Groups

is it possible to get bt to waive the £125 new line connection fee?

has anyone tried it ringing up?

or any success/is it possible?

12 Comments

Nope they won't budge on it. You can pay in 1/4ly installments if that makes it easier to swallow. All they are doing is passing on the charge Openreach charge them.

Jebus £125? Can't you get Virgin Media muffin?

Original Poster

hihi

[SIZE=2]the house is a new build so cable for the time being is a no go[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]even worse at my current address i have cable services but since i cant take them with me they wont let me cancel either unless i pay remainder of contract haha boogers[/SIZE]

Banned

strange how bt are still able to charge £120 for new line whereas cable do it for £25 or free

Aww muffin that's cr*p :-( Come live with me :lol:

Just cancel your cable direct debit when you move out & don't leave a forwarding address :lol:

Exact same situation for me a few months ago, muffin.

1) BT charge what they like, regardless of whether the cost-value ration is realistic. It takes them 10 minutes to connect. I needed it for broadband setup so had no choice.

2) If you are with Virgin cable, don't say you want to cancel. Just try to transfer your services to your new address (I had TV, phone and BB with them).

When Virgin check your new address on their system and find that it's not a cabled street, they just release you from your contract because it's their fault that the street isn't cabled, not yours. You're sad to lose their services, but what can you do? I didn't get charged for the remainder of my contract.

Covert Recon

2) If you are with Virgin cable, don't say you want to cancel. Just try … 2) If you are with Virgin cable, don't say you want to cancel. Just try to transfer your services to your new address (I had TV, phone and BB with them).When Virgin check your new address on their system and find that it's not a cabled street, they just release you from your contract because it's their fault that the street isn't cabled, not yours. You're sad to lose their services, but what can you do? I didn't get charged for the remainder of my contract.

Oooh that's a good tip Covert +Rep xx

Original Poster

wow if that works i will definatly need to owe you one!! nice tip will update as im doing it soon

It definately worked peeps. I expected it to when I called them, but played innocent. I probably found similar advice on moneysavingexpert.

"Oh no, this street's not cabled?! So you can't give me phone, TV or BB?"

"Afraid not."

"Oh, well, what can we do?"

"Nothing I'm afraid, except we can supply BB through your BT line if you get one installed there."

(Sounding reluctant) "I guess I'll have to leave my contract then..." Sob, sniff...

"Yes, we'll action that and get a final statement out to you sir. Be sorry to lose you etc., but can't be helped".

Or some conversation to the above effect anyway. I suppose you could even say you're moving to a new development or apartment building that is within your area when you're not (check your local estate agents for an address), in order to escape their contract, as long as they haven't cabled it.

Thanks for any rep, I badly need some as you can see!!

Covert Recon

Exact same situation for me a few months ago, muffin.1) BT charge what … Exact same situation for me a few months ago, muffin.1) BT charge what they like, regardless of whether the cost-value ration is realistic. It takes them 10 minutes to connect. I needed it for broadband setup so had no choice.2) If you are with Virgin cable, don't say you want to cancel. Just try to transfer your services to your new address (I had TV, phone and BB with them).When Virgin check your new address on their system and find that it's not a cabled street, they just release you from your contract because it's their fault that the street isn't cabled, not yours. You're sad to lose their services, but what can you do? I didn't get charged for the remainder of my contract.

How do you know it takes 10 mins to setup? Your house has to have cable and duct to it if fed from underground or an overhead cable if fed from a pole. It takes 10 mins to put up a span of dropwire does it and engineers work for free do they? BT ain't a charity, it's a PLC.
    Trust me it ain't just as simple as flicking a switch.

I know it took 10 minutes because I was there, I watched the engineers. The main infrastructure might have taken longer but they were fitting that underground anyway, weeks before I arrived. That's their speculative investment to help attract customers.

The actual connection of my home, to the system, which is what I'm talking about, took 10 mins and was barely worth my taking time off work for.

I'm aware BT isn't a charity, it's a rip-off, that gleefully overcharged for years when it had a monopoly and still overcharges for this particular service because if a street doesn't have Virgin, it's either go with BT, or don't have a landline.

The BT employees I've spoken to were apologetic when they explained that it's £124.99, they almost feel guilty about the size of this charge.

BT have to pay the contractors to put the duct in and wire out the house, the there the exchnage work which takes more than 10 minutes. You'll soon have a greater choice for who provides your landline, other SP's such as Talk Talk will soon have systems in place to provison line sover BT's copper network.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1332
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277960
      3. word association Game72944191
      4. Best advert ever to be seen.1820

See more discussions