Is it time to bring back the Death Penalty

After the Terrorist outrage in France surely it's time to reconsider the Death Penalty.

250 Comments

http://i.imgur.com/DoJ03UL.jpg

The death penalty only works against people who don't want to die, however, along of jihadi terrorist welcome death so the death penalty wouldn't work

zackariah

The death penalty only works against people who don't want to die, … The death penalty only works against people who don't want to die, however, along of jihadi terrorist welcome death so the death penalty wouldn't work

who cares if they welcome death ....put them down anyway ...out of sight out of mind I say !

Original Poster

zackariah

The death penalty only works against people who don't want to die, … The death penalty only works against people who don't want to die, however, along of jihadi terrorist welcome death so the death penalty wouldn't work

It would work though for the millions of people who would like to see skum like these at the end of a rope

Yes, the death penalty should be brought back. For any crime that deserves this sentence.

Also every police officer should now be armed, the world is changing. At least in the event of a Paris etc type attack UK police would stand a chance.

As for anyone that the people who feel otherwise, if you do not commit a crime or give suspicion of committing the police will have no reason to point a gun at you.

ed1980

Yes, the death penalty should be brought back. For any crime that … Yes, the death penalty should be brought back. For any crime that deserves this sentence.Also every police officer should now be armed, the world is changing. At least in the event of a Paris etc type attack UK police would stand a chance.As for anyone that the people who feel otherwise, if you do not commit a crime or give suspicion of committing the police will have no reason to point a gun at you.

I totally agree with you

I have always said no . There are still a lot of miscarriages of justice .

Banned

The death penalty should never have been repealed.
But, it should be used for all murders.
I recall that at one or more previous votes in Parliament, there were categories for the MPs to say yay or nay against, such as police officers and others.
IMO murder is murder regardless of the job title of the victim and all murderers should hang.

But hey, you know what system of government would allow for swift public executions that would not lead to a US style 20+ years on death-row scenario and which would save the tax payer loads of money? Yeah I bet you do.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

zackariah

Considering it costs over £30000 a year per prisoner I would say bring it back and save some money.

Villa

The death penalty should never have been repealed.But, it should be used … The death penalty should never have been repealed.But, it should be used for all murders.I recall that at one or more previous votes in Parliament, there were categories for the MPs to say yay or nay against, such as police officers and others.IMO murder is murder regardless of the job title of the victim and all murderers should hang.But hey, you know what system of government would allow for swift public executions that would not lead to a US style 20+ years on death-row scenario and which would save the tax payer loads of money? Yeah I bet you do.

I think it should only be used for cases where there is no doubt of the guilt.

thewongwing101

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

Gandhi was wrong

zackariah

Agree, if bringing back the death penalty is for terrorists only then they would love it. Because they are already brainwashed in thinking they will go to heaven/paradise for their 'good deeds in life'.

Banned

I think we are almost at a point where any crime could be classed as terrorism if the authorities or media so wish.

It won't act as a deterrant for terrorists because often the very nature of a terrorist attack is for the terrorist to die whilst carrying out the atrocity.

Hence, flying planes into buildings, suicide vest missions etc.

It wouldn't work for terrorists, They should be punished by other means.

If it is beyond reasonable doubt then death penalty should be considered in some cases but not all.

Banned

shauneco

It wouldn't work for terrorists, They should be punished by other … It wouldn't work for terrorists, They should be punished by other means.If it is beyond reasonable doubt then death penalty should be considered in some cases but not all.

So pray do tell what dual system of punishments we should have in place in order to cater for different categories of murderers; how should we fund such an excess?

Banned

shauneco

It wouldn't work for terrorists, They should be punished by other … It wouldn't work for terrorists, They should be punished by other means.If it is beyond reasonable doubt then death penalty should be considered in some cases but not all.

every single person convicted of a crime in the uk has been convicted 'beyond reasonable doubt'. Many convictions are wrong. How would you suggest we bring the people back to life who are found innocent at a later date?

In answer to the original question.

NO!

Villa

So pray do tell what dual system of punishments we should have in place … So pray do tell what dual system of punishments we should have in place in order to cater for different categories of murderers; how should we fund such an excess?

Individual case by case basis, One thing is for sure, They need to suffer more than the victims, If that means torture or other forms of abuse then fair play.
Edited by: "shauneco" 8th Jan 2015

Banned

Villa

IMO murder is murder regardless of the job title of the victim and all … IMO murder is murder regardless of the job title of the victim and all murderers should hang.

Completely disagree with that, there are many many different 'types' of murder.

Banned

davey369

every single person convicted of a crime in the uk has been convicted … every single person convicted of a crime in the uk has been convicted 'beyond reasonable doubt'. Many convictions are wrong. How would you suggest we bring the people back to life who are found innocent at a later date?

I dunno, but I vaguely remember that 80s tv show called Robin of Sherwood where Robin Hood dies at the end of one season and comes back to life as Sean Connery's son in the next season.

davey369

every single person convicted of a crime in the uk has been convicted … every single person convicted of a crime in the uk has been convicted 'beyond reasonable doubt'. Many convictions are wrong. How would you suggest we bring the people back to life who are found innocent at a later date?

Their can be no error, They have to be 100% sure or face the death penalty themselves etc.. I'm not saying all but their are some that commit the most atrocious crimes with no remorse.

Banned

shauneco

Individual case by case basis, One thing is for sure, They need to suffer … Individual case by case basis, One thing is for sure, They need to suffer more than the victims, If that means torture or other forms of abuse then fair play.

Ah well see in the civilised world we don't do that sort of thing (not officially anyway) so no chance of descending to the level of barbarity in other countries that we deplore.
Just hang all murderers.

davey369

Completely disagree with that, there are many many different 'types' of … Completely disagree with that, there are many many different 'types' of murder.

Agreed. Take that Ellie Goulding bird, she murdered Elton John's Your Song, but I don't think she deserves the death penalty.

Banned

davey369

Completely disagree with that, there are many many different 'types' of … Completely disagree with that, there are many many different 'types' of murder.

Does it make a difference? in every case someone dies. In every case the proven perpetrator needs to die too.

saves alot of time, money & effort if you can just put them down on the day...like this crank

Banned

Villa

Does it make a difference? in every case someone dies. In every case the … Does it make a difference? in every case someone dies. In every case the proven perpetrator needs to die too.

I think it does. If someones kids were being abused, as an example, and the father went and killed the person responsible, I don't think I would be comfortable with him getting the death penalty.

Banned

davey369

I think it does. If someones kids were being abused, as an example, and … I think it does. If someones kids were being abused, as an example, and the father went and killed the person responsible, I don't think I would be comfortable with him getting the death penalty.

I see your point, but the moment you start deviating or making exceptions then you are inviting all sorts of 'time-wasting inspired' appeals and possibly leading to a silly US style death row where the eventual conclusion could take twenty years and cost the tax payer millions.
I think the less complicated the better.
Murder someone? You die too.

Standi

I think it should only be used for cases where there is no doubt of the … I think it should only be used for cases where there is no doubt of the guilt.

Every conviction is "beyond reasonable doubt".

Banned

Villa

I see your point, but the moment you start deviating or making exceptions … I see your point, but the moment you start deviating or making exceptions then you are inviting all sorts of 'time-wasting inspired' appeals and possibly leading to a silly US style death row where the eventual conclusion could take twenty years and cost the tax payer millions.I think the less complicated the better.Murder someone? You die too.

so no mitigation, or appeals allowed?
Yeah that'll work.

Banned

davey369

so no mitigation, or appeals allowed? Yeah that'll work.

That is why I said 'time-wasting inspired' appeals - to differentiate the normal obligatory appeal from the type that are done just to keep the person from the noose for a while longer.

Just say No kids.

Banned

Villa

That is why I said 'time-wasting inspired' appeals - to differentiate the … That is why I said 'time-wasting inspired' appeals - to differentiate the normal obligatory appeal from the type that are done just to keep the person from the noose for a while longer.

and how would you tell the difference before an appeal is held?

Where there is unquestionable proof of murder then why should that person be allowed to live? If anything it will be a deterrent to some but not others.

As others have said some not all terrorists will give their life for their cause but not all and if the deterrent stops one potential murderer/terrorist then it's a good cause in my opinion.

The amount of prisoners serving life for murder costs millions to tax payers and these prisoners get education, food, housing, care, medical needs + more all for free - IMHO it's not a punishment just being locked up - there are millions of everyday lawful citizens around the world who spend most of their day in their home and cannot get the same free care.

Edited by: "philphil61" 8th Jan 2015

Better to celebrate the freedoms which others seek to destroy...

Charlie Hebdo plans 1million print run in show of defiance after Paris shootings

Banned

philphil61

Where there is unquestionable proof of murder then why should that person … Where there is unquestionable proof of murder then why should that person be allowed to live? If anything it will be a deterrent to some but not others.As others have said some not all terrorists will give their life for their cause but not all and if the deterrent stops one potential murderer/terrorist then it's a good cause in my opinion.The amount of prisoners serving life for murder costs millions to tax payers and these prisoners get education, food, housing, care, medical needs + more all for free - IMHO it's not a punishment just being locked up - there are millions of everyday lawful citizens around the world who spend most of their day in their home and cannot get the same free care.

so just scrap all jails for any time if its not a punishment?
How much do you think it costs for the death penalty, in America its actually more than jailing someone for life.

Villa

But hey, you know what system of government would allow for swift public … But hey, you know what system of government would allow for swift public executions that would not lead to a US style 20+ years on death-row scenario and which would save the tax payer loads of money? Yeah I bet you do.

And therein lies a paradox. For under the system of governance you suggest the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo would have been guilty of a crime punishable by death and therefore their killings would not be murder but rather sanctioned by the law of the land.

The universe is a big place, our place within the universe and time, why do our problems seem so big? in reality its all insignificant another billion years and the next civilization in the cosmos might get it right.

but if we do have to discuss the here and now, well wouldn't killing someone for their beliefs make us just as bad? what we need to do is lock them up with very little, a meager diet, no entertainment at all, let them see that their actions have led them to a life of fruitless boredom and let them take their own life's where they can go party with Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha. while the rest of us get on with it.

As would the killing of sodomites, adulteresses and apostates.

haritori

The universe is a big place, our place within the universe and time, why … The universe is a big place, our place within the universe and time, why do our problems seem so big? in reality its all insignificant another billion years and the next civilization in the cosmos might get it right.but if we do have to discuss the here and now, well wouldn't killing someone for their beliefs make us just as bad? what we need to do is lock them up with very little, a meager diet, no entertainment at all, let them see that their actions have led them to a life of fruitless boredom and let them take their own life's where they can go party with Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha. while the rest of us get on with it.

Who mentioned killing someone for their beliefs?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1848
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764048
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2023
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846099

See more discussions