Is it possible to trace address and contract via bank contact

17 replies
Found 16th Sep 2016
I recently have been ripped of for £400, I have the person account details and sort code is it possible to trace his address or contact number from the bank details. I know this is not ethical but there is just no other way to get my money back unless I approach him...

Bank wont assist me as they cant provide that information...

17 Comments

I don't think is possible but if it is I would also like to know how. I'm sure the police can trace or fraud prevention unit.

Quick answer is no . Breach of data protection law . The bank will not provide you with this information

The police can, but even if they did they'd wouldn't share the information with you.

Best you can get with the sort code is the branch that it's for.

Once you have exhausted the police route, name and shame online to warn others.

Where did you start contact with person ? What did you sell, is item blockable or does it have a Serial / IEMI ?

Have you discussed this with the bank? Did you do a electronic transfer to the person?.
Ask the bank to do a trace/recall which can take up to 20days, they will communicate with the other bank and 'request' the funds back, this normally does require the consent of the account holder but it may get them to give it back.
It is always worth doing this as if their bank keeps getting requests like this then they may actually look into it further and potentially look to exit/close the account they hold as they don't want fraudsters/scammers.

ripped off

Do you mean scammed? Are you alleging a crime such as fraud? Given the information you do have you could always report it here actionfraud.police.uk/ or ring them on 0300 123 2040
and this page may help
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ms/

Even if you cant get your money back perhaps you can stop this person ripping off others?

If you have the persons name then an internet search may well provide what you need, I have found people using this method, it takes some patience and lots of time but even those who don't want to be found can be.

Banned

Report it to the police and Action Fraud, pursue it down the legal route, give them a CCJ then send the bailiffs.

Banned

ceres

Neither the Police nor Action Fraud will provide the OP with contact … Neither the Police nor Action Fraud will provide the OP with contact details.

I wasn't implying they would, but they may recover the stolen funds.

you must have their name right??

look up the branch via sort code, put their name into facebook and look for people local to the town the branch is in

If you have their vehicle veg you can perform a search against it through the DVLA.

Banned

ceres

There is no indication in the OP that a theft has occurred. If the … There is no indication in the OP that a theft has occurred. If the Police and/or Action Fraud can't/won't provide the OP with the contact details, how are they to pursue a legal claim, get a CCJ and send the bailiffs in?

"I recently have been ripped of for £400"

Are you blind or just retarded..

WonkyDoctor

"I recently have been ripped of for £400"Are you blind or just retarded..

i dont see where the op says HOW he was 'ripped off' but perhaps i am both blind and retarded?
what if eg he bought a 2nd hand item and paid 400quid and its now broken?

ceres

What brilly said. That's just one of the possible scenarios that don't … What brilly said. That's just one of the possible scenarios that don't involve theft. I may be blind or I may be retarded but I understand the difference between a criminal offence and a civil claim.Now for the benefit of the OP, given that you accept that neither the Police not Action Fraud will provide the OP with contact details, how are they to pursue a legal claim, get a CCJ and send the bailiffs in? You haven't actually explained this yet.

Well if there is enough evidence for the CPS to take it to court the defendant will have to state hit/her name and address. This can then be used if you decide to chase the funds via a private prosecution.

If they receive a caution you then can instruct a solicitor to contact the issuing authority as a victim of crime for the details for a private prosecution.

If there is not sufficient evidence for them to be charged then you are unlikely to be successful in your own prosecution.

ceres

Evidence of what exactly? The OP has not provided any information that … Evidence of what exactly? The OP has not provided any information that suggest a criminal offence has been committed. And even if there has been, launching a private prosecution for £400 would be a foolhardy venture.

All I was answering was how they would obtain the details.
If there is a case to even contact the police is another matter. As you rightly say we don't know the details so can't comment on that aspect.

As for recovering the funds. You may be successful or you may not but if nobody bothered it would just encourage people to scam even more. Just notice of intended prosecution would make many pay up.

But in reality the likelihood is you are just going to have to suck it up, learn from the mistake and move on.

Original Poster

Thankyou Everyone for the comments and advice on this thread.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247674
    2. Stock informer48
    3. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!1525
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3489

See more discussions