is it possible to install cruise control?

Found 17th Oct 2015
To avoid going over the limit on motorways I found out cruise control can help but my car doesn't have one. So is it possible to install one or is it something preinstalled by manufacture. If it is possible approx how much does it cost (Renault Clio Dynamique 56 Plate).

Before anyone gives me google as an answer, allow me to save you some time. I have already GOOGLED this but just need someone who might have more knowledge about cars than myself to put me in the right track.

thanks
Community Updates
19 Comments
why not just use app that warns you if you go over limit
IF it was an option for your car then its easier to retro fit. You should be able to order the kit from Renault and then fit it. Essentially fitting it to manual car is never much help as you still need to downshift to maintain speeds up steep hills, if you brake in auto with CC you just press resume and it sorts it all out for you.

However it might well a real pain, esp. when it comes to finding you do not have the buttons on the steering wheel to wire it too. If your clever you might be able to wire up some sort of other gimmick. Thinking back to late 90's people had them stuck on the right side of the dash by the drivers door.

Like I say, manual and CC though is bit of waste unless you just want to rest your foot, even then on the busy UK roads speeds varies so much due to congestion it might be a better idea then reality!

Hit up a Renault forum and you will find someone who can help you better then on here.
Original Poster
groenleader

IF it was an option for your car then its easier to retro fit. You should … IF it was an option for your car then its easier to retro fit. You should be able to order the kit from Renault and then fit it. Essentially fitting it to manual car is never much help as you still need to downshift to maintain speeds up steep hills, if you brake in auto with CC you just press resume and it sorts it all out for you.However it might well a real pain, esp. when it comes to finding you do not have the buttons on the steering wheel to wire it too. If your clever you might be able to wire up some sort of other gimmick. Thinking back to late 90's people had them stuck on the right side of the dash by the drivers door. Like I say, manual and CC though is bit of waste unless you just want to rest your foot, even then on the busy UK roads speeds varies so much due to congestion it might be a better idea then reality! Hit up a Renault forum and you will find someone who can help you better then on here.

thank you
Original Poster
shadey12

why not just use app that warns you if you go over limit

i used to use nav free (now called navmii) but its no longer as good as it used to be and the routes are terrible and inaccurate. used it about two weeks ago and almost crashed into a round about since it showed its a straight road with national speed sign on both the app and road but all of sudden there was a round about but strange thing is there was no sign on the road either indicating there is round about ahead. i was doing about 65mph so it could have been very serious luckily i managed to control the car in time and there were not many car around. now use google maps and its really accurate but doesn't have the feature your speaking of.
If you want to avoid speeding on a motorway I'd use that tried and tested method of 'concentrating more'.
It all depends on wiring etc but here is a guide for the 172 which might give you something to work from. fitting cruise control
willhay555

If you want to avoid speeding on a motorway I'd use that tried and tested … If you want to avoid speeding on a motorway I'd use that tried and tested method of 'concentrating more'.

​cruise control would not have helped. if anything cruise control makes you concentrate less.
shadey12

​cruise control would not have helped. if anything cruise control makes y … ​cruise control would not have helped. if anything cruise control makes you concentrate less.

I think that was his point.
Original Poster
willhay555

If you want to avoid speeding on a motorway I'd use that tried and tested … If you want to avoid speeding on a motorway I'd use that tried and tested method of 'concentrating more'.

well that method may not work if your driving approx 6hours a day
LetoKynes

I think that was his point.

​i hit the wrong reply. I was meaning to reply to the comment above it.
if you can't concentrate for 6 hours don't drive for 6 hours. the maximum you can drive without a break on a tachograph is 4.5 for a reason
xPabloz

well that method may not work if your driving approx 6hours a day

I would say it needs to apply and work more if you are driving 6 hours a day!

You should always be able to concentrate enough to maintain the correct speed.

As has been said a speed alert warning on a mobile phone would be a good start and the cheapest option. I've found it to be very accurate on motorways etc but on some of the smaller roads round here the satnav has the wrong speed for the road.

I have had cruise control on most cars, my current manual car has it fitted and I find it to be great. I agree that it is better on an automatic but I disagree that it is a waste on a manual. It just means that you have to return to the speed/gear before you press the resume button. On long empty motorways you just get up to 6th gear and leave it. When you get to the roadworks you press the brake adjust to the correct gear then set it again, leave the roadworks and speed up back to 6th and set it again. Not a huge amount of work!
I found that a brick works quite well.
Check behind the switch blacks to see if the plugs have been factory installed. It's unlikely they will be installed & it's not worth the trouble if they are not there.
Original Poster
DEALS4EVA

Check behind the switch blacks to see if the plugs have been factory … Check behind the switch blacks to see if the plugs have been factory installed. It's unlikely they will be installed & it's not worth the trouble if they are not there.

where abouts do i look?
I had a vw passat about 6 years ago, I asked about this and was told I would need to replace the stalk on the steering wheel, new computer module,which would need programming by the factory, plus a sensor for the brake or clutch can't remember which, not a cheap exercise.

no help really to you, but shows that is not always just a new stalk and a bit of programming, it all depends on how much at the factory they didn't fit as standard, sometimes it just needs the button and being turned on.

find an owners forum, guarantee if it's simple they would have done it.

I know how frustrating it is not to have it, my audi a3 doesn't and I do miss it, especially through roadworks when the speed limit is 50 for miles and miles.
Original Poster
bluetba

especially through roadworks when the speed limit is 50 for miles and … especially through roadworks when the speed limit is 50 for miles and miles.

using m1 is nightmare as max speed is 50 which has been going on for few years and during peak hours speed drops to either idle-5/10mph max
Edited by: "xPabloz" 17th Oct 2015
xPabloz

where abouts do i look?

Look behind the 2 blank switches. They are beside the dial for adjusting the headlight level - located beside the ignition.
Most small cars never get the option of "Cruise control". So you'd most likely need an aftermarket kit, Think an auto electrician would be your best bet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions