Groups
    EXPIRED

Is it possible to turn my wifi off at specific time

i want to be able to shut the wifi off so my 12yo can't pretend to be asleep only to 'wake up' and spend another 3 hours online.

48 Comments

Maybe use a timer plug? I am sure there is another way but I dont know how.

Can you not just switch off at the hub?

Use parental controls in the router. Whos router?

Edited by: "getmeone" 8th Dec 2016

Depends on the router.
    On the more configurable routers or ones which allow custom firmware it's normally a case of activating and setting a schedule.

Set a password so only you can login

Original Poster

mgnhrt

Maybe use a timer plug? I am sure there is another way but I dont know … Maybe use a timer plug? I am sure there is another way but I dont know how.

Might work for a short time thanks

Depends who your provider is and what router you have

Booreba

Might work for a short time thanks

No Problem might be worth putting it on a little earlier than needed just so it has time to fully boot up before you need it.
    Edited by: "mgnhrt" 8th Dec 2016

Original Poster

joedastudd

Depends on the router.On the more configurable routers or ones which … Depends on the router.On the more configurable routers or ones which allow custom firmware it's normally a case of activating and setting a schedule.

I've only got the basic Sky router, would that work?

Depending on the make and model of the router, the control panel may have "QOS" and other settings where you can limit access from certain devices at certain times.

Usually, the routers you buy yourself have this, and the cheap freebies from the big ISPs dont, although there are exceptions.

This would allow you access, but stop him from connecting.

Just be aware that the average 12 y/o can probably think circles around you when it comes to technology.

Most decent routers have time seeings to limit devices.

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

Depends who your provider is and what router you have

I'm with Sky.

no need to switch the hub/router off.
    if its a decent router - you can control the hrs it will allow connection....or control the hardware connected to it by MAC addresses - see here: ianswerguy.com/lim…gs/

Original Poster

[quote=chuckiedoll]Can you not just switch off at the hub?[/quote

I have done this and hid the router, I'd hoped there might be a simpler solution.

192.168.0.1 type that in your computer browser bar. this is the settings for your router. you can change the settings on the router so the wifi turns off a specific times. i do this for individual devices so the kids cant go on the computer but we can still watch tv.

failing that just turn off the router!
    Edited by: "baileysqueen" 8th Dec 2016

Original Poster

cifa

no need to switch the hub/router off. if its a decent router - you can … no need to switch the hub/router off. if its a decent router - you can control the hrs it will allow connection....or control the hardware connected to it by MAC addresses - see here: http://www.ianswerguy.com/limit-internet-access-using-router-settings/

Thanks will give it a read shortly

Booreba

I've only got the basic Sky router, would that work?

Either take a photo of the back of the router with all the model information (blank out the wifi id, password, admin password, etc) or make a note of the make and model and let us know.

Sky have given various routers out over the years and they will all have different options/settings.

Original Poster

baileysqueen

192.168.0.1 type that in your computer browser bar. this is the settings … 192.168.0.1 type that in your computer browser bar. this is the settings for your router. you can change the settings on the router so the wifi turns off a specific times. i do this for individual devices so the kids cant go on the computer but we can still watch tv

With Sky? I did look but I only found blocking sites, nothing to do with timings.

Most routers allow you to block Mac address at specific time.
    to access you router on windows Start>RUN> CMD> IPConfig then look for the default Gateway IP may be "192.168.1.1" or "192.168.0.1"
    Enter this in to your internet browser E.G IE, Firefox, Chrome. you router should then ask you for a username and password. this can be found on the router or may be Username: Admin Password admin or password.
    then look for "parental controls" or a bit that give you Mac address blocking normaly the router will show the mac address that have conntected to the router before. pick and select the time you want it to stop internet access. apply and reboot the router and your done.

if you on BThomeHub Look at the link below. after applying the changes waiting 5mins then reboot your router.
    BT Parental Controls - 'How to...' guide

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 8th Dec 2016

Booreba

I'm with Sky.

There's a schedule option in the router settings to do exactly this, however is will deny everyone access not just your child.

BTW if your child has half a brain he can turn it back on. To stop this you need to change the default router login details as a simple Google will tell your child the password is either Sky or password

Original Poster

joedastudd

Either take a photo of the back of the router with all the model … Either take a photo of the back of the router with all the model information (blank out the wifi id, password, admin password, etc) or make a note of the make and model and let us know.Sky have given various routers out over the years and they will all have different options/settings.

It's a Sky hub sr black one

Try ourpact app

Most Netgear Routers certainly do this. They also have a guest network, so you can give the kids only access to the internet (and not the local home network). Which is useful/safer if they are downloading stuff to prevent other machines been infected across the network.

You can also put keywords into the router to block domains.
    More people I know seem to be using this avoid TV Licencing/iPlayer content since Sept 2016, by physically blocking "bbc.co.uk/iplayer".

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

There's a schedule option in the router settings to do exactly this, … There's a schedule option in the router settings to do exactly this, however is will deny everyone access not just your child. BTW if your child has half a brain he can turn it back on. To stop this you need to change the default router login details as a simple Google will tell your child the password is either Sky or password

He's only just turned 12, he's not very conniving just yet. I just want him to get a good nights sleep without the temptation.

If it's the black square sky box...
    Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser
    Login in will be admin - sky as pass
    Goto security tab, then schedule tab below.
    Set your times..

I read somewhere that changing password everyday gets children to do what you want

Original Poster

Thanks for input everyone, I'm going to read the links :))

I don't understand why this has to be such technological feat?

Banned

Teezgaff

If it's the black square sky box...Type 192.168.0.1 into your … If it's the black square sky box...Type 192.168.0.1 into your browserLogin in will be admin - sky as passGoto security tab, then schedule tab below.Set your times..

That'll only work if the accessing PC is hard wired, if it's over WIFI that won't work unless it's been enabled via the settings, which you have to do via a hardwired PC in the first place.

Original Poster

Teezgaff

If it's the black square sky box...Type 192.168.0.1 into your … If it's the black square sky box...Type 192.168.0.1 into your browserLogin in will be admin - sky as passGoto security tab, then schedule tab below.Set your times..

Well that was simple enough 00 30 till 06 00 hours thanks

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

That'll only work if the accessing PC is hard wired, if it's over WIFI … That'll only work if the accessing PC is hard wired, if it's over WIFI that won't work unless it's been enabled via the settings, which you have to do via a hardwired PC in the first place.

I'm confused again now

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Most decent routers have time seeings to limit devices.

Yer simple enough

Booreba

I'm confused again now

Don't worry.. He obviously not got a sky router..

You could go low tech and plug the router into a timer plug that will turn off/on. Although a 12 year could easily turn it back on I suppose.

WonkyDoctor

That'll only work if the accessing PC is hard wired, if it's over WIFI … That'll only work if the accessing PC is hard wired, if it's over WIFI that won't work unless it's been enabled via the settings, which you have to do via a hardwired PC in the first place.

you clearly don't know what you are talking about. to access ANY router all you need is the id (SSID) and password. for that wifi service. once you have got into the wifi the instructions form teezgaff will work. you don't need to be connected by cable to do it.
    Edited by: "jonnithomas" 8th Dec 2016

btw I have just read the scheduling details and it only implements rules to firewall to block specific sites as follows...

ScheduleIf you have set Firewall Rules on the Rules screen or Keyword … ScheduleIf you have set Firewall Rules on the Rules screen or Keyword Filtering on the Block Sites screen, you can set up a schedule for the time of day the rules are applied.To apply Rules based on a schedule On the Rules screen create the required Rules using either Block by Schedule or Allow by Schedule for each rule Select the Enable checkbox on that screen Tick the days and times on this screen, as required Select ApplyNote: If the schedule is modified on this screen, this affects ALL Rules which are using a schedule

Edited by: "jonnithomas" 8th Dec 2016

the way to do it for a specific device is as follows ....

Although you cannot switch off the wireless at certain times you can block different devices at certain times.

First of all log into the router and go to advanced and then LAN IP Set up. Then scroll down to the address reservation table and select add. You can then either select from the list the device you want to block or you can manually enter the device IP address, MAC address and what you want to call that device by pressing add at the bottom. If you want to block multiple devices then it is advisable to manually enter their details using the input boxes and give the devices consecutive IP addresses such as 192.168.0.50 and then 192.168.0.51. The reason for this is below.

Once this is done then go to security and then select the schedule tab. On here you can select which days and times you want the devices to be blocked just hit apply once you Have selected these.

Then select the firewalls tab and under outbound services select add. In the first dropdown which is services select any (ALL). In the drop down "action" select block by schedule. In the next drop down select single address to block one device or address range to block more than one . If it is one device then just enter its IP address where it says start and press add. If it's multiple devices then enter the lowest IP address where it says start and the highest IP address where it says finish then just hit add.

This then means that as these devices will now have their selected IP address all the time and there is now a rule set up to block these IP addresses at certain times meaning they will no longer be able to access the Internet on their devices but you will.

HOWEVER if little johnny is using a smartfone or similar he would still be able to access the internet over 3G or 4G.

so I suggest just taking the little darlings device away when they go to bed. lol or if it's a desktop/laptop put in a extension join in the mains cable and just unplug the live bit each night.

either that or try discipline ? you know,... if I find you using it I will remove the device for a week/month whatever.

My 2c....don't switch off the router (multiple times during the day) as more than likely you will end up invoking DLM on your line and your sync rate will drop (drop in speed). Instead, use staic IP for your kid's device and then schedule within router's LAN configuration to block access during certain times. That way you can have uninterrupted access to all other devices...

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it. The boy is currently on his laptop but first thing in the morning I will go through these suggestions and hopefully sort it.

Banned

mac address ban his device you'll find it in the settings

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Gear best shipping?44
    2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
    3. Virgin Media TV56
    4. Tooth extraction99

See more discussions