Groups

Is it worth buying a HD-DVD player??

I know some fanboys *looks at t0mm* will say NO and buy a ps3 for blu-ray instead but i might buy the xbox 360 hd-dvd player just because i can get it for £34 from game and it will upscales dvds and also there are some releases yet to be released on hd-dvd such as i am legend and cloverfield etc and there is already the bourne trilogy on hd-dvd.

At the end of the day i want to watch some dvds in better quality and for £34 you cant go wrong.

So, comments please!!!

11 Comments

i personally wouldn't... since in the future no releases will support it.
    I do understand the upscaling feature, but xbox 360 doesn't have hdmi output, so what good will that be?
    anyways, i'd put that £40 in a piggy bank and buy a blueray standalone or blueray external drive once msoft releases it

Original Poster

xbox 360 does have hdmi output and that means i cant watch my fav bourne movies

You could use it for normal dvd's also, would save any strain on your 360 dvd drive.

You can get a philips upscaling standalone dvd player with an hdmi out that will also play divx via usb or dvd-r for the same price- and it'll most likely keep a decent resale value because DVDs will be with us for much longer than DVD-HDs are.

HEYYYY
    I HAVE PS3 + 360 and am getting a hd-dvd player tomorroW!!! TAKE THAT BACK BISH!

Buy one - in years to come they will be worth a fortune - for people who have a bunch of HD-DVD movies - there will be no players around by then - so a working (boxed, new) HD-DVD player will be a collectors item.

Yes, for the upscaling.

hashman;1646265

i but xbox 360 doesn't have hdmi output

yes it does :?

Not sure of the answer for anyone else, but for me personally I don't see it as being worth it - thus I am glad I waited to see which format won the war instead of buying it.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for a Blu-Ray drive

hammerick;1646446

Buy one - in years to come they will be worth a fortune - for people who … Buy one - in years to come they will be worth a fortune - for people who have a bunch of HD-DVD movies - there will be no players around by then - so a working (boxed, new) HD-DVD player will be a collectors item.

dunno bout that, search for videodisc, laserdisc, minidisc, dcc, 8 track etc etc on ebay- all sell for pence rather than pounds.
    Beta is the only one that sells for decent cash s/h, but that had commercial uses and a longer original sales period, plus there was little on the market back then- look at it this way, who'd want a VCD player now? There are a bunch of beta films not available on DVD (esp pre cert ones!) which help to keep the price high for both players and tapes, but everything on HD-DVD will surely get released on blu-ray before too long now. Plus give it two years and Blu-Rays will be a fiver each, as DVDs are now.
    So if the 360 had HD-DVD built in as standard, do people think the outcome here would've been different?

Play are selling the HD-EP30 for £49.99 with 2 HD DVDs.

There are around 500 HD-DVD titles, many of them now CHEAPER than the standard DVD versions.

The upscaling on a player that was £200 when released is obviously better than Tesco's cheapo brand upscaler for £29.99

It's worth buying an HD-DVD player just for the 1080p upscaling, let alone the HD DVD title bargains.

I've bought the player and 30 HD-DVDs for under £200!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?811
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…11
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831126

See more discussions