Is it worth buying a second hand Dyson DC07 Origin?

Found 2nd Jun 2015
My wife is on at me to upgrade our old vacuum and I have seen someone selling a Dyson DC07 Origin on ebay locally for £20. They have said that the main brush bar is not picking up very well. Anyone have this model and experienced similar and fixed?
Im pretty hands on at fixing stuff and I am sure I could get it working if it is nothing too serious.
Can someone also comment if this model is a reliable model generally?
Thanks in advance for any comments

1. Ask
  2. Dyson
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Dyson
10 Comments

I would recommend the dc05

If you own a dyson (wether you bought it new or second hand), you can get dyson out to service and repair it for around £90 - a single call out fee and they will repair anything. I basically had mine rebuilt by them a few years ago, so don't be put off if it's used in the same way you would another brand

I bought a DC14 the other week for £27 collected, so your price is line with the fact that the DC07 is even older than that. However it not working properly at the moment would make buying it a no no in my opinion.

I found mine by setting up a search for Dyson, under £40, within 5miles of my own postcode and then clicking the green follow and email me new items link at the top. Ebay then emailed me every day cheap auctions and buy it now offers that I would be able to go and collect in person.

When you go an collect the Dyson make sure it makes no strange wining noises (dodgy motor), sucks properly and doesn't produce any funny smells after running for 3-4min running.

Dyson parts are widely available and the modular design makes them very easy to repair. However you do have to factor the costs of possible replacement parts into your equation, which "may" make the £20 purchase price not as good as it would appear at first.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 2nd Jun 2015

Buy it, all it should need is a new brush bar and roller for around £20 from eBay, worst case scenario is a new motor as well again for around £20, I changed both these parts on my dc07 in about an hour all in and it's now working just as it did when new.

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog

Buy it, all it should need is a new brush bar and roller for around £20 … Buy it, all it should need is a new brush bar and roller for around £20 from eBay, worst case scenario is a new motor as well again for around £20, I changed both these parts on my dc07 in about an hour all in and it's now working just as it did when new.

thats the vote of confidence i needed! I am usually pretty good at fixing most bits and bobs so i think i will go for it, cheers!

ratsdomino

thats the vote of confidence i needed! I am usually pretty good at fixing … thats the vote of confidence i needed! I am usually pretty good at fixing most bits and bobs so i think i will go for it, cheers!

I'm the same, i quite like the challenge of fixing things, there's plenty of videos on you tube if you get stuck, like i say try the brush bar first, if it's working ok on the hose attachment it can only really be the brush bar.

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog

I'm the same, i quite like the challenge of fixing things, there's plenty … I'm the same, i quite like the challenge of fixing things, there's plenty of videos on you tube if you get stuck, like i say try the brush bar first, if it's working ok on the hose attachment it can only really be the brush bar.

i won the dyson (£26.50) and got it home. when i turned it up on itself the little hose joining the brush bar to the unit popped off and it was blocked. it took me literally 10 seconds to empty in the bin, and then I reattached and it is as good as new!

wife is made up!

well done!

Yes well done, and remember if you do have any problems in the future they're easy to work on and non genuine spares are really cheap, glad it all worked out ok for you. :-)

ktm666

If you own a dyson (wether you bought it new or second hand), you can get … If you own a dyson (wether you bought it new or second hand), you can get dyson out to service and repair it for around £90 - a single call out fee and they will repair anything. I basically had mine rebuilt by them a few years ago, so don't be put off if it's used in the same way you would another brand

My mum rang about hers yesterday as she thinks the motor gone. They said they don't repair her model anymore so she's bought a new one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants