Groups

Is it possible to get a free TB jab in London?

According to the latest reports London is now the TB capital of Europe.

Bit concerned really as my daughter is at Uni in central London and was never given the jab at school.

Doesn't seem to be available at our GP and was wondering if there are any walk in centres in London.

Only ones I can find are charging around £200, which of course I'll pay if there's no choice but thought it should be available free in a high risk area.

41 Comments

TB was virtually eradicated from the UK a few decades ago, back up to nearly 6,000 cases a year now.

should be, that will be a very high risk area

Lived in London all my life never had a TB jab, same applies to my mum whos been here over 50 years, besides lke the flu jab the tb jab is not 100% protection and only lasts about 15 years anyway.

the university medical centre where your daughter attends should be the best place to start?
    Edited by: "sowotsdis" 3rd Feb

GPs do still give these if she has never had it. Personally I wouldn't do it, but that's a whole other thread.

Error440

Lived in London all my life never had a TB jab, same applies to my mum … Lived in London all my life never had a TB jab, same applies to my mum whos been here over 50 years, besides lke the flu jab the tb jab is not 100% protection and only lasts about 15 years anyway.

Really?

I remember all the kids at school getting their BCG's done in the 70's, maybe as you say your mum arrived before that and you were after I'm guessing you got missed off somehow, perhaps thats part of the reason the disease has taken hold again.

coys67

Really?I remember all the kids at school getting their BCG's done in the … Really?I remember all the kids at school getting their BCG's done in the 70's, maybe as you say your mum arrived before that and you were after I'm guessing you got missed off somehow, perhaps thats part of the reason the disease has taken hold again.

No its immigrants from eastern Europe and North Africa, not helped by the emergence of untreatable strains.

Free tb jabs only given to newborn only if they ask.... £50 otherwise.

Adam786123

Free tb jabs only given to newborn only if they ask.... £50 otherwise.

They are also given to medical and certain other healthcare students for free, I have the scar to prove it
    Edited by: "Firefly1" 3rd Feb

For your consideration:

The vaccine is usually given to babies and children from birth up to the … The vaccine is usually given to babies and children from birth up to the age of 16 who are identified as being at higher risk of the disease compared to the general population. It is also sometimes given to adults up to the age of 35, but the vaccine does not work well in adults. Adults are often given a skin test before they are offered the vaccine. This is to check whether they already have antibodies to TB (see 'More information about the vaccine' towards the bottom of the page). People with a past history of TB should not receive the vaccine. This is because they have an increased risk of adverse reactions to the vaccine.In the UK the BCG vaccine is not currently part of the routine childhood schedule. It is offered to people who are at higher risk of TB. The main risk factors for TB are: Being born in an area of the UK with a high rate of TB (more than 40 cases of TB per year for every 100,000 people). In some areas of London, for example, all newborn babies are recommended to have the BCG vaccine. Having a parent or grandparent who was born in a country where there is a high rate of TB Living for three months or more in a country where is a high rate of TB Being in close contact for a prolonged period with someone who has pulmonary TB (TB affecting the lungs)Babies and children under 16 in any of these risk groups will usually be offered the BCG vaccine. Adults up to 35 years of age may also be offered the vaccine if their job has a high risk of contact with people or animals infected with TB. However, at the moment there is a worldwide shortage of BCG vaccine (see below). Because of this, in the UK the vaccine is being prioritised for use in new-born babies in areas of highest risk. http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/bcg-vaccine

TL;DR: the BCG vaccine is less effective in adults than it is in children. There are a few instances where vaccination would be recommended in adults, e.g. if you are a healthcare worker who will likely encounter people with tuberculosis. There is a worldwide shortage, and your daughter's age and situation may not place her in a high-risk category, meaning you will probably have to pay for it if you are still interested.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

coys67

TB was virtually eradicated from the UK a few decades ago, back up to … TB was virtually eradicated from the UK a few decades ago, back up to nearly 6,000 cases a year now.

Mostly back because we import a lot of Migrants from countries that think it's acceptable to spit and carry on doing it here which is rather vile. Also, why aren't they tested before they arrive here? If I wanted to move to Australia or the US and I had a communicable disease, I would not be allowed in.

Hounslow, Harrow, Brent and Ealing are the TB hotspots in London all with large number of immigrants from India.

Lots of the old diseases coming back to the UK by non immunised people being let into this country and prob grown in strength. Scarlet fever not been round for decades

coys67

TB was virtually eradicated from the UK a few decades ago, back up to … TB was virtually eradicated from the UK a few decades ago, back up to nearly 6,000 cases a year now.

wonder where all these cases could be coming from.

tempt

Hounslow, Harrow, Brent and Ealing are the TB hotspots in London all with … Hounslow, Harrow, Brent and Ealing are the TB hotspots in London all with large number of immigrants from India.

I am from one of those areas and it's clear as day it's been brought back to life by the amount of immigrants. It's a hotbed for immigration

Op NHS website states the BCG vaccine is available on the NHS for babies,children and adults under 35

I am from one of those areas and it's clear as day it's been brought back … I am from one of those areas and it's clear as day it's been brought back to life by the amount of immigrants. It's a hotbed for immigration

Govt now has a requirement that every non-EU immigrant who wants to come here must get a TB certificate from their home country

Non EU travellers have to get immunised & submit proof with their visa applications.

coys67

​How about the full quote?

"It is only in the last four years that the UK has begun to match the global trend for falling rates of TB, with affected individuals dropping from a peak of 8,919 cases in 2011 to around 6,000 cases annually today."

So TB rates in the UK are falling

Perhaps Tory Govt should insist on TB certificates from EU immigrants?

Gollywood

Non EU travellers have to get immunised & submit proof with their visa … Non EU travellers have to get immunised & submit proof with their visa applications.

All migrants should. It doesn't matter whether they're EU or not. And I doubt all people entering are checked because it wouldn't be increasing. We have illegals entering too.

zworld

Govt now has a requirement that every non-EU immigrant who wants to come … Govt now has a requirement that every non-EU immigrant who wants to come here must get a TB certificate from their home country

Do illegal immigrants and tourists who enter visa free and overstay adhere to those requirements?

mtuk1

Do illegal immigrants and tourists who enter visa free and overstay … Do illegal immigrants and tourists who enter visa free and overstay adhere to those requirements?

​Non EU tourists with visas have to submit TB certificates

Gollywood

​Non EU tourists with visas have to submit TB certificates

That wasn't my question.

mtuk1

That wasn't my question.

​Well tourists (Non EU) who overstay still have to comply with TB regulations when they initially apply...

Gollywood

​Well tourists (Non EU) who overstay still have to comply with TB r … ​Well tourists (Non EU) who overstay still have to comply with TB regulations when they initially apply...

That still wasn't my question. Read it again.

zworld

Govt now has a requirement that every non-EU immigrant who wants to come … Govt now has a requirement that every non-EU immigrant who wants to come here must get a TB certificate from their home country

That's a positive move. I do imagine there are a fair amount of "illegals" who won't play ball though.

As I've said on here before. Father in law developed cancer, was hospitalised and the man in the neighbouring bed was coughing non stop, including coughing up blood. Within weeks they diagnosed my father in law with TB. Couldn't find out if other patient had TB due to confidentiality. When our kids vaccinations started we were asked if they were at risk of TB. We told them their grandfather had it but it was still refused. I honestly think it should be routine again. Better to wipe it out than try to cure after diagnosis.

That's a positive move. I do imagine there are a fair amount of … That's a positive move. I do imagine there are a fair amount of "illegals" who won't play ball though.

You can't have your TB tested anywehre. There's only Home office approved centres and you must go there.

That's a positive move. I do imagine there are a fair amount of … That's a positive move. I do imagine there are a fair amount of "illegals" who won't play ball though.

There should be a TB test everytime they leave and re-enter becuase you never know what they bring back when they go visiting relatives.

There is an alarming increase in TB cases in India and their government is too happy sending their sick our way while squandering whatever little they have on space and nuclear programs.

theguardian.com/soc…ath

Edited by: "tempt" 4th Feb

zworld

You can't have your TB tested anywehre. There's only Home office approved … You can't have your TB tested anywehre. There's only Home office approved centres and you must go there.

Err, the post you quoted referred to illegals. Would they go to a home office approved centre?

Graham1979

wonder where all these cases could be coming from.

Shhhh... cant say things like that. They justify Trump's immigration restrictions, and we know the lefties wont like that!

dorey69

Lots of the old diseases coming back to the UK by non immunised people … Lots of the old diseases coming back to the UK by non immunised people being let into this country and prob grown in strength. Scarlet fever not been round for decades

And no one is vaccinated against smallpox anymore thke who are be a dying breed and the pathogen is alive and well in many labs around the world.

Although normally its something new thats the problem like Spanish flu.

tempt

Hounslow, Harrow, Brent and Ealing are the TB hotspots in London all with … Hounslow, Harrow, Brent and Ealing are the TB hotspots in London all with large number of immigrants from India.

I'm in ealing we are full of eastern Europeans more then anything else

liamf12

As I've said on here before. Father in law developed cancer, was … As I've said on here before. Father in law developed cancer, was hospitalised and the man in the neighbouring bed was coughing non stop, including coughing up blood. Within weeks they diagnosed my father in law with TB. Couldn't find out if other patient had TB due to confidentiality. When our kids vaccinations started we were asked if they were at risk of TB. We told them their grandfather had it but it was still refused. I honestly think it should be routine again. Better to wipe it out than try to cure after diagnosis.

Remember there's different strains, the guy in the bed maywell have been immunised himself, but it does wear off and its never 100% affective against all strains anyway, many people are lulled into a silly sense of security by their BCG scare

This country is too soft!! No wonder it's in debt. Blame the Government and their greedy policy's just to feed their pockets.
    Australia have strict policy laws on what comes in to the country. Imports etc.

Blame the Government and their greedy policy's just to feed their … Blame the Government and their greedy policy's just to feed their pockets.

that (if it were true) would be totally unrelated to the rest of your comment.

I think the point people were trying to make on here without appearing 'racist' was that EU citizens aren't tested for anything on coming to the UK.

that isn't racist (EU isn't a race). it may change tho after brexit but not if 'the lefties' have their misguided way.

I've been vaccinated against tb and smallpox. I'm indestructible
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon S&S price fix question22
      2. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?33
      3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?11
      4. Three connection45

See more discussions