Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Is it possible to just install UK maps on Sat Nav?

Posted 8th Sep
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2445 and tried to update but there's insufficient memory and needs at least 8gb free I think it said. Is it possible to just install UK instead of Western Europe as that's all I need.

I know I could just buy a micro SD card instead.

TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
It would depend on whether they have a UK only product available I guess. The other issue is the fact it's an update. (Presumably you have western Europe already installed and this is being updated). Again, it's a guess but you might not be allowed to update with essentially a different product - you might have to buy the UK only as a separate product. Garmin would be the best people to ask. The SD card was my first thought though.
I just updated the maps on my Garmin the other day, it too said there wasn't enough space to fit all the maps on so I just chose Western Europe. I'm pretty sure I did see an option to just choose UK maps though. I had about 2.8GB left I think after the update but just UK maps only should be a smaller download. Have a look I'm sure you can do it!
You can either selected countries/areas OR everything, saved on an external SD card, if the internal memory is not enough.
If the update worked, I suspect you have a LM(T) version.
I suppose you use "Garmin Express" or "Garmin WebUpdater" to connect and update that device. The downloaded files are saved on "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps". Check to see if indeed you have any files there. The latest version should be 2020.30, I think.

In order to select whatever map you please, you can use "Garmin Map Updater" (but you have less options) OR, the best, "Garmin MapInstall"
www8.garmin.com/sup…291
By default it saves the uploaded file on internal memory, so if you want to use all the maps you will upload half (which is automatically saved on internal memory), then you move it to SD and then upload the second half and you move that file also to SD. You can later edit the maps metas with "JaVaWa Device Manager".

I can detail all the steps tomorrow. Have some cars meanwhile: garminheaven.com/veh…es/
Edited by: "TobyZ" 8th Sep
Xippi08/09/2020 22:58

It would depend on whether they have a UK only product available I guess. …It would depend on whether they have a UK only product available I guess. The other issue is the fact it's an update. (Presumably you have western Europe already installed and this is being updated). Again, it's a guess but you might not be allowed to update with essentially a different product - you might have to buy the UK only as a separate product. Garmin would be the best people to ask. The SD card was my first thought though.

Thanks. I think you're right. I couldn't see an option to choose anything and only western Europe on the sat nav. I bought it used with lifetime updates years ago.
Zek08/09/2020 23:05

I just updated the maps on my Garmin the other day, it too said there …I just updated the maps on my Garmin the other day, it too said there wasn't enough space to fit all the maps on so I just chose Western Europe. I'm pretty sure I did see an option to just choose UK maps though. I had about 2.8GB left I think after the update but just UK maps only should be a smaller download. Have a look I'm sure you can do it!

Thanks. I'll have another try tomorrow. If not I'll just buy a micro SD card.
TobyZ08/09/2020 23:55

You can either selected countries/areas OR everything, saved on an …You can either selected countries/areas OR everything, saved on an external SD card, if the internal memory is not enough.If the update worked, I suspect you have a LM(T) version.I suppose you use "Garmin Express" or "Garmin WebUpdater" to connect and update that device. The downloaded files are saved on "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps". Check to see if indeed you have any files there. The latest version should be 2020.30, I think.In order to select whatever map you please, you can use "Garmin Map Updater" (but you have less options) OR, the best, "Garmin MapInstall"https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291By default it saves the uploaded file on internal memory, so if you want to use all the maps you will upload half (which is automatically saved on internal memory), then you move it to SD and then upload the second half and you move that file also to SD. You can later edit the maps metas with "JaVaWa Device Manager".I can detail all the steps tomorrow. Have some cars meanwhile: https://www.garminheaven.com/vehicles/

Thanks. I don't think it has anyetters after 2445 which I assume is live traffic?
Off memory I think I have 2020.20.
I'll check those out.
TobyZ08/09/2020 23:55

You can either selected countries/areas OR everything, saved on an …You can either selected countries/areas OR everything, saved on an external SD card, if the internal memory is not enough.If the update worked, I suspect you have a LM(T) version.I suppose you use "Garmin Express" or "Garmin WebUpdater" to connect and update that device. The downloaded files are saved on "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps". Check to see if indeed you have any files there. The latest version should be 2020.30, I think.In order to select whatever map you please, you can use "Garmin Map Updater" (but you have less options) OR, the best, "Garmin MapInstall"https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291By default it saves the uploaded file on internal memory, so if you want to use all the maps you will upload half (which is automatically saved on internal memory), then you move it to SD and then upload the second half and you move that file also to SD. You can later edit the maps metas with "JaVaWa Device Manager".I can detail all the steps tomorrow. Have some cars meanwhile: https://www.garminheaven.com/vehicles/

So can I use Garmin Mapinstall on its own in the future to update and select which areas or do I still need Express? Thanks.
Seriously? Still BUYING maps for satnav? When Android Auto is FREE and MUCH, MUCH better
IamOpica09/09/2020 00:24

So can I use Garmin Mapinstall on its own in the future to update and …So can I use Garmin Mapinstall on its own in the future to update and select which areas or do I still need Express? Thanks.

To update (or better said, to download the maps on your computer) you'll use either "Garmin Express" or "Garmin Map Updater"
download.garmin.com/lmu…exe
while for selective map installation you'll use "Garmin MapInstall"
Garmin has the habit to download the full package and not only a selection of the maps which are validated by your keys. That means you may be able to load more maps onto your device, but as long as you don't have the right keys, they will not work.

ccnp09/09/2020 13:18

Seriously? Still BUYING maps for satnav? When Android Auto is FREE and …Seriously? Still BUYING maps for satnav? When Android Auto is FREE and MUCH, MUCH better

The device already has the service included in its purchase price. Furthermore, you should have known that nothing is free. Then, what's "much better" ? the mapping providers or the user interfaces (which are now thousands) and services; different users, different tastes.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 9th Sep
IamOpica09/09/2020 00:20

Thanks. I don't think it has anyetters after 2445 which I assume is live …Thanks. I don't think it has anyetters after 2445 which I assume is live traffic?Off memory I think I have 2020.20.I'll check those out.

Mine has LMT which is life time (free) maps, I expect yours does as well as they have been selling them with it for years now. I think I have the 2445 too, I'm not 100% sure but looks the same. I used Garmin Express to update it.
Edited by: "Zek" 9th Sep
TobyZ09/09/2020 18:59

To update (or better said, to download the maps on your computer) you'll …To update (or better said, to download the maps on your computer) you'll use either "Garmin Express" or "Garmin Map Updater"http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exewhile for selective map installation you'll use "Garmin MapInstall"Garmin has the habit to download the full package and not only a selection of the maps which are validated by your keys. That means you may be able to load more maps onto your device, but as long as you don't have the right keys, they will not work.The device already has the service included in its purchase price. Furthermore, you should have known that nothing is free. Then, what's "much better" ? the mapping providers or the user interfaces (which are now thousands) and services; different users, different tastes.

Thanks I've just bought a 32gb microsd
card to save the hassle.
Zek09/09/2020 20:50

Mine has LMT which is life time (free) maps, I expect yours does as well …Mine has LMT which is life time (free) maps, I expect yours does as well as they have been selling them with it for years now. I think I have the 2445 too, I'm not 100% sure but looks the same. I used Garmin Express to update it.

Thanks. When I tried installing on Garmin Express I think it didn't include LMT on the name when it recognized my sat nav. But it's definitely lifetime maps because I update once/twice a year free.
Post a comment
@
    Text