Is it worth spending £20k on a car?

Found 14th Nov 2017
I’m planning to buy a Mercedes A180d but not sure yet. In 10 years time how much would the car sell for? How do you work out the deprivation? Appreciate the help
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Please say that's a predictive text error!
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 14th Nov 2017
Chances are diesel cars will be heavily taxed or obsolete by then that will have a great affect on its value. Don't forget its a Renault engine in it. A rough estimate for value at 10 years old presuming average mileage and condition would be around £2000.
Edited by: "Wadda" 14th Nov 2017
Have you paid off your mortgage and any debts?
If not a pretty massive sum to pay for something which will do the same job a car for the fraction of the price can do.
OneGloveOnTheFence36 m ago

Please say that's a predictive text error!

Please say it's not...
Original Poster
joedastudd10 m ago

Have you paid off your mortgage and any debts?If not a pretty massive sum …Have you paid off your mortgage and any debts?If not a pretty massive sum to pay for something which will do the same job a car for the fraction of the price can do.

Yes I paid of all my mortgage. No debts.
Original Poster
Wadda12 m ago

Chances are diesel cars will be heavily taxed or obsolete by then that …Chances are diesel cars will be heavily taxed or obsolete by then that will have a great affect on its value. Don't forget its a Renault engine in it. A rough estimate for value at 10 years old presuming average mileage and condition would be around £2000.

£2k? Really? How did you get that? Renault engine? Is that bad or?
I bought a new VW Diesel for about £15000 in 2007 and it was well looked after. i sold it just a couple of months ago for £3200 to webuyanycar - so roughly 80% depreciation in 10 years. No one knows the future but this is just my actual experience
Too many factors to suggest poor depreciation. I found Merc badge seems to struggle with residuals. I’d go petrol hatch, love the A3, if you can come down in badge, then the Golf or Leon is also really nice.
Edited by: "hairray" 14th Nov 2017
If I were spending 20k i wouldnt do it on an a180. Look good but the engines are crap and slow.
Sophia199333 m ago

Some a classes have renault engines yes. Renault engines are garbage indeed but i assume merc wil hve tweaked it. In ten years your value would likely be 3k max. Why not go crazy and buy something like an rs4 avant. Youll get a nice one 06 plate for about 15k and in ten years if u keep it nice it may even go up in value
Sophia199339 m ago

I looked on ebay at 10 year old diesel A class cars for sale its hardly rocket science. Yep the 1.5 diesel that Mercades use is a Renault engine. Personally right now I would not buy a diesel unless your planning on doing a lot of miles in a the next couple of years. I don't think you will even be able to buy a new diesel car in 10 years time due to the emissions.
Edited by: "Wadda" 14th Nov 2017
All cars depreciate, just buy what you want you only live once
If you want an A class get a petrol one. Drive the deal have some great offers on them at the minute.

drivethedeal.com/Spe…spx
Might be a better idea to lease something for 2 years and then re-evaluate. Lease deals pop-up on HUKD all the time and they usually get a lot of heat.
Sophia19931 h, 27 m ago

How do you work out the deprivation? Appreciate the help

I'm not sure, tolerance for german interior design varies on an individual basis. I don't think I could stand it for ten years.

123batman32153 m ago

Some a classes have renault engines yes. Renault engines are garbage

An amusing comment in relation to a Mercedes given their track record in small engines and diesels. Bringing in an external small diesel was the best thing they did, it's more surprising they haven't dumped their own widely panned 2.1 diesel.

Although it's a shame the A-class doesn't get the better 1.6 Renault R9M that Renault & Nissan have swapped to for many of their medium sized cars.

I wouldn't worry about it being a Euro 6 diesel, it seems more likely any emissions rules that come in when Euro6 is old enough to be penalised will target petrol and diesel equally.
Wadda49 m ago

I looked on ebay at 10 year old diesel A class cars for sale its hardly …I looked on ebay at 10 year old diesel A class cars for sale its hardly rocket science.

The A-class in 2007 was a different type of car, a mini MPV instead of a family hatchback.

But yeah, you're looking at a few thousand for any medium sized, mid-range ten year old car. Is it going to affect your decision whether it'll lose £16k, £17k or £18k?
It is worth spending that amount of money on a car if you have that amount spare in the bank or that you have no other debt or no plans to take on a debt while you are paying it off. If you think you will still love it in ten years time, you have more commitment than me. I last five before I want a change and I think that is longer than many. If it will be ten years before you can realistically afford to get another new car then absolutely not. As for that amount on that car? It wouldn't be my ideal. There is that question about residual value with a diesel.
You also need to consider the question of how your circumstances may change in the next few years. Three years ago I was very happy with my mini Cooper,then my circumstances changed dramatically and now that car would be out of the question. Whatever you do, don't over stretch your finances.
Wadda2 h, 59 m ago

Chances are diesel cars will be heavily taxed or obsolete by then that …Chances are diesel cars will be heavily taxed or obsolete by then that will have a great affect on its value. Don't forget its a Renault engine in it. A rough estimate for value at 10 years old presuming average mileage and condition would be around £2000.

If the government tells you not to buy a diesel then do the opposite, all this talk of a war in diesel is putting people of diesel cars. But when demand for diesel drops at the pumps so will the price, diesel is a by product of refining oil, they will want to keep selling it. I'm looking forward to cheap fuel in the next few years.
Buy a brand new Dacia for £5995 otr. The most it can deprecate is £5995. It also has a Renault engine, the £14000 saved good be invested in better ways.

32435988-bxUDU.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 14th Nov 2017
You can get a Jaguar Xtype less than 100k on clock. Leather trim, sat nav etc for £500-£800. Grab herself a bargain.
barry.turner7 m ago

You can get a Jaguar Xtype less than 100k on clock. Leather trim, sat nav …You can get a Jaguar Xtype less than 100k on clock. Leather trim, sat nav etc for £500-£800. Grab herself a bargain.

Yeah, stick £10k away for any repair bills and servicing. Have a nice holiday every year.
POWYSWALES13 m ago

Buy a brand new Dacia for £5995 otr. The most it can deprecate is £5995. I …Buy a brand new Dacia for £5995 otr. The most it can deprecate is £5995. It also has a Renault engine, the £14000 saved good be invested in better ways.[Image]

Somehow I don’t think that’s what the OP is looking for lol
It is now two months since you asked the same question. If you are now £1000 richer then you are okay. If you have the money set aside you are also okay. If you are reliant on a car loan and you haven't saved up that money then chances are you can't afford it and the answer is no, it is not okay. Not sure anyone here can make the decision
astreix4 h, 27 m ago

I bought a new VW Diesel for about £15000 in 2007 and it was well looked …I bought a new VW Diesel for about £15000 in 2007 and it was well looked after. i sold it just a couple of months ago for £3200 to webuyanycar - so roughly 80% depreciation in 10 years. No one knows the future but this is just my actual experience

bad example, as £3200 from webuyanycar would be more like £5000 if sold elsewhere..
Its OK stick it on finance. As if we aren't already drowning in consumer debt.
barry.turner1 h, 55 m ago

You can get a Jaguar Xtype less than 100k on clock. Leather trim, sat nav …You can get a Jaguar Xtype less than 100k on clock. Leather trim, sat nav etc for £500-£800. Grab herself a bargain.

Why would you go for an X-type though? If you're buying a banger go the whole hog and get an XJ.
EndlessWaves11 h, 39 m ago

Why would you go for an X-type though? If you're buying a banger go the …Why would you go for an X-type though? If you're buying a banger go the whole hog and get an XJ.

I've had a couple of XJ's over the years as weekend toys, you get an awful lot of car for your money, they aren't massively practical though (fuel consumption and the sheer size of the things when parking) - but they are lovely things to drive parts are cheap and they're simple enough to be fixable outside of a main dealer network, unlike pretty much any modern car.

I've noticed the X308 models steadily increasing in price over the last 4-5 years as they gain classic status, so don't hang around.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants