Is it still safe to travel to Alicante Spain

Posted 13th Mar
Hi there just trying to work out is it still safe to travel to Alicante Spain,
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Unless you feel it's essential, why would you risk it? Spain's announcing a state of emergency. It could follow Italy and Denmark into lock down at any time, and you could be stuck there. Apart from selfish considerations, there's the very real risk of bringing it back and passing it on to someone vulnerable. Whose granny would you be willing to bump off?
aninginaneana13/03/2020 18:51

Whose granny would you be willing to bump off?

Whichever one has me as sole beneficiary in their will.
I’d say it’s not that safe to travel anywhere. Everything is at your own risk
20 Comments
Yeah I think its just Europe to US you can't do! I mean you travel at your own risk anyways obviously, but it's not been banned or anything like that as of yet.
I personally would get my money back or get alternative flights
Spain have implemented heavy travel restrictions and only allowing essential travel at the mo. Worth looking online
Hepybaby13/03/2020 18:27

Spain: all but essential travel to Madrid, La Rioja, regions of La Bastida …Spain: all but essential travel to Madrid, La Rioja, regions of La Bastida and Vitoria (in the Basque Country) and Miranda de EbroIs Alicante in this area ...

It's not in any of those areas.
Edited by: "IamMT" 13th Mar
Unless you feel it's essential, why would you risk it? Spain's announcing a state of emergency. It could follow Italy and Denmark into lock down at any time, and you could be stuck there. Apart from selfish considerations, there's the very real risk of bringing it back and passing it on to someone vulnerable. Whose granny would you be willing to bump off?
aninginaneana13/03/2020 18:51

Whose granny would you be willing to bump off?

Whichever one has me as sole beneficiary in their will.
It’s a very difficult question to answer. You have to weigh up a few things. I don’t know when you are planning on going but the situation across the various European countries is rapidly changing day by day. You have to weigh up several things. What would you do if you went out there and then got sick and had to go to hospital or be in isolation? What about if Spain declares a lockdown on movement? What if your flights get cancelled or the hotel you are in is forced to close? There are so many variables it’s a very difficult question to answer.
I’d say it’s not that safe to travel anywhere. Everything is at your own risk
We didn't get hit by an asteroid yet, I understand there's a lot of panic because of this unknown but I think we need to wake up out of it because we're getting out of hand at this point. Spain is in a state of emergency right now so everything will be closed for 2 weeks, not much fun. I'd stick to travelling within the UK for now, probably next month things will get back to normal in most places in Europe.
My elderly parents have been in Spain for couple of weeks. They’re unsure if they should try & come home now (if they can) or wait it out until the end of the month when they’re due to.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 13th Mar
I know which health care system I would rather be close to if I developed symptoms

Some people call it mass hysteria. Some call it care and consideration for those less able to tolerate it if you pass it to them. Some can see the point about developing herd immunity.

There's no doubting its serious. All that matters is that can look a dying person in the eye as they gasp for breaths their body needs but cant take and say to them from your heart that your holiday/trip was worthwhile then there is nothing to worry about.
My wife and i are going to seville in 2 weeks. We had booked to do a cathedral tour including the roof top. About an hour ago we received an e-mail to tell us that the cathedral is now closed until further notice, as other buildings will be too. Ive just read about panic buying in some shops ( not all ). The infection rate is increasing vastly. We dont know if we should cancel or not, but i think that they will stop all travel to spain very soon.
Hepybaby13/03/2020 18:27

Spain: all but essential travel to Madrid, La Rioja, regions of La Bastida …Spain: all but essential travel to Madrid, La Rioja, regions of La Bastida and Vitoria (in the Basque Country) and Miranda de EbroIs Alicante in this area ...

4 hour drive away
Spain will be probably ban flights .
In the region of Murcia (next to region of Valencia, which Alicante is in) The virus is prevalent with several deaths reported. The armed police are on the streets going round with loudhailers advising residents to keep off the streets and to stay inside. Anyone found on the streets after 6pm will be arrested.
It appears that those in the regions mentioned above have decided to wait out the virus at their summer homes along the Costa Blanca (where Alicante is). They’ve bought the infection with them and now the region is in lockdown. The schools are closed, tourist areas shut, churches closed etc. Everything is closed except petrol stations, health centres and supermarkets.
I think the decision to go will be taken out of your hands because very soon Spain will not be allowing air travel full stop.
I was due to fly out Tuesday but have decided not to go.
Easyjet are offering free transfers to alternative flights and destinations.
Check your travel insurance as well, I've just had this from mine (Insure & Go) :

On the 11th March 2020, the World Health Organisation upgraded the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak to a worldwide Pandemic.

Based on this, as of the 13th March 2020, we have classed Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as a “Known Event” in line with the policy terms conditions.

How does this impact me?

If you purchased your policy before the 13th March 2020:

- For any element of your trip booked before the 13th March 2020, any subsequent claim will be considered in line with the terms and conditions.

For any element of your trip booked after the 13th March 2020:

- We will not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Nor will we cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning this virus.
captainbeaky13/03/2020 19:39

My elderly parents have been in Spain for couple of weeks. They’re unsure i …My elderly parents have been in Spain for couple of weeks. They’re unsure if they should try & come home now (if they can) or wait it out until the end of the month when they’re due to.

I think they should try and come back now. You never know when they might stop all outward travel like Italy has done.
Jet 2 has cancelled all planes to Spain so in short at the moment in time not safe to travel
Think of the positives. You’ll have the beaches to yourselves.. well apart from the tramps. If I were to be a tramp I always thought I’d spend my last bit of money on a ticket to somewhere with a warmer climate 🎫
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants