Is it worth spending £20k on a car?

Found 18th Sep 2017
I am planning to buy a used Audi A3 but not sure if it's money well spent because the car cost around £20k anyone spent around that price on a car? How is it now compare when you first bought it? What is the price now?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
IMO, complete ficticious figures and workings out and obvcourse cars can go bad, but same goes for any car

If you was to buy a 5,000£ car, and every 4 years sell it, you would probs looking at selling for around £2,000 (maybe less, maybe more)

So let's say you buy a 5K car every 4 years, 4 times, totalling 16 Years, 20,000£ spend on cars and 8,000£ Recovered from sales, equally total cost of 12,000£ its cost over 16 years for the car, If you was to buy the AUDI A3 for £20,000, do you think a 16 year Audi will fetch you 8,000£ back to equal the same cost as getting new car every 4 years? (highly doubt it probs 2,000£ on a 16 year audi)

Obvcourse there is pro's and con's to both ill list a few

Pro's for going for audi
Bling Bling car, drives amazing for first 8 years and premium
Solid build should last long time

Pro's for going new car every 4 years
we all like getting new things?
life changes, and demands on what type of vehicle can be changed (town runner, motorways?, bigger boot (kids)
New technology

obvcourse everything I put is assuming you'd keep it for the long time, my opinion would be to weigh up how long you will keep the car for then research to see how much you'd get back after x time, then weigh up the pro's and con's to both
first of all what audi a3 are you planning to buy for 20k? brand new 1.6TDI is 21k or 17k for 1.0TFSI
Creatishh18th Sep 2017

IMO, complete ficticious figures and workings out and obvcourse cars can …IMO, complete ficticious figures and workings out and obvcourse cars can go bad, but same goes for any car If you was to buy a 5,000£ car, and every 4 years sell it, you would probs looking at selling for around £2,000 (maybe less, maybe more) So let's say you buy a 5K car every 4 years, 4 times, totalling 16 Years, 20,000£ spend on cars and 8,000£ Recovered from sales, equally total cost of 12,000£ its cost over 16 years for the car, If you was to buy the AUDI A3 for £20,000, do you think a 16 year Audi will fetch you 8,000£ back to equal the same cost as getting new car every 4 years? (highly doubt it probs 2,000£ on a 16 year audi)Obvcourse there is pro's and con's to both ill list a fewPro's for going for audiBling Bling car, drives amazing for first 8 years and premiumSolid build should last long timePro's for going new car every 4 yearswe all like getting new things?life changes, and demands on what type of vehicle can be changed (town runner, motorways?, bigger boot (kids)New technologyobvcourse everything I put is assuming you'd keep it for the long time, my opinion would be to weigh up how long you will keep the car for then research to see how much you'd get back after x time, then weigh up the pro's and con's to both

Wtf is 'obvcourse'?
craigstephens5 m ago

Wtf is 'obvcourse'?

Obviously/of course?
mattsk1 h, 15 m ago

first of all what audi a3 are you planning to buy for 20k? brand new …first of all what audi a3 are you planning to buy for 20k? brand new 1.6TDI is 21k or 17k for 1.0TFSI

2.0 sportsback used
If you have the money it's down to your judgement of value.

If you need to borrow the money then it's a less favourable deal as there are many options available for less.

I bought my car new 12.5 years ago and estimate it has depreciated at approximely £107/month. Have had to maintain it of course but nothing major has failed. Similar with my wifes car - 11 years old, £85/month! The longer we are able to keep them the cheaper the overall depreciation. First time either need a major repair I will be looking for something nearly new to keep again for 10+ years!

Of course it looks nice have a new car on the drive rather than a banger - but I'd rather have the £'s in my pocket!
Edited by: "Van1973" 18th Sep 2017
We spent 40k on a new car -it's a 63 plate and I don't worry about how much it is worth. I love driving it as much today as when I drove it out of the showroom. We will have it until it dies, like the one we bought in 2005.

Its its up to you and depends on your circumstances.
if you can afford it and you want it, then buy it. whether something is value for money is very personal and subjective. it is whether you think it is value for you to spend that amount of money on a car, not other people's opinion.
Don't be a badge snob, I've just bought a GT MK7 Golf for £13,800 from VW Dealer with 16,000 miles on the clock. It's the same car as the A3 and some of the GT and up specs are really nice.

Admittedly I could have gone Seat Leon but the interior is just so boring. I did consider Skoda, but it was actually difficult finding one.
EndlessWaves15 m ago

That seems rather expensive unless it's got lots of options, they're not …That seems rather expensive unless it's got lots of options, they're not much more than that price new:https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/search/New/Audi/A3/shape-Hatchback/?engine=2.0&s=PriceAsc

It sure is! Perhaps Dealer miles and S-Line?
Edited by: "hairray" 18th Sep 2017
If spending 20k I'd say go for a golf gtd gte or even gti
As assuming your paid off your mortgage, no debts and have a rainy day fund then it's going to be a case of how much is it worth to you.
Personally if I was in that position I'd drop £5k on a car then have a dozen or so damn good holidays with the rest.
mattsk7 h, 7 m ago

not sure about the spec but you are most likely being ripped off …not sure about the spec but you are most likely being ripped off http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/Buy/New_Car.jsp?selectedManufacturer=AUDI&selectedModel=A3+DIESEL+SPORTBACK&selectedVariant=2.0+TDI+SE+5dr

I prefer S Line 5DR and 2.0 I don't think I'm getting ripped off correct me if I'm wrong though. Also I'm looking to buy 2016 plate or new facelift
Bigfootpete7 m ago

A3 for £20k? Why not get an RS3 for less than £18k? h …A3 for £20k? Why not get an RS3 for less than £18k? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604193137212?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1501&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=22500&model=RS3&postcode=gu215bh&sort=sponsored&page=1&bcsi_scan_fbb8740d6e27212d=OVJkbXagg32G8ObnsPTpn5wLVfkeAAAApmNxEQ==

Probably because that's a five year old car with 87000 miles on the clock and looks shite, the wheels look like something a five year old would draw, and is not what the op was asking about.
Sophia19934 h, 54 m ago

I prefer S Line 5DR and 2.0 I don't think I'm getting ripped off correct …I prefer S Line 5DR and 2.0 I don't think I'm getting ripped off correct me if I'm wrong though. Also I'm looking to buy 2016 plate or new facelift

check the webpage ive quoted. there is to many different specs there. but basic 2.0 s line is just over 23k brand new and that is not a final price (probably could go bit lower). so for a used 1 year old car 15% drop in price is a bit low for my liking
Dyslexic_Dog54 m ago

Probably because that's a five year old car with 87000 miles on the clock …Probably because that's a five year old car with 87000 miles on the clock and looks shite, the wheels look like something a five year old would draw, and is not what the op was asking about.

There's no need to attack me for trying to be helpful geeez!

The Op asked about spending a certain amount on an A3,I'm giving them an alternative, I'll take a slightly older RS3 over a new A3 any day of the week, and 87k is hardly a lot of miles.
Bigfootpete8 h, 29 m ago

There's no need to attack me for trying to be helpful geeez!The Op asked …There's no need to attack me for trying to be helpful geeez!The Op asked about spending a certain amount on an A3,I'm giving them an alternative, I'll take a slightly older RS3 over a new A3 any day of the week, and 87k is hardly a lot of miles.

I can see what Bigfoots saying.
The problem with buying a car like this is the main attraction is its new, its cool and it has an Audi badge, they aren't particularly good looking, not particularly fast, not particularly particularly and not particularly fun to drive. An A3 is likely going to be something you'll find boring within a couple of years, (look at one from 2012-2013 and its probably not very appealing to you) and you'll be wanting a nice new one again. It's 6 months of loving it, 3 months of its OK then 2 years of hating it until you can swap it without being in negative equity!
I'd suggest finding something you truly want, that you'll enjoy and will probably save you a fortune even taking repair bills in. Maybe an older Range Rover, a Jag, the VW Beetle you always wanted growing up. Whatever it is, just something your picking because its something you really want. Its much more fun than owning something boring just because its 'new'
[quote]I'd suggest finding something you truly want, that you'll enjoy and will probably save you a fortune even taking repair bills in. Maybe an older Range Rover, a Jag, [/quote]

They will cost you a fortune - probably the two worst premium cars for reliability.

Personally I couldnt justify £20K on a bland generic hatch.
Tell us more about what you need the car for and you might get suggestions for alternatives. I think you lose about £1K/year on an older premium car (say between £5K and £8K merc/bmw).
If you really want a new/nearly new car that you'll keep for 2 or 3 years then you really should look at lease/pcp deals, where you are in effect just paying depreciation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants