Groups

is it possible to forward calls from my old landline phone number?

Hi guys

I'm switching phone and broadband from Sky to BT this month

BT say there's a high chance(?) I can keep my old number but they'll let me know if they can't

If I do lose the old phone number, does a service exist where calls to the old number will come through to my new BT number

It's just my mums a million years old and is having kittens about losing her number that everyone knows

BT aren't filling me with confidence. Surely it should be a yes or no if they can keep number. Dunno why it's a maybe

Thanks in advance

6 Comments

Original Poster

https://media0.giphy.com/media/7GsdDdLUM1MVW/giphy.gif

As long as the number is requested it should be fine ... I work with Sky in Provisioning and don't see why the number couldn't be ported. If you need help let me know.

Original Poster

Thank you John, that's extremely kind of you

That confirms it nicely. I guess BT were just being cautious in the rare instances it's not possible

They even said as long as I don't tell sky I'm leaving that I can keep my number which really confused me. Supposedly they will call sky and cancel for me but if I do it I'll lose the number to sky

I'm a rolling contract so don't need to personally inform sky but it just seemed a bit shady to me

But it was the BT call centre in Scotland and he sounded competent

Thanks again for clearing that up

Remember you will have to pay for the call charges to your new phone number from your old number.

At least, that is how it worked the last time I did it many years ago.

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

Remember you will have to pay for the call charges to your new phone … Remember you will have to pay for the call charges to your new phone number from your old number.At least, that is how it worked the last time I did it many years ago.

Cheers mate. But I'm hoping that it won't come to that as the gent above explained. If It does, which "company" did the call forwarding for you or do I ask BT to do it? Even for a charge

It was BT to an Orange mobile, as the new house didnt have a working phone line (or working ANYTHING).

If SKY wont release the number, you may need to get a new line, BT rip you off for this. My ISP is Aquiss, they do phone line only as well; they charge less than half the BT fee for a new line and only £13 per month for line rental - and the call costs are a LOT cheaper as well.

All the work is still done by Open Reach, which shows you how much of a rip off BT Retail really is.
    Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 8th Dec 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Laptop 1060 gtx ?11
      2. Any tips on finding a cheap new kitchen plus bathroom with fitting?11
      3. Gear best shipping?44
      4. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44

See more discussions