Is it really that terrible if you...

Found 28th Jul 2009
... Submit a typed covering letter along with your CV when a written one is requested? I am applying for some jobs I saw on the JCP website and they all just have a generic 'Please forward CV/written application to:' message with regards to applying. This message is the same on every job advert so is teh words of the Job Center and not the employer.

Just really hate writing as it's something that I just never have to do and can't be assed doing drafts, having to rewrite a bunch of times due to mistakes etc, my handwriting is kinda messy too.

12 Comments

Depends on where you applied and for what role e.g. English teacher at a primary school lol.

Seriously though, I wouldn't think so. If anything it may possibly lower your chances in comparision to other people who submitted a written cover lettter, but that's about it.
I wouldn't worry about it too much :thumbsup:

I think you can safely assume that "written" means a covering letter of some description is expected - it doesn't mean you have to hand write it.

Banned

dancrawley;5870297

I think you can safely assume that "written" means a covering letter of … I think you can safely assume that "written" means a covering letter of some description is expected - it doesn't mean you have to hand write it.

+1

Original Poster

dancrawley;5870297

I think you can safely assume that "written" means a covering letter of … I think you can safely assume that "written" means a covering letter of some description is expected - it doesn't mean you have to hand write it.

Yeah that's what I was hoping it meant rather than hand written. Just thought I'd check as I don't want my application binned before they read it. Would have been less confusing if it said covering rather than written.

Anyway, thanks for the replies all.

No probs - good luck with the job applications :thumbsup:

Banned

what it actually means is CV or application as some jobs require an application form to be filled in and not a CV.

it mentions nothing of a cover letter but i guess it doesnt hurt to include one.

For what it's worth I think all these opinions so far are wrong. When I had to do the sorting and interviewing, any typed additions when written was asked for went straight in the bin, along with most CV's that are over 1 page in length.

059;5870857

For what it's worth I think all these opinions so far are wrong. When I … For what it's worth I think all these opinions so far are wrong. When I had to do the sorting and interviewing, any typed additions when written was asked for went straight in the bin, along with most CV's that are over 1 page in length.

Harsh, I bin CVs that are over two pages long, Also anyone who uses Comic Sans font goes in the bin. I also reject hand written applications, as I dont have time to read them.

DKLS;5870904

Harsh, I bin CVs that are over two pages long, Also anyone who uses Comic … Harsh, I bin CVs that are over two pages long, Also anyone who uses Comic Sans font goes in the bin. I also reject hand written applications, as I dont have time to read them.

I basically agree, it's not a question of having time to read them, but can you read them. A written cover letter is requested for that reason.

I usually read it as a hard copy application as opposed to one submitted by e-mail. There would be no point in requesting actual handwritted applications as it would take longer to actually read them.....

civms47;5870935

I usually read it as a hard copy application as opposed to one submitted … I usually read it as a hard copy application as opposed to one submitted by e-mail. There would be no point in requesting actual handwritted applications as it would take longer to actually read them.....

civms is probably right but recently while i was looking at a job they had tips for filling out application forms and one of the tips was; If the application form is filled out in the wrong colour of ink i.e. blue when the form states black some employers will disregard you without reading your application. pernickety gits!

jambo1082;5871028

civms is probably right but recently while i was looking at a job they … civms is probably right but recently while i was looking at a job they had tips for filling out application forms and one of the tips was; If the application form is filled out in the wrong colour of ink i.e. blue when the form states black some employers will disregard you without reading your application. pernickety gits!

I wouldnt say pernickety gits, If a candidate cannot follow a simple instruction like, "Please complete the application form in Black ink" and they then use red/Blue then its clear that the app form should go directly in the bin.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. meaning of op710
    2. Sainsbury's tu11
    3. NVR upgrade Issue.22
    4. Mobile phone advice1014

See more discussions