Groups

Is it pounds or pence to run a tumble drier?? xx

Just want to know roughly how much it costs to run the tumble drier each time...is like pennies or are we talking a few quid each time??

Rep for help as always peeps xx

90 Comments

uk.answers.yahoo.com/que…WTA

you could look here? but it depends on per unit cost of your elec? if its 15p for eg then it should be 30p an hour or thereabouts.

Its not £s anyway! unless you use it a lot you wont notice it. And its labour saving as no ironing for lots of items after tumbling.

plumberman01;6629056

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090718031444AAPeWTAyou … http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090718031444AAPeWTAyou could look here? but it depends on per unit cost of your elec? if its 15p for eg then it should be 30p an hour or thereabouts.Its not £s anyway! unless you use it a lot you wont notice it. And its labour saving as no ironing for lots of items after tumbling.

+1

Tumble driers use about 3000W @ 12p per unit =36p per hour

Equate it other appliances

1 hour of your tumble drier
    = your kettle boiling for the same amount of time
    = your shower running for 20 mins

Original Poster

Ah thanks guys...much appreciated;-) Everyone goes on about how expensive it is and I was just wondering....not really all that expensive at all :thumbsup:

hannah19790;6629076

Ah thanks guys...much appreciated;-) Everyone goes on about how expensive … Ah thanks guys...much appreciated;-) Everyone goes on about how expensive it is and I was just wondering....not really all that expensive at all :thumbsup:

I remember when i lived with my parents my father would always bang on about the tumble dryer being on and how its costing him the earth every time i used it..what a fibber..36p and hour is hardly going to break the bank is it

depends on how long you have it running for and at which setting....but its not cheap...lol...

it could go over the pound mark if you have it on for hours.....

Ella'sMummy;6629099

I remember when i lived with my parents my father would always bang on … I remember when i lived with my parents my father would always bang on about the tumble dryer being on and how its costing him the earth every time i used it..what a fibber..36p and hour is hardly going to break the bank is it

well i think when you become reliant on it then it becomes expensive-i wouldnt dream of hanging washing out now so im sure mine must cost me about 10 hours worth a week with a family. Once you use a dryer i dont think you use the line :oops:

Banned

hannah19790;6629076

Ah thanks guys...much appreciated;-) Everyone goes on about how expensive … Ah thanks guys...much appreciated;-) Everyone goes on about how expensive it is and I was just wondering....not really all that expensive at all :thumbsup:

its probably the most expensive electrical gadget in the home

use it for an hour daily and you're looking at £180 a year on the leccy:w00t:

mine goes on the line (excluding Nov-March) and then in the airing cupboard which does a good job too

tumble dryer only used when need something dried quickly

Banned

plumberman01;6629128

well i think when you become reliant on it then it becomes expensive-i … well i think when you become reliant on it then it becomes expensive-i wouldnt dream of hanging washing out now so im sure mine must cost me about 10 hours worth a week with a family. Once you use a dryer i dont think you use the line :oops:

10 hours a week = around £250 per year in electric! :w00t:

you must be loaded to chuck that down the drain :thinking:

the line is fine for washing until it gets down to about 5 degrees

Ella'sMummy;6629099

I remember when i lived with my parents my father would always bang on … I remember when i lived with my parents my father would always bang on about the tumble dryer being on and how its costing him the earth every time i used it..what a fibber..36p and hour is hardly going to break the bank is it

the more you use it the more expensive it costs to run,,,it soon adds up,,,:thumbsup:

The wife sticks ours on for 90 minutes "to make sure they are dry". :whistling:

Most things are dry after 50 minutes, especially as we spin them in the washing machine first

mine goes on the line (excluding Nov-March) and then in the airing … mine goes on the line (excluding Nov-March) and then in the airing cupboard which does a good job tootumble dryer only used when need something dried quickly

Do you put them wet into the airing cupboard? :? And how many times do you end up using it then (on average, in the winter)

we started using one of those "racks" that you pull up with pulley ropes about three years ago, albeit we live in a large terrace, has saved us nearly £700 on electric/central heating so far

csiman;6629168

10 hours a week = around £250 per year in electric! :w00t:you must be … 10 hours a week = around £250 per year in electric! :w00t:you must be loaded to chuck that down the drain :thinking:the line is fine for washing until it gets down to about 5 degrees

i dont have an airing cupboard and tbh we dont use the heating enough to dry it on the rads.
    Its my vice i guess:whistling:

fskinner;6629287

we started using one of those "racks" that you pull up with pulley ropes … we started using one of those "racks" that you pull up with pulley ropes about three years ago, albeit we live in a large terrace, has saved us nearly £700 on electric/central heating so far

how does it save on heating:?

We always use the washing line or a clothes rack. Never had a tumble drier.Hung out the sheets and duvet cover at 07:30 this morning and as the wind is blowing they will be almost dry.

Banned

Johnboy_1975;6629259

Do you put them wet into the airing cupboard? :? And how many times do … Do you put them wet into the airing cupboard? :? And how many times do you end up using it then (on average, in the winter)

mine come out pretty dry from the washing machine anyway so airing cupbooard overnight finishes them off

probably use the tumble dryer about 10 times a year max

I really should cut down, I tumble dry most days, regardless of the weather :oops:

There was an article in a newspaper recently telling you how much it cost to use certain items.

A dryer was 52p an hour.

deb8z;6629437

There was an article in a newspaper recently telling you how much it cost … There was an article in a newspaper recently telling you how much it cost to use certain items.A dryer was 52p an hour.

oh dear, thats about £3 a day for me. :w00t: maybe a new years resolution to start hanging out!

bitseylango;6629383

I really should cut down, I tumble dry most days, regardless of the … I really should cut down, I tumble dry most days, regardless of the weather :oops:

When you add it up that's a fair bit,over a hundred pounds a year.

I posted before i saw your other post bits,3 quid a day bloody ell lol

bitseylango;6629459

oh dear, thats about £3 a day for me. :w00t: maybe a new years resolution … oh dear, thats about £3 a day for me. :w00t: maybe a new years resolution to start hanging out!

You have your dryer on 6 hours a day?

You must be paying a fortune in washing machine leccy too then.

bitseylango;6629383

I really should cut down, I tumble dry most days, regardless of the … I really should cut down, I tumble dry most days, regardless of the weather :oops:

+1:oops::whistling:

Just have a look at your meter going round without the tumble dryer on and then see how much faster it goes with it on! We keep getting told to reduce our energy consumption and if you are able to NOT rely on your tumble dryer all the time you'll save yourself some money but more importantly you'll be making a useful contribution to your environment.

Actually it was 52p a cycle NOT hour.

The below costs are per hour unless otherwise stated

TELEVISION

Plasma TV 5p

Plasma TV on standby 0.4p

Other TVs 2.5p

Other TVs on standby 0.3p

Set-top box 0.1p

KITCHEN

Dishwasher 14p a load

Electric cooker ring 30p

Electric cooker oven 33p

Gas cooker ring 9p

Gas cooker oven 18p

Microwave 1p for 5mins

Kettle 2p a boil

Toaster (two slices) 0.7p

LIVING ROOM

DVD player 0.1p

Desktop computer 1p

Laptop computer 0.25p

Inkjet printer 0.4p

Radio 0.1p

CLEANING

Iron 30p

Washing machine 14p a load

Tumble dryer 52p a cycle

Vacuum cleaner 16p

MISCELLANEOUS

Traditional light bulb 1p

Energy-saving lightbulb 0.15p

Gas fire 23p

Immersion heater 41p

Digital camera charger 0.1p

Mobile phone charger 0.02p

MP3 charger 0.05p

PlayStation 3 3p

Xbox 360 2p

Nintendo Wii 0.25p

Wireless router 0.14p

Hairdryer 27p

Hair straighteners 1p

BATHROOM

Bath 10p a bath

Shower 5p a shower

deb8z;6629538

The below costs are per hour unless otherwise statedTELEVISIONPlasma TV … The below costs are per hour unless otherwise statedTELEVISIONPlasma TV 5p Plasma TV on standby 0.4p Other TVs 2.5p Other TVs on standby 0.3p Set-top box 0.1p KITCHENDishwasher 14p a load Electric cooker ring 30p Electric cooker oven 33p Gas cooker ring 9p Gas cooker oven 18p Microwave 1p for 5mins Kettle 2p a boil Toaster (two slices) 0.7p LIVING ROOM DVD player 0.1p Desktop computer 1p Laptop computer 0.25p Inkjet printer 0.4p Radio 0.1p CLEANINGIron 30p Washing machine 14p a load Tumble dryer 52p a cycle Vacuum cleaner 16p MISCELLANEOUS Traditional light bulb 1p Energy-saving lightbulb 0.15p Gas fire 23p Immersion heater 41p Digital camera charger 0.1p Mobile phone charger 0.02p MP3 charger 0.05p PlayStation 3 3p Xbox 360 2p Nintendo Wii 0.25p Wireless router 0.14p Hairdryer 27p Hair straighteners 1p BATHROOMBath 10p a bath Shower 5p a shower

Are those figures per hour where it doesn't say 'per cycle/bath etc'?

Yes,its per hour,i put it at the top ^^^^^^^

We use ours very rarely, only for stuff that really needs drying right away because they need to wear it soon. Other than that we still use the washing line for most things even in the winter, and if it's raining or whatever so we can't use the line, we use the airing cupboard and/or the radiators.. mainly the bathroom radiator as that's fed from the downstairs fire and is always hot in the winter.
    If you use the drier sensibly then it shouldn't cost too much to run, you could always put stuff in for 20 mins instead of an hour to get it partly dry and then finish off the drying process as above.. or the other way around.

[edit] just noticed the post about what things cost per hour... the one about TVs is wrong.

An LCD TV generally now only uses around

Shower at 10kw = £1.50 an hour approx, they got 5p, that's 2 minutes. Must have been a baldie in that shower.

Don't agree with the PC either at 1p PH, mine keeps the room warm when running.

greg_68;6629601

Shower at 10kw = £1.50 an hour approx, they got 5p, that's 2 minutes. … Shower at 10kw = £1.50 an hour approx, they got 5p, that's 2 minutes. Must have been a baldie in that shower.Don't agree with the PC either at 1p PH, mine keeps the room warm when running.

The info came from EON:thumbsup:

Banned

i dont use a line, infact i dont have a line, i have a condensor drier and is used for everything, towels and jeans take the longest to dry, my leccy is £28 a month and covers my yearly bills, have the mormal things, tv, lappy, lights, electric shower, washer, cooker, fridge, freezer, etc,etc so not that expensive

deb8z;6629620

The info came from EON:thumbsup:

Not knocking you, some good info. Just seems a little questionable, lets face it if EON told you all the costs were really high then you wouldn't use it = lower profits for EON.

greg_68;6629634

Not knocking you, some good info. Just seems a little questionable, lets … Not knocking you, some good info. Just seems a little questionable, lets face it if EON told you all the costs were really high then you wouldn't use it = lower profits for EON.

I thought it was high anyway 52p for a dryer:w00t: so you're saying it could be even more than that,glad i don't have one lol

You can't beat the smell of washing dried on the line, I feel old saying that, but it's true! lol

Banned

deb8z;6629580

Yes,its per hour,i put it at the top ^^^^^^^

no way does a laptop only consume 0.25p per hour

the others look about right though :thumbsup:

lol Just looked at that list. Prob best not to do any housework or washing.:w00t: I`ve always been looking for a good excuse not to:giggle:

I guess most peoples leccy bills are around £250 per quarter, so say £2.50-£3 a day.

I think you would find it hard to make a real dent in those figures unless you have something blatantly using excessive leccy.

ChipSticks;6629759

You can't beat the smell of washing dried on the line, I feel old saying … You can't beat the smell of washing dried on the line, I feel old saying that, but it's true! lol

I LOVE when washing goes crunchy dry.... my kids hate it though.. arghh, I'm a slave to my younglings.

Banned

greg_68;6629904

I guess most peoples leccy bills are around £250 per quarter, so say … I guess most peoples leccy bills are around £250 per quarter, so say £2.50-£3 a day.I think you would find it hard to make a real dent in those figures unless you have something blatantly using excessive leccy.

£250 per qtr! :w00t:

I thought mine was pricey at £120 per qtr and £120 for gas! (4 bed deatched house).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2634
      2. Tesco vouchers?11
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767345
      4. word association Game73944515

See more discussions