Is it safe to accept payment by paypal?

Found 25th Dec 2017Edited by:"mutley1"
I am selling something on gumtree for collection.

Someone has contacted me to ask if I would send him the stuff if he pays me by paypal. Is it safe for me to accept payment by paypal?

Would he be able to recall the payment if he claims that the goods did not arrive? I will be sending it by royal mail so i could send it with a request for signature to prove that the goods had been delivered.

Also, can I transfer the money from my paypal account to my bank account quite easily and without incurring any fees?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
If in doubt don’t bother. Why can’t someone who’s collecting pay cash?
gumtree + paypal = SCAM!!!!!!!
Original Poster
joxeruk20006 m ago

If in doubt don’t bother. Why can’t someone who’s collecting pay cash?

i advertised as collection but the person has asked if i could send it if he pays me to do so. i have emailed him to ask him where he lives. i assume that he is too far away to come and collect in person.
mutley14 m ago

i advertised as collection but the person has asked if i could send it if …i advertised as collection but the person has asked if i could send it if he pays me to do so. i have emailed him to ask him where he lives. i assume that he is too far away to come and collect in person.

I would be erring on the side of caution, if you advertised as collection why are they trying to change it after the event.
There's a few different ways you can get scammed.

One is that the scammer pretends to sell something and provides your PayPal email address to a 3rd party buyer, you receive a payment from that person and send what you're selling to the scammer, then of course the 3rd party doesn't get the item they thought they were buying so apply for a refund.

Another is that you receive a spoofed email "from PayPal" saying you've been paid hoping you don't actually check your PayPal account.

You said collection, best stick with that
hotukdeals.com/sea…pal

Have a peruse through threads on the above link.

But, to save you time, no it's not advisable.
Make sure they pay friends and family so they have no protection.
So long as you send via trackable means you should have just about as much protection as you do via eBay. Better still you could try and get them to pay via friends and family or better still a bank transfer. Just make sure the payment is legit, manually check your papal/bank.
If you would like to be ripped off, then go for it. Otherwise hold out for another buyer.

I’ve done it once but made the buyer jump through hoops and got plenty of proof they were genuine.
Bank transfer and pp f&f can be reversed if proven to be fraudulent.
Cash on collection with a note checker works for me.
I bought a camera lens on Gumtree. I asked the seller if I could pay by PayPal and have him enough to cover the asking price and fees.

That way, if he never sent it, I could claim back. If he did, he would have proof of postage/tracking. All turned out well
chuffedfox2 m ago

I bought a camera lens on Gumtree. I asked the seller if I could pay by …I bought a camera lens on Gumtree. I asked the seller if I could pay by PayPal and have him enough to cover the asking price and fees.That way, if he never sent it, I could claim back. If he did, he would have proof of postage/tracking. All turned out well

"your the buyer tho totallydifferent when your the seller"
I've sent something in the post in the past got the monies via PayPal no problems. That includes shpock too.
Edited by: "ssc1" 25th Dec 2017
jamstaruk19722 m ago

"your the buyer tho totallydifferent when your the seller"

The seller could have quite easily asked the question.

PayPal offers a mutual risk assurance for a small fee. No hardship in asking them for advice before committing a transaction.
This is without doubt the most stupid question you have ever asked, and there have been some real corkers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions