Is it safe to travel to Cologne now?

Found 7th Jan 2016
We have flight booked for just over 1 weeks time and enlight of what has come out in the news I just wanted reassurance that it would be safe to travel to that exact location in Cologne.

From the airport we would be getting the train to the main station by the cathedral and going to some shops nearby. There would be 3 of us traveling there, 2 adults (1 male and 1 female) and a teenager.

We done a similar trip a few months ago and had a good day with no issues. That was the first time we traveled to that location and this would be the second.

I generally think it is fine however I just wanted reassurance.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskPerfume
11 Comments
Who knows?

If I was in your situation I would still go. I was over there in October for a long weekend and had a lovely time.

With any city in the world even the likes of London, Birmingham and Manchester you should always think ahead and just be sensible. I found Cologne very friendly and welcoming and will go back.

Edited by: "ipswich78" 7th Jan 2016
ipswich78

Who knows?If I was in your situation I would still go. I was over there … Who knows?If I was in your situation I would still go. I was over there in October for a long weekend and had a lovely time.With any city in the world even the likes of London, Birmingham and Manchester you should always think ahead and just be sensible. I found Cologne very friendly and welcoming and will go back.

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for someone to respond who has been there in the last week.

When we went several months ago for the first time we found it great, it reminded us of London to be honest. Most people were very friendly and helpful and we had no issues other than trying to figure out the trains but we we figured that out in the end.

My query was speically related to this to be honest: theguardian.com/wor…any

Edited by: "joshp" 7th Jan 2016
we were there in teh last week - on NYE in fact - was in that location at 8pm anmd saw the start of it - did not feel threatened at that time because we have been to Germany a few times at NYE so fireworks in teh street are normal

I woudl still go back!

the local police will be so much on guard now it will be safer than ever

and what the press do not tell you is teh square in front of teh train station is teh responsiblity of teh Federal Police not Local Police so there was a "gap" in policing that area.

I would feel less safe in cities like Naples but fine in Cologne

hth

EliTom
joshp

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for someone to respond who has been there in … Yeah, I guess I was hoping for someone to respond who has been there in the last week. When we went several months ago for the first time we found it great, it reminded us of London to be honest. Most people were very friendly and helpful and we had no issues other than trying to figure out the trains but we we figured that out in the end. My query was speically related to this to be honest: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/cologne-attacks-mayor-women-keep-men-arms-length-germany

I knew the reason you were asking... I thought Cologne was a lot nicer than London personally. The people were a lot friendlier.
ipswich78

I knew the reason you were asking... I thought Cologne was a lot nicer … I knew the reason you were asking... I thought Cologne was a lot nicer than London personally. The people were a lot friendlier.

I know I was just making it more clear.

I also agree that the people we spoke to were more friendly than London however the location still reminded us a little like London.

elitom

we were there in teh last week - on NYE in fact - was in that location at … we were there in teh last week - on NYE in fact - was in that location at 8pm anmd saw the start of it - did not feel threatened at that time because we have been to Germany a few times at NYE so fireworks in teh street are normalI woudl still go back!the local police will be so much on guard now it will be safer than everand what the press do not tell you is teh square in front of teh train station is teh responsiblity of teh Federal Police not Local Police so there was a "gap" in policing that area.I would feel less safe in cities like Naples but fine in ColognehthEliTom

Excellent, thanks for that information. That is a relief, I think we will definitely travel still.

Edited by: "joshp" 7th Jan 2016
joshp

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for someone to respond who has been there in … Yeah, I guess I was hoping for someone to respond who has been there in the last week. When we went several months ago for the first time we found it great, it reminded us of London to be honest. Most people were very friendly and helpful and we had no issues other than trying to figure out the trains but we we figured that out in the end. My query was speically related to this to be honest: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/cologne-attacks-mayor-women-keep-men-arms-length-germany

After the bolloking the police got for not sorting that disturbance on the day you can bet they will be out in force with guns moving on any groups of africans & asians within seconds & if they dont move then quickly arresting them.

Safe as can be I would of thought.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 7th Jan 2016
YouDontWantToKnow

After the bolloking the police got for not sorting that disturbance on … After the bolloking the police got for not sorting that disturbance on the day you can bet they will be out in force with guns moving on any groups of africans & asians within seconds & if they dont move then quickly arresting them.Safe as can be I would of thought.

Thanks for your response.
YouDontWantToKnow

After the bolloking the police got for not sorting that disturbance on … After the bolloking the police got for not sorting that disturbance on the day you can bet they will be out in force with guns moving on any groups of africans & asians within seconds & if they dont move then quickly arresting them.Safe as can be I would of thought.

it is very bad reporting by the media - the train station forecourt / sqaure is a very special situation for policing - I guess that is why the "suspects" choose it - along with teh fact that it is very central

The responsibility is not with teh local police - they have no jurastriction over that area

EliTom
no where is safe u just got to get on
You'll be fine, Just don't mention the war.!
shauneco

You'll be fine, Just don't mention the war.!

I think a lot of people have missed the joke...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions