Expired

Is it really possible to withold your number from 999 when using a mobile?

Found 22nd Jul 2012
Long and short of it is in the latest in a long line of harassment 999 has been called reporting a domestic at our house (we know who is behind it and have told the police this) but they claim it was from a mobile but the number was withheld - (how can they tell its mobile if its withheld?) and it costs thousands to trace them,

Now surely someone wasting the polices time utilising two cars and four plod in the process is worth prosecuting?

So is this possible or are the police full of porkies?

and if its possible it would mean anyone could do it free of prosecution.
Community Updates
MiscMobilesMobile Phone
36 Comments
BS withholding a call to 999 hides jack ****, they're just fobbing you off.
Has there been Domestic violence???

Now come on be honest???

Women do need a slap now and then to keep them inline
http://www.reportit.me.uk/userfiles/image/DomesticViolence.jpg

Porkies methinks.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/1995_98/technical/clic698.htm

Service Providers

As mentioned above, the PTOs transfer CLI (both NN and PN) between … As mentioned above, the PTOs transfer CLI (both NN and PN) between themselves, irrespective of whether you have requested it to be withheld from those you call. This is necessary for a range of reasons, including billing, call tracing and the handling of operator and 999 calls. To ensure that your privacy preferences are maintained, all PTOs are bound by a Code of Practice, backed up by their interconnect contracts, to ensure the authenticity and integrity of CLI and its privacy indicators, be it 'withheld' or 'unavailable'

MRS Harlzter is you watching!!!

http://www.stevenageneighbourhoodwatch.org/assets/images/DomViolence.jpg
?????
Profit
numptyj

141999?????Profit

Yes but would it still mask it from their systems
999 calls can't be with held. However. Calls to the non emergency number can.
im debating whether to post "first hukker murder on the cards?" or not....hmmmmmm decisions decisions.
splatsplatsplat

im debating whether to post "first hukker murder on the cards?" or … im debating whether to post "first hukker murder on the cards?" or not....hmmmmmm decisions decisions.

Wouldn't be the first
I sincerely doubt that the number would be withheld but it may be that the phone is not registered to anybody and therefore difficult to trace.

'If you have used the ‘withhold number’ facility, your telephone number will be displayed to the telephone exchange operator. This safety feature is to enable us to establish an approximate location of the emergency should the call get disconnected.'

Your text here
^^^^^ What I would have thought to
OP the only way to really find out is ask Lumoruk

http://i37.tinypic.com/2vdmpf4.gif
The other option that springs to mind is that perhaps the people reporting the alleged incident did not call 999 but a local general police station number to report it and perhaps these local numbers do not have automatic call tracing.

I would have thought that it still should still take the Police a simple phone call or two to gain access to the phone records of the number calling.
It is simple. But not justified for the above.
reddit

I sincerely doubt that the number would be withheld but it may be that … I sincerely doubt that the number would be withheld but it may be that the phone is not registered to anybody and therefore difficult to trace.

More likely.
reddit

I sincerely doubt that the number would be withheld but it may be that … I sincerely doubt that the number would be withheld but it may be that the phone is not registered to anybody and therefore difficult to trace.'If you have used the ‘withhold number’ facility, your telephone number will be displayed to the telephone exchange operator. This safety feature is to enable us to establish an approximate location of the emergency should the call get disconnected.'Your text here

Thanks thats just the stuff I need, on an official site that they cant really argue with
reddit

The other option that springs to mind is that perhaps the people … The other option that springs to mind is that perhaps the people reporting the alleged incident did not call 999 but a local general police station number to report it and perhaps these local numbers do not have automatic call tracing.I would have thought that it still should still take the Police a simple phone call or two to gain access to the phone records of the number calling.

No they checked whilst here and it was definitely a 999 call, even if its unregistered they can surely visit and compare her voice to the one on tape?
perhaps they police are lying to you, because they want to keep the person safe?

I work in Control for an emergency service and can assure you that you cannot withold your number when making a 999 call. The only time a number is unreadable is when "emergency calls only" or similar is displayed but even then we can triangulate the signal and gauge where the call came from to within a few hundred meters.
Edited by: "momartin" 22nd Jul 2012
try calling 999 and hang up they call you back in seconds
I called the cops from an automatically withheld landline years ago, the call handler put the call through to the police and read out the number, they are telling porkies i'm afraid.
momartin

I work in Control for an emergency service and can assure you that you … I work in Control for an emergency service and can assure you that you cannot withold your number when making a 999 call. The only time a number is unreadable is when "emergency calls only" or similar is displayed but even then we can triangulate the signal and gauge where the call came from to within a few hundred meters.

So when a phone reads 'emergency calls only' or similar, (often when there is no reception), and you try to call 112 or 999, how does the call get connected? Does your phone all of a sudden get connected through a satellite or something?

Also, if someone was to call 999 from a satellite phone, can this be traced? Or a calling card service......ok better stop with more suggestions before someone starts mis using.

If you cannot answer on the forum, then pm me the answer.
I am afraid you are fighting a losing battle here. Even if they got hold of the sim card and it showed the call was made from the mobile owned by who you think it is, proving they made the call is nigh impossible unless they do a voice recognition.

If you are being continually harassed then you need to get your MP etc on their case, they'll soon make some proper enquiries then. Ask for a form to make an offical complaint. In otherwords make them realize you will not be fobbed off.

Good luck.
the law knows everyone's number and records everyone's conversation.

you should know this and if you didn't, you now do.
mutley1

the law knows everyone's number and records everyone's conversation.you … the law knows everyone's number and records everyone's conversation.you should know this and if you didn't, you now do.

Echelon?
harlzter

No they checked whilst here and it was definitely a 999 call, even if its … No they checked whilst here and it was definitely a 999 call, even if its unregistered they can surely visit and compare her voice to the one on tape?

if its that serious yes

as for the with held 999 call in the all the time I have been on the beat .. that`s one I have never heard
Update, another call out today this time it was to the 101 number not emergency number, again witheld but they do seem to be taking this more seriously now and have marked it as "another harassment call" and seem to be more willing to look into it and are coming out tomorrow to discuss how to proceed.
Oracle1

So when a phone reads 'emergency calls only' or similar, (often when … So when a phone reads 'emergency calls only' or similar, (often when there is no reception), and you try to call 112 or 999, how does the call get connected? Does your phone all of a sudden get connected through a satellite or something?Also, if someone was to call 999 from a satellite phone, can this be traced? Or a calling card service......ok better stop with more suggestions before someone starts mis using.If you cannot answer on the forum, then pm me the answer.

I can't tell you anything that isn't already public knowledge sorry mate Your questions have already been answered by other members though
punkstoner1

No smoke without fire.

So how come your joints smoking but theres no fire there.
dog_cop

if its that serious yes as for the with held 999 call in the all the time … if its that serious yes as for the with held 999 call in the all the time I have been on the beat .. that`s one I have never heard

WTF

You're a real cop????????????????????????????????
Well 10 mins ago i withheld my number and requested FIRE, AMBULANCE AND POLICE to be sent next door.........

As of yet no flashing lights

P.S. I also tried sending a 12 inch tuna melt deep pan but the emergency operator just gave me another number to ring.
Edited by: "transit" 23rd Jul 2012
churchill

WTF You're a real cop????????????????????????????????

You're lucky he doesn't bring his work on here with him. You'd be history
Jimjams123

Well my daughter phoned 999 on emgency calls only and apparently they … Well my daughter phoned 999 on emgency calls only and apparently they couldn't locate her whilst she lay with internal bleeding from her torn liver after falling into the handle bars of her bike. If it wasn't for somebody finding her after an hour of being there and 7 calls made to 999 to no avail she would be dead. They couldn't locate because the nimber didn't come through with the call and was therefore untraceable. The police even drove around the area of the postcode she gave and didn't find her, on a main road. But ultimately they said it was untraceable because of signal??!!!!!

The number does show but they cant trace the location without requesting the call location from the service providers.

I hope your daughter has made a full recovery.
YouDontWantToKnow

The number does show but they cant trace the location without requesting … The number does show but they cant trace the location without requesting the call location from the service providers. I hope your daughter has made a full recovery.

wow u really like to think b4 you respond
miles136

wow u really like to think b4 you respond

Ha ha

Try & find the quote... It was done tonight but was deleted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants