Expired

Is it possible to haggle the price at B&Q - Bathroom

Found 4th Aug 2014
Was wondering if haggling the price is possible in B&Q? Went today and was quoted over £700 for a bathroom set. Asked the guy if he could get it down any more but the guy said the price is the price ...

... is there any way to haggle or does anyone know if places like B&Q do this or is the price fixed as is?

6 Comments

no

thanks

Think if you can find the same somewhere else they will

A price ticket is NOT set in stone it is called "an invitation to treat" meaning the seller would LIKE around said price for item EVERYTHING is negotiable. Only mis-informed ill-educated sales staff or even general public think the price is the price. Speak to manager or even head office and say would you take X amount today and you would be surprised how many enter into negotiation. Google "invitation to treat "

Yes-go and get yourself a couple of other quotes and you'll be surprised at how willing they are to negotiate!

If it's just a bathroom suite (not a whole bathroom) then the discount credit card or gift voucher or quidco deal combined with the OAP discount day is your best option. (See below)

If you're buying the rest there too:

To negotiate effectively with a high st store for bathrooms you need to collect quotes for similar items then present them to B&Q and explain you'd rather go with them but can't justify paying more. What's the best you can do? Then say nothing until they do.

They will often try and match - say you'll go to the other store unless they can beat it. You can then reply to their offer, you'll have to do better than that (remember to be creative - what can you give me free is another option, sometimes reducing the money isn't and option but throwing in better taps, tiles etc is).Other options are to buy gift vouchers from employee reward schemes or use a discount credit card like my Utility Warehouse one to get an extra 5%+ off their final price.

It's a game. Be willing to walk away. Be willing to go back, always be friendly. Dominic Littlewood does this very well. Look for examples of how he does it on youtube.

OAP's get a discount on a certain day. They also do a trade point that may do further discounts.

Good luck. Everything is negotiable. Some stores would rather your business than their rival b&q stores so also try a different store and see if they would beat it if you went through them instead. They have targets. End of the month etc. Also negotiating with the till clerk is less likely to work than a manager as the managers have the targets...

Original Poster

Mickyfinn

If it's just a bathroom suite (not a whole bathroom) then the discount … If it's just a bathroom suite (not a whole bathroom) then the discount credit card or gift voucher or quidco deal combined with the OAP discount day is your best option. (See below)If you're buying the rest there too:To negotiate effectively with a high st store for bathrooms you need to collect quotes for similar items then present them to B&Q and explain you'd rather go with them but can't justify paying more. What's the best you can do? Then say nothing until they do. They will often try and match - say you'll go to the other store unless they can beat it. You can then reply to their offer, you'll have to do better than that (remember to be creative - what can you give me free is another option, sometimes reducing the money isn't and option but throwing in better taps, tiles etc is).Other options are to buy gift vouchers from employee reward schemes or use a discount credit card like my Utility Warehouse one to get an extra 5%+ off their final price.It's a game. Be willing to walk away. Be willing to go back, always be friendly. Dominic Littlewood does this very well. Look for examples of how he does it on youtube.OAP's get a discount on a certain day. They also do a trade point that may do further discounts.Good luck. Everything is negotiable. Some stores would rather your business than their rival b&q stores so also try a different store and see if they would beat it if you went through them instead. They have targets. End of the month etc. Also negotiating with the till clerk is less likely to work than a manager as the managers have the targets...

Thanks for this.

I asked them about the wednesday pensioner discount but it's not valid on bathrooms, kitchens etc.

He did quote me £160 for a bath then looked in book and said it was £178 and discounted from £250. I asked him he said £160 earlier he said it was an estimate. Pfft.

Anyway he said if you have a trade account you get 5% off. Apart from that nothing else.

You did give me an idea to get some b&Q vouchers. One on ebay for £100 for £95 ... better me saving £5 than nothing. Was wondering where else can get some b&Q voucher for for lower than the stated value?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants