new account?

Thanks again!
Atomika

Ah! Interesting. I actually strategically never opened a regular saver … Ah! Interesting. I actually strategically never opened a regular saver with first direct (as I saw it wouldn't reach the 12 month requirement and would therefore be better off in a high interest saver elsewhere). Do you think rather than opening a new current account with them in a few months or so I could open just a regular saver and that would be as if it were a new account?Thanks again!

First Direct should be paying me to answer your questions!

Regular Saver isn't standalone as it can only be funded from a 1st Account, so you'll need both.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants