Is it worth getting an ex-show model car?

Found 18th May
Trying to get a good deal on a new/ new-ish car.
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenCar
14 Comments
Low milage , hardly used , always kept clean? No why would you get an ex display car
By show model do you mean sat in a showroom or a demonstrator
Had a couple of ex demonstrator cars in the past, great thing is usually they are extremely well specced (or specced much better than the average punter would), the only downside for me was a couple of mates moaning that the would die and throw expensive bills in my direction at any moment, due to it being used for numerous test drives.

Boringly both were very reliable, and the only work needed was normal consumables. So in hindsight well worth buying, healthy discount for a nearly new car.
Dealers don't let people drive like idiots on test drives so I would not worry about it. They only keep them for a few thousand miles anyway.
What does it matter where you buy it from? What certainty do you have as to how it has been driven? Would you believe anyone who told you how a car had been treated? Everyone omits bad truths about car condition and claims satisfaction.

Try Motorpoint and have choice (I speak as a repeat very satisfied customer). You won't have to worry about haggling.

Choose a car with a decently long warranty to offset the concern.
Edited by: "ccnp" 18th May
I would guess that most cars would be fine but if it's a sports car people are going to want to test it a bit so it's not likely to have an easy life.
qwales29 m ago

I would guess that most cars would be fine but if it's a sports car people …I would guess that most cars would be fine but if it's a sports car people are going to want to test it a bit so it's not likely to have an easy life.

As opposed to the exact same sports car which has been bought and driven by the kind of person who would buy a sports car?
ccnp45 m ago

What does it matter where you buy it from? What certainty do you have as …What does it matter where you buy it from? What certainty do you have as to how it has been driven? Would you believe anyone who told you how a car had been treated? Everyone omits bad truths about car condition and claims satisfaction. Try Motorpoint and have choice (I speak as a repeat very satisfied customer). You won't have to worry about haggling.Choose a car with a decently long warranty to offset the concern.

Agree with this just bought a new car from them as well, direct from manufacture and £2500+ less than the same car at a dealer. You have no idea how anyone drives when you buy a car and even ex rentals can be good cars, of course they will have had more drivers than others but tend to be low mileage and because of hefty excesses people have to take car with them.
MIDURIX31 m ago

As opposed to the exact same sports car which has been bought and driven …As opposed to the exact same sports car which has been bought and driven by the kind of person who would buy a sports car?

You won't typically find people who have paid for a new sports car thrashing the pants of them on a regular basis, maybe in Dubai. You certainly give the test car a bit of a pasting if left to your own devices though
Get a quote from somewhere like carwow to get a true idea of new car price to compare with. List prices are often inflated.

Last year when i was looking for a car, after shopping around I got a quote on a new car which was marginally cheaper than an ex-demo from local dealer. I had to travel about 100 miles to collect, but I don't mind that.
Couple of years ago I bought an ex-showroom Ford Kuga from my local main dealer. Got a really hefty discount on it. I think it’s better than one that they have to order because you can inspect it and try it beforehand rather than getting one that may have sat in a field somewhere formonths and made on POETS day. Depending on overall price I would go for it.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 18th May
Toptrumpet1 h, 3 m ago

Couple of years ago I bought an ex-showroom Ford Kuga from my local main …Couple of years ago I bought an ex-showroom Ford Kuga from my local main dealer. Got a really hefty discount on it. I think it’s better than one that they have to order because you can inspect it and try it beforehand rather than getting one that may have sat in a field somewhere formonths and made on POETS day. Depending on overall price I would go for it.

what was the discount like?
Demonstrators are also frequently the Sales persons daily driver. The demo mileage is not just attended test drive mileage.
In these cases it certainly could be ragged depending on the car. I nearly lost my demonstrator on wet round about. RWD, mid engined 2 seaters are fun
mohsin031045 m ago

what was the discount like?

From memory I think it was about 12% off the best price I could negotiate off a brand new one that had to be ordered. It depends on which car it is as obviously different cars have different margins
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants