Groups

Is it possible to find on my computer the key for microsoft office?

I am so disorganised and as I moved house, I have lost my copy of microsoft office. I want to buy a new laptop, but if I do I want office on it. I have office on my desktop, is there a way I can find out the key to the one I have my pc at home? Thanks!

28 Comments

download winguggle, works a treat:thumbsup:

everest will do it.

or siw.exe will show you all your keys (and passwords)

Original Poster

sorry dont know much about computers - can anyone tell me how to do any of the above things? If I burn a cd and put microsoft office on it, that will work wont it? Thanks!

By the way - I have vista! I cant even find the "run" command

google siw.exe. download and run it. goto secrets and your keys will be shown

Original Poster

wolf359;6260437

google siw.exe. download and run it. goto secrets and your keys will … google siw.exe. download and run it. goto secrets and your keys will be shown

ThanksI did that. It only came up with my hotmail/messenger password though?

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6260496

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=&page=11&dlid=35&lang=enDownload … http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=&page=11&dlid=35&lang=enDownload that

Thanks, just downloaded that. Any idea how to find the key though please on there? I cant see it

on some versions of siw its under licenses try that

download.cnet.com/Win…ton

try this one, download and run it, keys come up automatically.

bargainhunter2009;6260512

Thanks, just downloaded that. Any idea how to find the key though please … Thanks, just downloaded that. Any idea how to find the key though please on there? I cant see it

Its under software (left hand list), then licences.

yep SIW is a good one to use, it does the job

Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! Use siw and the winguggle one to check it was right. Everest would not give me full key - just said trial version. Repped you all

Original Poster

So if I put office on a disc (from my pc) it should work on the laptop when I put key in right? Just checking that the copied and downloaded version will work. I cant believe I lost the orginal disc, I am always losing things!

bargainhunter2009;6260680

So if I put office on a disc (from my pc) it should work on the laptop … So if I put office on a disc (from my pc) it should work on the laptop when I put key in right? Just checking that the copied and downloaded version will work. I cant believe I lost the orginal disc, I am always losing things!

You wont be able to copy Office from one computer to another - you'll still need an installation disk I'm afraid.

Original Poster

Tomb;6262924

You wont be able to copy Office from one computer to another - you'll … You wont be able to copy Office from one computer to another - you'll still need an installation disk I'm afraid.

Im sure I did it before though that way - will have to see. Thanks

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6263715

Im sure I did it before though that way - will have to see. Thanks

only if you have a multi-user licence otherwise any office updates will fail

you do know if you only have a licence for one machine its illegal to install and use on another as well?

Original Poster

maddogb;6263798

you do know if you only have a licence for one machine its illegal to … you do know if you only have a licence for one machine its illegal to install and use on another as well?

The original disc I had was for 3 computers. You were allowed to put it on 3 machines I think. I have only used it twice, on my PC and my old laptop.

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6263832

The original disc I had was for 3 computers. You were allowed to put it … The original disc I had was for 3 computers. You were allowed to put it on 3 machines I think. I have only used it twice, on my PC and my old laptop.

so why are you trying to copy the disk if you have an original? :?

Original Poster

csiman;6263835

so why are you trying to copy the disk if you have an original? :?

Cause I lost the original disc. I had it somewhere before I moved, but I moved a few weeks back and I cant find it! I lose everything, I really need to be more organised!

you cant just copy the files from one PC to another. it needs to be installed using a copy of the original installation disc.
    it doesnt just copy the files to 'program files' in the computer, it makes registry entries and icons in the start menu too.

it won't work unless you have an install disc for office.
    trust me.
    been working with and building pcs since 1998

Original Poster

someone on another forum said I could download the trial version and then use my product key (which is legit) to activate it

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6264153

someone on another forum said I could download the trial version and then … someone on another forum said I could download the trial version and then use my product key (which is legit) to activate it

yep - assuming you have exactly the right version (there are quite a few)

Original Poster

csiman;6264509

yep - assuming you have exactly the right version (there are quite a few)

It is the home and student 2007 version I have

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6264787

It is the home and student 2007 version I have

you'll be lucky to find a trial version of that I reckon.

Original Poster

csiman;6265368

you'll be lucky to find a trial version of that I reckon.

Isnt this a trial of the home and student one?trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/tri…-GB

bargainhunter2009;6267669

Isnt this a trial of the home and student … Isnt this a trial of the home and student one?http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/trialukireland/product.aspx?sku=3082920&culture=en-GB

sure looks like it is to me :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891111
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2950
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24103
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?24106

See more discussions