Groups

Is it possible to find the owner of a domain name without using whois?

Banned
    Any help much appreciated

5 Comments

nope, whois the only database to display that info... you may be able to contact Nominet and get the info but not sure if they do this?

whois isn't a database, its a lookup protocol thats connects to the relevant database (eg nominet). There are numerous services which use whois, I tend to use who.is/ because its easy to remember!

Oops, it's late (_;)

as Jah said, a who is a website look up on a database, and I also use who.is

I think nominet cover all .co.uk domains, so when you use a 'whois' service it connects directly to the nominet database and does the look-up. Other domains are more varied - for example bbc.com uses the tucows whois database and hotukdeals.com uses the enom database...

Some sites don't work on all whois lookups - for example .ac.uk sites, which are run by Janet instead of Nominet, don't appear with all the info on who.is
    Edited by: "jah128" 19th Oct 2010

Good point Jah, it will depend on the domain, to who controls the domain., .com is done by Icann, .net and .org ares done by Network Solutions (Verisign),
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17886403
      2. One for the mathmaticians2743
      3. Get an annual MOT reminder713
      4. word association Game74044576

See more discussions