Expired

Is it safe to buy a £400 mobile from Amazon Marketplace, from a newly listed seller? I understand there is Amazon's guarantee protection. Any experiences / views to share? Thanks in advance

Found 21st Feb 2014
Is it safe to buy a £400 mobile (Galaxy N3) from Amazon Marketplace, from a newly listed seller? I understand there is Amazon's guarantee protection. Any experiences / views to share? Is there anything I need to watch out? I sent an email to the seller via Amazon and got confirmation that Mobile handset model is right, is UK model, has sealed box, is posted from UK etc.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
23 Comments
worst case you will need to send item back as unwanted item and it will cost you only return fee , once you emailed to seller Amazon keep records of it and anyhow seller wish to refuse to take it back you may open a to z claim you will get your money back from amazon and seller will start chasing you for the item back
male sure you read the amazon a-z terms carefully. its not magic and doesn't cover everything. Amazon themselves will not help if something doesn't fit the terms of the a-z guarantee.
Yes it is.

They guarantee you get what you pay for.

So make sure everything is as you expected, i.e, manufacturers warranty, condition etc etc.

Take sellers warranty with a pinch of salt. He might not be thete in 3 months.

If you arent happy with anything then send it back immediately.

You only have a small timeframe until you are no longer protected by Amazon.

Thats why manufacturers warranty is important.
If you get sent an empty box, that you sign for, its their word against yours.

I wouldn't bother. Pay a few quid extra and buy from someone reputable. If he's significantly cheaper than anyone else, watch out. Its all common sense really, but its so easy to scam people online I'm not suprised that people do it. No, I don't condone it, but there are a lot of people out there who'll send cash to anyone.
Many thanks celliecester, richardrenshaw, chrissyy2007 and devices for taking time to reply.

The phone I'm looking at is Galaxy Note 3 and I checked with seller, its N9005 (4G), UK handset, sealed, dispatched from Kent, by special delivery. On Amazon return info for this seller, it says amazon's returns policy applies and we should check with seller if they have any specific policies applicable (!). I've sent an email to the seller to clarify.

'Devices' - your idea about empty box is sounds like a possibility ..real nightmare. We can always do the returns (empy box) and get amazon to refund? Its crazy situation!

Its crazy there are no sensible shops on highstreet to buy this Note 3 for reasonable prices - most sell for 580-550 ..

All I want is pay sub 450 for this UK handset and get manufacturer warranty.
emmkay

Many thanks celliecester, richardrenshaw, chrissyy2007 and devices for … Many thanks celliecester, richardrenshaw, chrissyy2007 and devices for taking time to reply. The phone I'm looking at is Galaxy Note 3 and I checked with seller, its N9005 (4G), UK handset, sealed, dispatched from Kent, by special delivery. On Amazon return info for this seller, it says amazon's returns policy applies and we should check with seller if they have any specific policies applicable (!). I've sent an email to the seller to clarify.'Devices' - your idea about empty box is sounds like a possibility ..real nightmare. We can always do the returns (empy box) and get amazon to refund? Its crazy situation!Its crazy there are no sensible shops on highstreet to buy this Note 3 for reasonable prices - most sell for 580-550 ..All I want is pay sub 450 for this UK handset and get manufacturer warranty.

There are some decent ones going on eBay. Beware some. I ordered one for £360 and still not got it after 2 weeks. Resolution centre you have to wait like 20 days before you can escaltate. So I have to wait until Tuesday before I can get my money back which no doubt will take 3-5 working days to process and most likely go to paypal balance. grr.
Thanks krazyasif786 for sharing your experience!

Hey guys, just found that ASDA have back in stock for 449, ordered mine. Thanks for the PM by sparkylicious Shame that deal got voted cold.. some crazy voting at times here. Better play safe than sorry. Amazon marketplace or eBay can be great for smaller items, when stakes are high, can't take risk.

Thanks all again.. have a nice day!
I'd choose amazon over ebay everyday. Amazon customer services is awesome.

Thanks for the heads up for the ASDA deal.
emmkay

Thanks krazyasif786 for sharing your experience! Hey guys, just found … Thanks krazyasif786 for sharing your experience! Hey guys, just found that ASDA have back in stock for 449, ordered mine. Thanks for the PM by sparkylicious Shame that deal got voted cold.. some crazy voting at times here. Better play safe than sorry. Amazon marketplace or eBay can be great for smaller items, when stakes are high, can't take risk.Thanks all again.. have a nice day!

remember there are two versions of the Note 3. N9005 is the one you want as its 4G, LTE and records in 4K. The other one doesnt and is region locked.
krazyasif786

remember there are two versions of the Note 3. N9005 is the one you want … remember there are two versions of the Note 3. N9005 is the one you want as its 4G, LTE and records in 4K. The other one doesnt and is region locked.

Thanks for reminding this. ASDA one is 4G, 32GB, so must be N9005 I guess, link is below..

direct.asda.com/Sam…tml
emmkay

Thanks for reminding this. ASDA one is 4G, 32GB, so must be N9005 I … Thanks for reminding this. ASDA one is 4G, 32GB, so must be N9005 I guess, link is below..http://direct.asda.com/Samsung-GALAXY-Note-3---Android-Phone/008740558,default,pd.html

Yeah looks that way. If you click on the user manual tab - the manual shows N9005
krazyasif786

Yeah looks that way. If you click on the user manual tab - the manual … Yeah looks that way. If you click on the user manual tab - the manual shows N9005

Thanks! well spotted. Now I'm looking at glass screen protector vs matt protector, flip case and magnetic closer for flip case etc
emmkay

Thanks! well spotted. Now I'm looking at glass screen protector vs matt … Thanks! well spotted. Now I'm looking at glass screen protector vs matt protector, flip case and magnetic closer for flip case etc

remember if you buy at ASDA you get free smart cover:

Free Samsung Galaxy Gift
Select free gift from Samsung when you purchase this item. Choose from these great free gifts:
• £10 Samsung Hub gift voucher to spend on content.

• 3 months’ free subscription to InStyle magazine.

• Black or white Galaxy Note 3 Flip Wallet Cover.

• Design Collection Galaxy smartphone back cover.

Please visit samsung.com/uk/…fts to claim and for full terms & conditions.
remember if you buy at ASDA you get free smart cover:

Free Samsung Galaxy Gift
Select free gift from Samsung when you purchase this item. Choose from these great free gifts:
• £10 Samsung Hub gift voucher to spend on content.

• 3 months’ free subscription to InStyle magazine.

• Black or white Galaxy Note 3 Flip Wallet Cover.

• Design Collection Galaxy smartphone back cover.

Please visit samsung.com/uk/…fts to claim and for full terms & conditions.[/quote]

Actually I had looked at this link and it seems the gift depends on when and where you buy the phone. We don't get to choose. If its ASDA, the gift is 16GB memeory card rated 6. Not that fast and not as big. Also the cover is without the window?, to see who is calling and accept the call without opening the cover. With my S3, I have learned window on cover is very useful feature.

Tempered Glass protector also seems to be good protection for the screen if it falls - the glass shatters to protect the screen. Seems worth investing in it.
emmkay

remember if you buy at ASDA you get free smart cover:Free Samsung Galaxy … remember if you buy at ASDA you get free smart cover:Free Samsung Galaxy Gift Select free gift from Samsung when you purchase this item. Choose from these great free gifts: • £10 Samsung Hub gift voucher to spend on content.• 3 months’ free subscription to InStyle magazine.• Black or white Galaxy Note 3 Flip Wallet Cover.• Design Collection Galaxy smartphone back cover.Please visit http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxygifts to claim and for full terms & conditions.

Actually I had looked at this link and it seems the gift depends on when and where you buy the phone. We don't get to choose. If its ASDA, the gift is 16GB memeory card rated 6. Not that fast and not as big. Also the cover is without the window?, to see who is calling and accept the call without opening the cover. With my S3, I have learned window on cover is very useful feature.

Tempered Glass protector also seems to be good protection for the screen if it falls - the glass shatters to protect the screen. Seems worth investing in it.[/quote]

May be an idea to contact ASDA Cutomer services as it's misleading advertising. It states that the above is what you can choose from.

end day a freebie is a freebie:)
May be an idea to contact ASDA Cutomer services as it's misleading advertising. It states that the above is what you can choose from.

end day a freebie is a freebie:)[/quote]

Indeed, a very valid point about telling ASDA about misleading advertising. I might do it.
If you receive an item in the post of high value make sure you open it in front of the postman who can act as a witness. Actually better still get him to open it while you video it. I would rather buy a phone from eBay than Amazon as EBay descriptions are alot better with photos etc. Alot of Amazon sellers don't seem to understand what sim free and unlocked means. I once bought an old IPhone described as like new with no mention of it being locked to orange. It certainly wasn't like new as the screen was scratched and didn't even have an official charger. Amazon said the condition category used by seller is entirely up to them to work out!!! EBay imo is alot better IF you can find a trustworthy seller. I've bought 3 phones off eBay with no problem.
devices

If you get sent an empty box, that you sign for, its their word against … If you get sent an empty box, that you sign for, its their word against yours. I wouldn't bother. Pay a few quid extra and buy from someone reputable. If he's significantly cheaper than anyone else, watch out. Its all common sense really, but its so easy to scam people online I'm not suprised that people do it. No, I don't condone it, but there are a lot of people out there who'll send cash to anyone.

if you sign empty box delivery company most of the companies find out from the weight of the item but 100% agree for the top seller people or direct from Amazon
redhot999

If you receive an item in the post of high value make sure you open it in … If you receive an item in the post of high value make sure you open it in front of the postman who can act as a witness. Actually better still get him to open it while you video it. I would rather buy a phone from eBay than Amazon as EBay descriptions are alot better with photos etc. Alot of Amazon sellers don't seem to understand what sim free and unlocked means. I once bought an old IPhone described as like new with no mention of it being locked to orange. It certainly wasn't like new as the screen was scratched and didn't even have an official charger. Amazon said the condition category used by seller is entirely up to them to work out!!! EBay imo is alot better IF you can find a trustworthy seller. I've bought 3 phones off eBay with no problem.

As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a customer in front of them. No way. Not a chance.

devices

As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a … As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a customer in front of them. No way. Not a chance.

Mine would if I asked him
Edited by: "redhot999" 25th Feb 2014
As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a customer in front of them. No way. Not a chance.[/quote]

LOL! ..Thats so funny and sounds true, postman has his/her busy round to do, and with so many issues these days with processes, you need to know someone really well, if you want them to not only open the parcel for you but you pointing a camera at them while they do it. This is turning out to be an interesting discussion
emmkay

As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a … As a postman there is not a chance in hell of me opening a parcel for a customer in front of them. No way. Not a chance.

LOL! ..Thats so funny and sounds true, postman has his/her busy round to do, and with so many issues these days with processes, you need to know someone really well, if you want them to not only open the parcel for you but you pointing a camera at them while they do it. This is turning out to be an interesting discussion [/quote]

My postman is really nice to me. He always stops for a chat and after 5 minutes or so I say to him don't you have some letters to deliver. It's amazing what a revealing top will do for good customer relations
Btw I got the idea of postman acting as a witness from a post on here last year. I thought that's a good idea I'll remember that. So it's not MY idea coz that's plagiarism ... I think.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants