Expired

Is it worth buying 3 years old 3D TV Panasonic viera tx-p50vt20 for £350?

Found 15th Jul 2013
I would like to get 3D TV for watching movie. It's very expensive to buy new one.

There is a second hand one in good condition TV Panasonic viera tx-p50vt20 50" 3D full HD, plasma I think. It was expensive when it's launched a few years ago. The person used it for about 2 years and a half. I am not sure if it's still worth buying it now for £350? Is it too expensive?

Or I would better buy new 3D passive one LED but smaller size e.g. 40" instead?

I have no idea if it is worth to buy this used TV one. Can anyone please give me some advice on buying this Panasonic TV. Thank you so much.
Community Updates
AskPanasonic
9 Comments
First i have its little brother the 42 inch version it is an amazing picture etc for £350 seems a very good price for 2nd hand but have you read any reviews first
reviews.cnet.com/fla…tml
Any other questions ask below
Thank you so much. I think the one I am buyer is Panasonic viera tx-p50vt20. Different one from above i guess? (Tx not tc)

I have read the reviews and most people got problem with refresh rate of about 50Hz. I am quite tempted to buy at £350 but I dont know if its still worth the money or better buy newer verwion one but smaller screen size like toshiba 40" one at about similar price. So you think its still a good price althought its 3 years ago model? And its plasma as well. Not LED
Seems expensive for a second hand set.
The Therapist

Seems expensive for a second hand set.

It was over £1000 2 years ago. That's why I am hesitated to buy cause I am not sure if it's worth £350. But 2 years ago it was very expensive.
Hi do really want a 50" TV how big is your living room? I would stay clear of 2nd had 3 year old tv personally as tech has come on so much over last few years worth having a look at richer sounds or ebay you get some good shops who get ex-display or return's.
ask yourself if you're willing to take a risk on it breaking down in a month
csiman

ask yourself if you're willing to take a risk on it breaking down in a … ask yourself if you're willing to take a risk on it breaking down in a month

It is definitely worth considering this factor and not sure why it was voted -1. I've cancelled it though!
The Therapist

It is definitely worth considering this factor and not sure why it was … It is definitely worth considering this factor and not sure why it was voted -1. I've cancelled it though!

a lot of children seem to be down marking me all the time

quite amusing really

even more so when the mods notice and ban them
Panasonic are pretty good when it comes to hardware in their TV sets. However, you have to realise a few things. Firstly, the electronics in a plasma TV work really hard all the time. Early plasma sets were passively cooled and a lot of the time the components used are underrated for the temperature they'd be running at. The result is, early 50" plasma sets tend to die after several years use. It's mainly the buffers and substain boards that die and you're looking at between £40-120 per board, but of course you'll have the same problem again later on if you get 'used' spares off ebay.
Other then that, there is problems with burn in, if it's not been properly looked after when new, and the plasma gas in the screen can make the picture less vibrant over time.

Still, if it lasts another 2 years, I think it's a great price for a 50" just get saving and don't expect it to last forever... by the time it does/if it die, you'll probably be able to pickup a good quality LED TV.

Now as for panasonic's TV sets, if you want to make use of the viera connect, be aware that while they are backwards compatible, newer stuff won't allow all the features to work, but at the very least if you're connecting a panasonic bluray system up to it, you should be able to use the basic features and have everything pass through on the screen without all the channel changing/remote tossing etc. Probably some of the best interconnect technology in TVs THB, but with smart tv's things are changing and who knows if it'll be like that in a few years.
Edited by: "Si__" 16th Jul 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions