Is it worth buying the Apple 18W USB-C power adapter?

Posted 7th Apr
Just wondering if anyone has purchased it for an iPhone 11 and if the £29 is justifiable? How much quicker does it charge your phone than the normal plug? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
Yeah it charges much quicker, you can probably do 60% in an hour
Anybody know how much faster it deteriorates the battery longevity?
Don’t forget you need a usb c to lightning cable too which is another £20!
mds125607/04/2020 21:44

I’ve already got that, the lightning cables come with the iPhone 11 but not the 18W power adapter, that only comes with the 11 Pro/Pro Max.
AndyRoyd07/04/2020 21:39

I wasn’t aware this was a thing?
ChelseaRae07/04/2020 21:46

That’s why there’s the ‘Battery Health’ thing in the settings now. Apple admitted that the battery does get worse over time, sometimes via charging habits.
Pecoleye07/04/2020 21:53

That’s why there’s the ‘Battery Health’ thing in the settings now. Apple ad …That’s why there’s the ‘Battery Health’ thing in the settings now. Apple admitted that the battery does get worse over time, sometimes via charging habits.

Surely it wasn't a secret that smartphone batteries get worse over time?
happyshopper207/04/2020 22:02

Surely it wasn't a secret that smartphone batteries get worse over time? …Surely it wasn't a secret that smartphone batteries get worse over time?

Everybody knew it but Apple were very careful not to admit responsibility for it. I think it was maybe linked to the new software updates deliberately slowing the batteries in older phones too, thus forcing people to upgrade. Cheeky devils!
Pecoleye07/04/2020 21:53

That’s why there’s the ‘Battery Health’ thing in the settings now. Apple ad …That’s why there’s the ‘Battery Health’ thing in the settings now. Apple admitted that the battery does get worse over time, sometimes via charging habits.

I know that already but you implied that using the 18W charger would deteriorate the battery faster.

Generally, the faster you charge a battery, the more it decreases the battery's useful life.
Was looking for an indication if a fast-charger would reduce typical useable battery lifetime from, say, 3 years to 2.5 years, or 2.0 years, etc, compared to standard charger.
You could probably throw some positive spin on the concept and say that the standard life expectancy with a fast charger is, say, 2.5 years, but that simply implies the life expectancy with a standard charger may be 3.5 years.
The concept won't bother most first-user buyers as the item will likely be sold-on significantly prior to the battery nearing any accelerated end of life, so the issue is arguably only relevant to the resale market and subsequent resale market.
It’s much quicker, however it won’t work with just the charger, you need to buy a lightning to USB C cable as well for it to work. All in all about £40, depends how much you value the faster charging. The battery life on the phone is fantastic though. The slow charger doesn’t pose much of an issue considering the battery is so good, I generally don’t need to plug it in until midway through the second day
AndyRoyd07/04/2020 22:06

Generally, the faster you charge a battery, the more it decreases the …Generally, the faster you charge a battery, the more it decreases the battery's useful life.Was looking for an indication if a fast-charger would reduce typical useable battery lifetime from, say, 3 years to 2.5 years, or 2.0 years, etc, compared to standard charger.You could probably throw some positive spin on the concept and say that the standard life expectancy with a fast charger is, say, 2.5 years, but that simply implies the life expectancy with a standard charger may be 3.5 years.The concept won't bother most first-user buyers as the item will likely be sold-on significantly prior to the battery nearing any accelerated end of life, so the issue is arguably only relevant to the resale market and subsequent resale market.

Ah interesting, I actually didn’t know that but tbh I only plan on having the phone 12-24 months and as you say had it new, will then more than likely give it to my son or sell on so not too worried. That being said I’ve had the phone since release and my battery health is already 96%, my charging habits are admittedly poor though.
mds125607/04/2020 21:44

I stand corrected, just realised what you mean it’s the USB C cable not standard USB, my apologies!
inywg8sw6p07/04/2020 22:05

It’s much quicker, however it won’t work with just the charger, you need to …It’s much quicker, however it won’t work with just the charger, you need to buy a lightning to USB C cable as well for it to work. All in all about £40, depends how much you value the faster charging. The battery life on the phone is fantastic though. The slow charger doesn’t pose much of an issue considering the battery is so good, I generally don’t need to plug it in until midway through the second day

Just caught on it’s a different USB cable too, not sure I can justify it in that case as I may only keep the phone until the next iPhone release and hopefully by then they convert all chargers/cables (wishful thinking maybe!) but as you say the battery life is generally good.
100% worth it by a miles head. I have a anker GaN 60w plug which I use for multiple devices including iPad Pro and iphone 11. I have an anker powerline 3 cable USB-C to lighting cable and it charges it very efficient 0-50% in 30 minutes. also it doesn’t hurt the battery much at all 18w isn’t regarded as fast compared to android which is now hitting 60w fast charging.
AndyRoyd07/04/2020 21:39

Not much if any. 18w is slow, I mean android 2020 flagships are 60w fast charging
Justsuperman07/04/2020 22:54

100% worth it by a miles head. I have a anker GaN 60w plug which I use for …100% worth it by a miles head. I have a anker GaN 60w plug which I use for multiple devices including iPad Pro and iphone 11. I have an anker powerline 3 cable USB-C to lighting cable and it charges it very efficient 0-50% in 30 minutes. also it doesn’t hurt the battery much at all 18w isn’t regarded as fast compared to android which is now hitting 60w fast charging.

I’ll look into alternatives then perhaps, thanks
People need to remember that it’s ‘heat’ that damages the battery over time not how fast it charges that’s complete nonsense. the only reason people put 2 and 2 together is fast charging normally creates ‘heat’ but many phone manufacturers now are combating this with certain techniques and with ‘GaN’ chargers now coming on the market which is far more efficient, much less heat, less energy wasted.
Edited by: "Justsuperman" 7th Apr
ChelseaRae07/04/2020 22:58

I’ll look into alternatives then perhaps, thanks

It’s worth it. Apples 5w plug and cable are a joke in 2020 it was a joke in 2018. I do love my iphone 11 but Apple are in many ways behind the times.
Justsuperman07/04/2020 23:05

It’s worth it. Apples 5w plug and cable are a joke in 2020 it was a joke i …It’s worth it. Apples 5w plug and cable are a joke in 2020 it was a joke in 2018. I do love my iphone 11 but Apple are in many ways behind the times.

Yeah it’s quite frustrating and in the car I’ve noticed the phone barely charges, having it on charge just keeps it near enough the same battery % if it’s being used for sat nav, music etc.
Pecoleye07/04/2020 22:04

Everybody knew it but Apple were very careful not to admit responsibility …Everybody knew it but Apple were very careful not to admit responsibility for it. I think it was maybe linked to the new software updates deliberately slowing the batteries in older phones too, thus forcing people to upgrade. Cheeky devils!

It was never a secret that batteries don't last forever. All Apple did was make a change so the phone ran slowly instead of crashing and people didn't like that, so you can now turn it off and have the phone crash due to the power drain instead of just slowing down.

I’ve already got that, the lightning cables come with the iPhone 11 but n …I’ve already got that, the lightning cables come with the iPhone 11 but not the 18W power adapter, that only comes with the 11 Pro/Pro Max.

Only comes with 11 Pro models.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions