Groups

Is it worth the money i paid ?

I am bidding on a 1999 hyundai Ato Z midas 5 door 1999 v reg done 18k genuine miles from a elderly person for 1000pound with MOT 12months
    No tax
    Has
    Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Rear seat belts Air Conditioning, Sunroof AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Alloy Wheels,electronic windows. excellent interior.with minor scuffs

did i pay a lot

24 Comments

Banned

not worth a dime

well you've already paid for it..... so does it really matter? it kinda the question you ask before paying IMO

Parkers.co.uk is the place to go for car valuations - you've got ALOT less miles than average and I'm guessing the elderly person had it serviced as and when it was needed, by a dealer. Even so, looks like you paid over the odds, especially with no tax!

]http//ww…=61

What are you going to do if it wasn't worth the money?

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;3451842

well you've already paid for it..... so does it really matter? it kinda … well you've already paid for it..... so does it really matter? it kinda the question you ask before paying IMO

Actually it is out bid now nothing to worry.

chrishill;3451860

Parkers.co.uk is the place to go for car valuations - you've got ALOT … Parkers.co.uk is the place to go for car valuations - you've got ALOT less miles than average and I'm guessing the elderly person had it serviced as and when it was needed, by a dealer. Even so, looks like you paid over the odds, especially with no tax!]http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?deriv=16396&plate=61

I have to disagree...... theres a lot of depeciation over that 72k, however it will certainly need a good run in on the motorway.

Fugly car.

Go to Parkers - It looks as if you might have been ]http//ww…=59

scorpiostar;3451883

Actually it is out bid now nothing to worry.

So you didn't buy it but you were the highest bidder?

Need to sort out the question you should be asking.

Original Poster

Thanking you all for the response next bid only after consulting you all :thinking::p

Goonieman;3451893

Fugly car.

totally, but just about the cheapest thing you can drive in terms of insurance, tax, petrol and servicing. Not pretty, but very very friendly on the wallet.

I can never understand why people think low miles is good?! It means...

1) The car is awful to drive and only driven as a last resort
    2) The car has stood for a long time - either disused or being extensively repaired
    3) The car has been used by an old lady to do her shopping 2 miles down the road and back once a week

The problem you have is that lack of use is the worst thing you can do to a car, after crashing it. It will be all rusty & seized. Contrary to the opinion expressed above, old people that do few miles are LESS likely to have had it serviced. Service in tervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles usually, whichever is SOONER. But I bet that car has 1 stamp in it's book.

If you must get a 9 year old small car, get one that's done 90,000 miles, with all it's service history.

Original Poster

OfnPanad;3452006

I can never understand why people think low miles is good?! It means...1) … I can never understand why people think low miles is good?! It means...1) The car is awful to drive and only driven as a last resort2) The car has stood for a long time - either disused or being extensively repaired3) The car has been used by an old lady to do her shopping 2 miles down the road and back once a weekThe problem you have is that lack of use is the worst thing you can do to a car, after crashing it. It will be all rusty & seized. Contrary to the opinion expressed above, old people that do few miles are LESS likely to have had it serviced. Service in tervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles usually, whichever is SOONER. But I bet that car has 1 stamp in it's book. If you must get a 9 year old small car, get one that's done 90,000 miles, with all it's service history.

That was a very good advice. OfnPanad ! cheers :thumbsup:

Hi
    If its the gold one on ebay that finished for 1020.00 then you had a lucky escape! The colour is gross and he says was only driven by his grandad to the shops but has a baby on board sign in the rear window?
    And to OfnPanad some people can only afford 9 year old cars - we are not all rolling in cash. What's the point in buying a brand new car when as soon as you drive it off the forecourt you have lost up to 2000 off of its value?

OfnPanad;3452006

I can never understand why people think low miles is good?! It means...1) … I can never understand why people think low miles is good?! It means...1) The car is awful to drive and only driven as a last resort2) The car has stood for a long time - either disused or being extensively repaired3) The car has been used by an old lady to do her shopping 2 miles down the road and back once a weekThe problem you have is that lack of use is the worst thing you can do to a car, after crashing it. It will be all rusty & seized. Contrary to the opinion expressed above, old people that do few miles are LESS likely to have had it serviced. Service in tervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles usually, whichever is SOONER. But I bet that car has 1 stamp in it's book. If you must get a 9 year old small car, get one that's done 90,000 miles, with all it's service history.

Its swings and roundabouts though, all engines wear with use and (excluding perishables) a car thats done 18k in 10 years is going to have more life in it than a car thats done 90k, especially when you're talking about a tiny japanese 1.0. Its not just the engine that'll be in better condition either, suspension with only 18k miles of use vs 90k miles use? the interior?

chrishill;3452124

the interior?

lavander stained :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bluetigermobiles;3452104

HiIf its the gold one on ebay that finished for 1020.00 then you had a … HiIf its the gold one on ebay that finished for 1020.00 then you had a lucky escape! The colour is gross and he says was only driven by his grandad to the shops but has a baby on board sign in the rear window?And to OfnPanad some people can only afford 9 year old cars - we are not all rolling in cash. What's the point in buying a brand new car when as soon as you drive it off the forecourt you have lost up to 2000 off of its value?

You are right thats the one, You are spot on:w00t:. " I felt the same lucky escape"

OfnPanad;3452006

Have to agree with all that:thumbsup:

As for the comments about Parkers being the place to go gor valuations, I LOLLED:w00t:

MinstrelMan;3452158

lavander stained :thumbsup:

don't knock OAP stylez, the interior of my current 'budget banger' has paisley and walnut trim! :-D

Bangernomics has some serious street-cred advantages :whistling:

chrishill;3452190

don't knock OAP stylez, the interior of my current 'budget banger' has … don't knock OAP stylez, the interior of my current 'budget banger' has paisley and walnut trim! :-DBangernomics has some serious street-cred advantages :whistling:

only in gateshead my friend........ only in gateshead

MinstrelMan;3452206

only in gateshead my friend........ only in gateshead

actually no, not even there... only in my little world :-(

awwwww bless your little world and all the people in it :o)

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;3452260

awwwww bless your little world and all the people in it :o)

Whats all this about:shock: i havent got a clue whats happening :thinking:

chrishill;3452124

Its swings and roundabouts though, all engines wear with use and … Its swings and roundabouts though, all engines wear with use and (excluding perishables) a car thats done 18k in 10 years is going to have more life in it than a car thats done 90k, especially when you're talking about a tiny japanese 1.0. Its not just the engine that'll be in better condition either, suspension with only 18k miles of use vs 90k miles use? the interior?

Fuel pipes will be corroded, fuel tank will have rust in the top, suspension will be stiff, brake discs will be brittle, as will the clutch plate. Bearings will be worn from standing in one place so long. Rust will be well & truly established in the undercarriage (unless it's been kept garaged). Perhaps the car will look ok, but it's only cosmetics. The oil will be like tar and will be killing the engine from the inside. A 1.0 litre jap engine will go to 200,000 miles easy IF PROPERLY SERVICED...but not if "misused" like this! (2k a year and 1 service in 9 years, I'm guessing)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions