Is it time to punish people who swear in public

Found 29th Jul 2016
am fed up with ppl using bad language, all the time
Community Updates
Misc
86 Comments
in b4 F**** off
was in Tesco tonight with my 8yr old nephew when a lad next to us was using the f bomb in every sentence, I told him to stop and he was like "whats your problem?"
O and not forgetting the mothers who are clearly just back from Swiss finishing school swearing at their kids in shopping centers up and down the land
Edited by: "miles136" 29th Jul 2016
Nothing positive can come from swearing but I must admit I do swear with friends in private. This doesn't make it right & I've tried stopping several times over the years. I think public or private it's a filthy habit I must eradicate it. May be then I can influence people close to me stop also. I've gotta start with myself.

I'm not gonna agree that swearing in private is harmless as that's a ludicrously naive mentality.
Saro

Nothing positive can come from swearing but I must admit I do swear with … Nothing positive can come from swearing but I must admit I do swear with friends in private. This doesn't make it right & I've tried stopping several times over the years. I think public or private it's a filthy habit I must eradicate it. May be then I can influence people close to me stop also. I've gotta start with myself.I'm not gonna agree that swearing in private is harmless as that's a ludicrously naive mentality.

I never swear in public, but never get a lift off me, in the car the air is blue
Saro

Nothing positive can come from swearing but I must admit I do swear with … Nothing positive can come from swearing but I must admit I do swear with friends in private. This doesn't make it right & I've tried stopping several times over the years. I think public or private it's a filthy habit I must eradicate it. May be then I can influence people close to me stop also. I've gotta start with myself.I'm not gonna agree that swearing in private is harmless as that's a ludicrously naive mentality.

Gordon Ramsey found plenty positive comes from swearing. So do many TV & movie stars.
miles136

was in Tesco tonight with my 8yr old nephew when a lad next to us was … was in Tesco tonight with my 8yr old nephew when a lad next to us was using the f bomb in every sentence, I told him to stop and he was like "whats your problem?"

What time were you in Tesco though? Was it after the 9pm watershed?
stuarthanley

Gordon Ramsey found plenty positive comes from swearing. So do many TV & … Gordon Ramsey found plenty positive comes from swearing. So do many TV & movie stars.

​We live in a shock value culture so filth sells. I guess if you think that's positive we'll have agree to disagree.
Everybody does it miles lets say if you drop something on your(blank) for instants
so no
the answer is to educated people
Edited by: "Wongy110" 29th Jul 2016
wtf?
By 8 he's probably heard it all before at school, my 3 year old is exposed to it in the playground. I'm wondering where you live Miles, this conversation has been going on for decades.
deleted265520
Go to Bristol. The C Bomb is almost not even a swear word anymore. Some people I know even use it as a term of endearment.
Forget terrorism and economic peril, this is the number one issue in society today. Allowing people to say what they want, even if it offends us a little bit, is disgustingly liberal and reeks of decadent western democracy.

Perhaps we need to look to the middle east for inspiration on this one, we could have a police force that specifically makes sure people aren't doing anything immoral, we could call them... say.. Sharia police? that's pretty catchy.

Totalitarianism, lets give it a chance.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 29th Jul 2016
when u see parent's swearing at there kids
Would be embarrassing to call someone out and find out they have Tourettes.
dtovey89

Go to Bristol. The C Bomb is almost not even a swear word anymore. Some … Go to Bristol. The C Bomb is almost not even a swear word anymore. Some people I know even use it as a term of endearment.

Is it Manchester where they use the other c word, 'y'all right c*ck?'
deleted265520
mattinhull

when u see parent's swearing at there kids :(:(

That does make me cringe.
deleted265520
airfix

No idea Jeff
airfix

yeah, that's a northern term of endearment...you a'right c*ck/c*cker abit weird when I first started to hear it. sitting in a office, hearing a colleague say over the phone to his mate 'you aright c*ck?' I was like wtf? X)
I swear a lot when I'm talking. But if I notice people or kids around me, I make sure not to swear or talk loud enough for them to hear.

a friend of mine doesn't pay much attention and swears when their about and she instantly gets her named called by me and told "watch it, there are kids about."

Which most of the time she isn't happy I pointed it out.

I wouldn't agree swearing should be punishable. Or I should be able to punish people who blow their smoke within 50 feet of me.
EN1GMA

yeah, that's a northern term of endearment...you a'right c*ck/c*cker … yeah, that's a northern term of endearment...you a'right c*ck/c*cker abit weird when I first started to hear it. sitting in a office, hearing a colleague say over the phone to his mate 'you aright c*ck?' I was like wtf? X)

To be honest I think it's from deek's early dating years, that's all what was on their minds when they first saw him
punishable? no. but there is something called good manners and general good behaviour in public that people should try to adhere to. Even now, I would not dare swear if my parents were there unless under exceptional circumstances. Its how I was brought up.
The odd swear word doesn't bother me in the slightest but people that spit everywhere and throw rubbish all over the street should be lined up and shot.
EN1GMA

yeah, that's a northern term of endearment...you a'right c*ck/c*cker … yeah, that's a northern term of endearment...you a'right c*ck/c*cker abit weird when I first started to hear it. sitting in a office, hearing a colleague say over the phone to his mate 'you aright c*ck?' I was like wtf? X)

Reminds me of the man caught smuggling Rolex watches through Leeds/Bradford in his underwear.
Border officials said he started acting suspicious when one of them asked 'have you got the time on y'cock?'
spaceinvader

Forget terrorism and economic peril, this is the number one issue in … Forget terrorism and economic peril, this is the number one issue in society today. Allowing people to say what they want, even if it offends us a little bit, is disgustingly liberal and reeks of decadent western democracy. Perhaps we need to look to the middle east for inspiration on this one, we could have a police force that specifically makes sure people aren't doing anything immoral, we could call them... say.. Sharia police? that's pretty catchy. Totalitarianism, lets give it a chance.

Mm I think this is a slight over reaction
I've got a foul mouth as well, developed it in primary school courtesy of overhearing the older "cool" kids and since then it has become a terrible habit.

It's something I try to control or avoid, but by jove it's difficult. I do manage to contain my language around kids (mostly) though...
Of all the issues in the world and in my life, swearing doesn't hit my radar of concern.

When used appropriately swearing can be an art form, Romanians in particular are talented at this and combine, profanity, and insults against mothers, Gods, combined with assorted sexual filth to produce some very good insults.

I'm more offended by foreign languages tbh, They could be saying anything.
shauneco

I'm more offended by foreign languages tbh, They could be saying anything.

Agreed, we should lock up all foreigners (and any Jews for good measure). Simply punishing the swearers inst enough..
Edit- Oh and the gypsies, we all know they can't be trusted...
Edited by: "Deaa" 29th Jul 2016
Deaa

Agreed, we should lock up all foreigners (and any Jews for good measure). … Agreed, we should lock up all foreigners (and any Jews for good measure). Simply punishing the swearers inst enough..

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/949/379/a53.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/409526/slide_409526_5143144_free.jpg
I'm not going to lie, I swear often and dont give a ****.
I hardly ever swear but when I do , it counts.
miles136

was in Tesco tonight with my 8yr old nephew when a lad next to us was … was in Tesco tonight with my 8yr old nephew when a lad next to us was using the f bomb in every sentence, I told him to stop and he was like "whats your problem?"

So he didn't use it in that sentence?
People already actually can be, and occasionally are, punished for swearing in public under existing Public Order laws.
Swearing in public is already an offence covered by Public Order offences as dxx quite rightly says in post #35

dxx

People already actually can be, and occasionally are, punished for … People already actually can be, and occasionally are, punished for swearing in public under existing Public Order laws.

YouDontWantToKnow

Swearing in public is already an offence covered by Public Order offences … Swearing in public is already an offence covered by Public Order offences as dxx quite rightly says in post #35

So just another case of the law being an **** then ? (_;)
stuarthanley

Gordon Ramsey found plenty positive comes from swearing. So do many TV & … Gordon Ramsey found plenty positive comes from swearing. So do many TV & movie stars.

No horrible horrible man
if anybody should be punished ....,.
thewongwing101

No horrible horrible manif anybody should be punished ....,.

He may well be horrible but nobody can deny that he hasn't made a lot of money through his constant swearing, therefore creating a positive for himself.
stuarthanley

He may well be horrible but nobody can deny that he hasn't made a lot of … He may well be horrible but nobody can deny that he hasn't made a lot of money through his constant swearing, therefore creating a positive for himself.

See comment 9#
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants