is it really cheaper to book a holiday individually rather than a package?

Found 30th Dec 2017Edited by:"jayonline85"
We are planning an 11 night holiday to Turkey, Marmaris (Green Nature Diamond Hotel - all inclusive) and have seen it priced as a package on Jet2 for £2,061 for 3 people on 28/05/18. I have found it individually for £1,922, flights found on Flight Scanner for £997 for 3 people with 20kg luggage each and hotel was found on Travel Republic for £925, thats £1,922 without transfers. Transfers will probably be up to £100. Its the first time I've tried to book everything individually but just seems to work out the same really. Is it just a myth that booking everything individually is cheaper or have you found it cheaper yourself booking individually? Thanks
Community Updates
18 Comments
Sometimes it can be cheaper sometimes not. But the cost isn't always the issue/problem. If you book independently and there is a change to your flight then your accommodation may suffer and vice versa. If you book as a package then it's sorted out for you.

If your transfers are £100 then your new total is £2022. For that little difference I would take the package.

Have you thought about asking the package company to pricematch?
Edited by: "windym" 30th Dec 2017
Yes, there’s more protection if you book a package and in this day and age when flight companies are going bust and airline rotas in total chaosif it’s your only holiday might be best to buy the package rather than save a few pounds.
windym15 m ago

Sometimes it can be cheaper sometimes not. But the cost isn't always the …Sometimes it can be cheaper sometimes not. But the cost isn't always the issue/problem. If you book independently and there is a change to your flight then your accommodation may suffer and vice versa. If you book as a package then it's sorted out for you.If your transfers are £100 then your new total is £2022. For that little difference I would take the package. Have you thought about asking the package company to pricematch?

Ok I forgot about that issue of booking independently. That’s a big risk for a little saving really. I’ll also email Jet2 with pictures of the prices and ask to price match, worth a shot. Thanks
Edited by: "jayonline85" 30th Dec 2017
Must admit I always used to book the parts individually and found it to be 20%-30% cheaper than booking a package . However for the last 5 or 6 years I've found the Jet2 packages to be just as cheap (often cheaper) so the last 10 or so hols we have been with Jet2 , this March I've booked a package to Lanzarote with Thomas Cook as that worked out the cheapest .

I think if you can find a really cheap flight it is probably still possible to do it cheaper than a package (maybe Ryanair or EasyJet) but Jet2, Thomas Cook and TUI seem to keep their "Flight only " prices high and don't appear to do drastic reductions .

In answer to your question , It didn't used to be a myth years ago , but certainly in the last 5 or 6 years it has become difficult if not impossible to beat a package on price .

Pick any Jet2,Thomas Cook or TUI package - subtract the cost of the flights and it doesn't leave you much for accommodation .
Toptrumpet8 m ago

Yes, there’s more protection if you book a package and in this day and age …Yes, there’s more protection if you book a package and in this day and age when flight companies are going bust and airline rotas in total chaosif it’s your only holiday might be best to buy the package rather than save a few pounds.

So for the extra money I’m getting more security and peace of mind on my package deal aren’t I? Unless it’s a huge saving I’ll book a package. Thanks
Try looking for discount codes or if jet2, ask a fellow hukd’er if anyone’s got a rain check voucher that they won’tbe using.
rogparki14 m ago

Must admit I always used to book the parts individually and found it to be …Must admit I always used to book the parts individually and found it to be 20%-30% cheaper than booking a package . However for the last 5 or 6 years I've found the Jet2 packages to be just as cheap (often cheaper) so the last 10 or so hols we have been with Jet2 , this March I've booked a package to Lanzarote with Thomas Cook as that worked out the cheapest .I think if you can find a really cheap flight it is probably still possible to do it cheaper than a package (maybe Ryanair or EasyJet) but Jet2, Thomas Cook and TUI seem to keep their "Flight only " prices high and don't appear to do drastic reductions .In answer to your question , It didn't used to be a myth years ago , but certainly in the last 5 or 6 years it has become difficult if not impossible to beat a package on price .Pick any Jet2,Thomas Cook or TUI package - subtract the cost of the flights and it doesn't leave you much for accommodation .

Of my last 5 holidays I've found Jet2 to be the cheapest aswell. For the exact same holiday Thomas Cook want an extra £245 so ill ask them if they price match as I find Thomas Cook planes more comfortable to travel than Jet2 flights. Thanks for the info
Toptrumpet8 m ago

Try looking for discount codes or if jet2, ask a fellow hukd’er if a …Try looking for discount codes or if jet2, ask a fellow hukd’er if anyone’s got a rain check voucher that they won’tbe using.

Ill ask, where do people usually get these codes from? Never even heard of one so I've just googled it. Thanks
I don’t use jet2 but I think they’re given out as you disembark the plane by the cabin crew.
easyjet etc might get them by joining up to their Facebook page if they have one.I fly with them regularly and sometimes get codes for EasyJet holidays but not just flight bookings.
EasyJet. Holidays £100 discount code
Jet2 vouchers offers
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 30th Dec 2017
I seen a deal not long ago for Marmaris to for 10days i think, hibicus gardens, £375pp in july. Was with thomas cook, stayed there a few times, not bad hotel and about 10min walk to beach.
jayonline851 h, 26 m ago

Ill ask, where do people usually get these codes from? Never even heard of …Ill ask, where do people usually get these codes from? Never even heard of one so I've just googled it. Thanks

Jet2 codes are called "Rainchecks" -£60 off the whole holiday . I had a couple from my last holiday in November, they were valid for any 2018 holiday but expired on 31 December , I gave them away on here in December after I booked my Thomas Cook package . They are given when you get on your return flight.

Never heard of tour companies "pricematching" but the travel agent selling them might as they get a hefty chunk of commission (about 20%) .

Don't take any notice of the £100 per person offer on Jet2 Holidays , its already prediscounted on the price shown . Also recheck the prices after 6pm , I found they went down by £20 per person after 6pm and then went up again by £20 the next morning !
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Dec 2017
Always but depends on what you want. If your a family who pig out on over cooked food then you might get some joy on "all inclusive"

What we do is search for a good deal on accommodation and then find a flight we can afford. Sometimes we do it the other way around but not often. If you go direct to the hotels or owners of cottages & villas you tend to get the best deal. Things you need to be awar of is local major road work or renovations on the hotel but eventhough they can bring the price down a lot and if your out all day who cares if they are painting the place.
Edited by: "4TheManyNotTheFew" 30th Dec 2017
Here is the lowdown on how package holidays work, somewhere like thomas cook has a deal with certain hotels for rooms at a cheaper rate, the hotel will have lets say 25-40% they need to shift outside there deal, because of this most of the time they put a higher price then the actualy hotel is worth as they will most likley sell out still if in good area, so when you try to break down a package holiday and find its actually not a bad deal

then it is considering there is not many rooms available cause Thomson have booked them all in, best thing to do in my opinion is look at a package holidya around your style and budget then look for flights around the same month for time find cheapest flights that pease you, then transfers on hoppa, then take this amount away from the package holiday, then you have the cost of hotel price you can go up too, you can either pick a cheaper hotel to save money or pay the same to give yourself a better hotel for the same money as package

lot of this is down to timing, and you will find the package holiday seems a great deal until you get there and the hotel is not a lovely as tui thomas cook made it look
rogparki17 h, 10 m ago

Jet2 codes are called "Rainchecks" -£60 off the whole holiday . I had a …Jet2 codes are called "Rainchecks" -£60 off the whole holiday . I had a couple from my last holiday in November, they were valid for any 2018 holiday but expired on 31 December , I gave them away on here in December after I booked my Thomas Cook package . They are given when you get on your return flight.Never heard of tour companies "pricematching" but the travel agent selling them might as they get a hefty chunk of commission (about 20%) .Don't take any notice of the £100 per person offer on Jet2 Holidays , its already prediscounted on the price shown . Also recheck the prices after 6pm , I found they went down by £20 per person after 6pm and then went up again by £20 the next morning !

Ahh ok, this makes sense as to why I looked the other night and it was £2061 then the next morning it was £2091 and back down again by night , I thought it was my tracking cookies and they were raising the price due to me viewing it. Someone’s sent me a rain check code so I’ll see today if it’s working. Couldn’t find were to enter it on the website last night. Thanks for help
jayonline8552 m ago

Ahh ok, this makes sense as to why I looked the other night and it was …Ahh ok, this makes sense as to why I looked the other night and it was £2061 then the next morning it was £2091 and back down again by night , I thought it was my tracking cookies and they were raising the price due to me viewing it. Someone’s sent me a rain check code so I’ll see today if it’s working. Couldn’t find were to enter it on the website last night. Thanks for help

If I remember correctly there's a place to enter it on the last page before checkout ,after you have entered all your details,extras etc .
rogparki40 m ago

If I remember correctly there's a place to enter it on the last page …If I remember correctly there's a place to enter it on the last page before checkout ,after you have entered all your details,extras etc .

Thanks, I stopped at the details page because I thought I missed it. I’ll have a go later after 6pm when the prices are down
jayonline853 m ago

Thanks, I stopped at the details page because I thought I missed it. I’ll h …Thanks, I stopped at the details page because I thought I missed it. I’ll have a go later after 6pm when the prices are down

Don't forget to go via Topcashback ,there's £25.25 cashback from there and it paid for me twice last year .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants