Is it possible to use propane/butane on conventional ovens?

Found 24th Jun 2011
I found a place that was selling a second hand oven for dirt cheap and am thinking about using it in the garage for larger roasts. Does anyone know these ovens can be connected to bottled gas tanks? If so would you use propane or butane?

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Oven
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Oven
15 Comments

It can be done but you need to change the jets to restrict the gas flow. Not sure how that's done on an oven tbh. Propanes best as it can be used in colder conditions.

Original Poster

So I need to match the rate of gas flow similar to that of a normal fitted oven?

Civic EG6

So I need to match the rate of gas flow similar to that of a normal … So I need to match the rate of gas flow similar to that of a normal fitted oven?

If the jetting is not correct the smoke will set off your smoke detector

X)

PS You will need to contact the oven makers or it may be worth chgecking out some one who fits this sort of thing such as a caravan park

Edited by: "DEALWARRIOR" 24th Jun 2011

the easy answer is no you can't.
you are not allowed to make any changes to gas appliances your cooker is meant to run only on natural gas

You would need a special gas regulator.

Could you not do it properly and just have a gas line from the mains plumbed into the garage?

effingandjeffing

the easy answer is no you can't.you are not allowed to make any changes … the easy answer is no you can't.you are not allowed to make any changes to gas appliances your cooker is meant to run only on natural gas

This^^ Ignore the rest.

Don't be so daft and put your family at risk - nevermind negating your insurance.

moob

This^^ Ignore the rest.Don't be so daft and put your family at risk - … This^^ Ignore the rest.Don't be so daft and put your family at risk - nevermind negating your insurance.

Is this the right moment to point out that even cheapo ovens run on natural or LPG?

Example : coopelectricalshop.co.uk/pro…eed

Shengis

Is this the right moment to point out that even cheapo ovens run on … Is this the right moment to point out that even cheapo ovens run on natural or LPG?Example : http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=FLA-CKR-FSG51WP_FS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=basefeed

Perhaps not, as I get the impression the OP intends to convert this himself - which is dangerous and illegal.
Edited by: "moob" 24th Jun 2011

moob

Perhaps not, as I get the impression the OP intends to convert this … Perhaps not, as I get the impression the OP intends to convert this himself - which is dangerous and illegal.

I forgot rule 1 of HUKD. Assume the worst of everyone X)

effingandjeffing

the easy answer is no you can't.you are not allowed to make any changes … the easy answer is no you can't.you are not allowed to make any changes to gas appliances your cooker is meant to run only on natural gas

The oven I bought a couple of years ago had some adapters with it that I could have installed to run it on propane/butane

Give Strickland Propane a call, H Hill is a very helpful guy.

Shengis

I forgot rule 1 of HUKD. Assume the worst of everyone X)

Not at all Shengis.

I'm working on the assumption the OP intends doing this himself based on the fact he's looking at buying the oven on the cheap. Common sense would dictate he wouldn't get the oven on the cheap and spend (probably) more getting it legally installed by a Gas Safe fitter.

Well the whole point of this site is getting stuff cheap so who can tell. I too think that was the OP's intention, just chuck a rubber pipe on the back and away you go..... Lets look at the options anyway.

1. Gas main from the house to a bayonet fitting in the garage. Shouldn't cost too much depending on the layout. If the gas mains on the other side of the house to the garage you're screwed.

2. Rejetting. First there's the cost of the conversion, which may not even be possible on that particular model. Then copper pipe will still need to be run in the garage to the point where the gas bottles are kept outside. For safety a cage will be needed for the bottles to protect the flexi pipe/prevent theft. Then theres the excessive price of bottled gas. I was using about £70 worth a MONTH in my static a few years ago.....

So option 2 is potentially more expensive than option 1 and a lot more work i'd say X)

Either way Shengis, I'm sure you'll agree, it's a mental idea. Cheaper in the long run to get connected to the mains, area dependent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions