Groups

Is it worth studying for another degree at the OU?

Ive recently graduated with a degree in business Studies, I got a 2;2 after doing poorly in a couple of pieces of work which I was disappointed with but I was working a lot at the time in order to pay my rent and bills.

Anyway at the moment Im looking for work, however Im still not entirely sure what I want to do. However once I have a job as was currently thinking of studying for another degree at the open university, something in engineering or comms or IT. I am hoping to work in one of those industries anyway.

What I am thinking though is would studying for another degree at the OU whilst working full time be worth it? How would employers look at this. Could anybody tell me how much it would cost to study there, Ive looked on the website but it doesnt seem to give an answer for the full amount. Also how long would it take me?, 3/4 years part time, I believe you can study at your own pace.

12 Comments

Its quite dear to study with OU - I looked into it, but it wasnt for me. Its 4 years I think...classed as part time.

A 2.2 is good anyway...you can still get a job with that

you may qualify for help towards the cost with the ou, they have a calculator on the site to see if you do, worth a look

You can use tesco clubcard vouchers to pay for OU courses - £10 clubcard vouchers = £40 OU vouchers

I currently do OU... its basically if its a 4 year course (1 year work experiance) it works out to be 6 years part time...

Its not the easiest thing to do, especially if you work during the day. As by the time you get home and eat, and tidy up and do all the other bits and bobs in life, finding time to settle and work is really really hard.

However, i do feel that this is as good as getting a degree at any other place, and it will be really rewarding at the end... another plus is that employers often allow abit of time off for study, especially if its to do with your job, and future employers allways look favourably on people who do part time study, as it shows organisation skills, and motivation...

i still got about 3/2 years left,... i dont part time colledge too.. seems like i been studying all my life!!

if you wanna pick my brain about it, feel free to do so.. I'd be happy to give you my experiances...

Do they have any post-grad options, Chidda?

Original Poster

Kandiman1983;4485594

I currently do OU... its basically if its a 4 year course (1 year work … I currently do OU... its basically if its a 4 year course (1 year work experiance) it works out to be 6 years part time...Its not the easiest thing to do, especially if you work during the day. As by the time you get home and eat, and tidy up and do all the other bits and bobs in life, finding time to settle and work is really really hard.However, i do feel that this is as good as getting a degree at any other place, and it will be really rewarding at the end... another plus is that employers often allow abit of time off for study, especially if its to do with your job, and future employers allways look favourably on people who do part time study, as it shows organisation skills, and motivation...i still got about 3/2 years left,... i dont part time colledge too.. seems like i been studying all my life!! :(if you wanna pick my brain about it, feel free to do so.. I'd be happy to give you my experiances...

Cheers.

Could you tell me how much it would cost roughly to do a degree at the OU. I thought it was slightly cheaper than normal as most of the information is avaliable on the internet and you dont attend lectures etc....

Is it true you can take on as many modules as you want? for example the normal pace in one term is 2 modules but I choose to study 3 instead?

I think employers would look highly of a degree from the OU as you are studying it in your own time.

Also this one goes for anyone on here. Would it be worth having 2 degrees? Thats what Im mainly concerned about, saying having a business degree and an IT/engineering degree. Its going to cost me money and ill be 24 if i decide to do it. Oh and i dont think I can get any financial support, Ive already had a student loan, so I dont think I can apply for that.

Thanks for input so far chaps

As Chesso has mentioned you will most likely be better off doing post-graduate degree, rather than a second a bachelors degree. It needn't even be in the same subject area as your first degree. I know in IT/Computer Science you are able to take such post graduate degrees (albeit at a slightly less advanced level than other courses at the same PG degree level) with no previous experience. Also a post graduate degree will usually be shorter and cheaper than the equivalent undergraduate degree.

Banned

do you really want to spend another possible 6 years doing another degree?
    And you may not get a job after that?

Hiya,

Currently, for taking 1 module its costing me about £400. But yes, you can pick up more if you want, they suggest about 2 modules a semester, but you can do more if you want...

All the info is sent via cd/dvd and module books to your home before the course, and then you work through it sticking to a pre-definded schedule. You submit coursework online, and have access to a forum with other students on too... The lecturer (for my course at least) also pops on supporting material on the OU website for your course, to aid learning. Sometimes there are classes nearby you can go to for workshops (ive never been though.)

The only time you have to go in, is for the final exam on that module, and then there are alot of centers (normally colleges) that you can go to near you, so not much travel....

Any past study/work experiance is also taken into account, so for example, if you chose to do a business study course, but needed to take a maths module... but you'd been an accountant previously, then you wouldnt have to do it, and gain automatic credits... likewise with any study you done in your prev degree...

As for finacial support, you can get a grant that you dont have to pay back also.. but thats asuming that your family (you/partner) are not earning more that 32k (i think)...

I did have the option for this, although i work full time, and im a software developer, but you have to get this in the first year of study i think (check this part of the info)...

Hope this is what you were after.. anymore??.. (not got much work on at moment.. so just chilling on these forums)

Original Poster

I was looking at post-grad options, but I thought with a 2;2 I wouldnt be able to apply for a masters. Not only that but I would be able to only select one that involved business. I would perhaps consider one but I know there are quite a few post-grad courses out there that arent really worth much in employment, not trying to put them down, I just want to do something that will help me in my future career and can make myself standout for employers, if that makes sense

Chidda;4486228

I was looking at post-grad options, but I thought with a 2;2 I wouldnt be … I was looking at post-grad options, but I thought with a 2;2 I wouldnt be able to apply for a masters. Not only that but I would be able to only select one that involved business. I would perhaps consider one but I know there are quite a few post-grad courses out there that arent really worth much in employment, not trying to put them down, I just want to do something that will help me in my future career and can make myself standout for employers, if that makes sense

I think its good.. but very hard to stay motivated, its not like being in a lecture... this is you doing it.. and if you dont, no one will force you to do it...

as for the point you may spend 6 years doing it and still not get a job.. i dont think thats a vaild argument... its to better yourself firstly. secondly, who's to say you can get a job with 1 degree...?... jobs are pot luck, and if you have a degree, you aint got experiance, and if you got experiance, sometimes you aint got a degree... its catch 22...

I luckly have a good job, but no degree.. my friend has a degree and debt and no job... but thats not really relevant.. just so happens i was in the right place at the right time..

Original Poster

Kandiman1983;4486270

I think its good.. but very hard to stay motivated, its not like being … I think its good.. but very hard to stay motivated, its not like being in a lecture... this is you doing it.. and if you dont, no one will force you to do it...as for the point you may spend 6 years doing it and still not get a job.. i dont think thats a vaild argument... its to better yourself firstly. secondly, who's to say you can get a job with 1 degree...?... jobs are pot luck, and if you have a degree, you aint got experiance, and if you got experiance, sometimes you aint got a degree... its catch 22... I luckly have a good job, but no degree.. my friend has a degree and debt and no job... but thats not really relevant.. just so happens i was in the right place at the right time..

Thanks for info mate.

I have also been looking at masters, studying that part time. Think that would probably be the better option but still not sure, I mean should I have two degrees or a masters lol.

I was looking at courses for masters at OU but there very limited for choice. However I would like to do a masters say in something like ICT but Would that be out of the question after doing something different in my degree
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014475
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767188
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7061339
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!44

See more discussions