Is it worth upgrading my headset for gaming?

Posted 31st May 2020
Hi all.

I mainly game on Console and a little on PC.

I've been using the Turtle Beach XO Three headset for around 2-3 years now. It's still going strong to be fair.

is it worth upgrading these to a better headset? like the... HyperX Cloud 2, for example? or just stick with what I've got until it eventually dies?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
If you are only plugging a jack into a PS4/Xbox I wouldn’t bother. You are not getting anything other than standard stereo sound anyways.
Dannyrobbo31/05/2020 20:00

If you are only plugging a jack into a PS4/Xbox I wouldn’t bother. You a …If you are only plugging a jack into a PS4/Xbox I wouldn’t bother. You are not getting anything other than standard stereo sound anyways.

I see, I've been reading people hearing footsteps etc better in games with better headsets though (even on console) is that not the case?
CaptainZero31/05/2020 20:00

I see, I've been reading people hearing footsteps etc better in games with …I see, I've been reading people hearing footsteps etc better in games with better headsets though (even on console) is that not the case?

I mean the drivers might be better etc but you are still only getting the same data through both sets. Don’t be swayed by the marketing for virtual 7.1 because you won’t get that through the jack.
Probably best to wait til end of the year with the new consoles coming out, I’m sure they’ll have enhanced gaming headsets with Bluetooth & upgraded sound
If you want to sound whore I recommend these. Astro A50s Its what I have used for years.
_Whatever_31/05/2020 20:09

If you want to sound whore I recommend these. Astro A50s Its what I have …If you want to sound whore I recommend these. Astro A50s Its what I have used for years.

Jesus my One X was cheaper
CaptainZero31/05/2020 20:10

Jesus my One X was cheaper

Used to play competitively and over the years can definitely tell you, you pay for what you get.
_Whatever_31/05/2020 20:12

Used to play competitively and over the years can definitely tell you, you …Used to play competitively and over the years can definitely tell you, you pay for what you get.

Oh I'm sure you do but I can't imagine (on console) its worth paying such a high amount for a headset unless you're in the professional scene of course.
CaptainZero31/05/2020 20:13

Oh I'm sure you do but I can't imagine (on console) its worth paying such …Oh I'm sure you do but I can't imagine (on console) its worth paying such a high amount for a headset unless you're in the professional scene of course.

Of course, it depends what you require it for. Have found these a great all rounder, the audio is the best I have used with crazy in depth audio customisations plus a decent build quality. But yea the price is off putting
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 31st May
I had the a50s but had an accident with the basestation so need a cheaper alternative. Got the Hyper X Cloud PS4 and was blown away. I honestly think they are almost as good as a50s and for me the leatherette cushions are way softer than a50 material. Obvious the a50s have a really superior depth of sound, but the faff of the base station, the optical cable, charging the headset, i find the hyper x much better to use for plug and play.

In comparison to an old set of turtle beach's - they are both night and day. Turtle beach feels cheap and i was constantly being told my mic sounded weird.
shepademus31/05/2020 20:36

I had the a50s but had an accident with the basestation so need a cheaper …I had the a50s but had an accident with the basestation so need a cheaper alternative. Got the Hyper X Cloud PS4 and was blown away. I honestly think they are almost as good as a50s and for me the leatherette cushions are way softer than a50 material. Obvious the a50s have a really superior depth of sound, but the faff of the base station, the optical cable, charging the headset, i find the hyper x much better to use for plug and play.In comparison to an old set of turtle beach's - they are both night and day. Turtle beach feels cheap and i was constantly being told my mic sounded weird.

Is that the HyperX Cloud 1 yeah? I hear they're pretty good if just doing console gaming
CaptainZero31/05/2020 20:00

I see, I've been reading people hearing footsteps etc better in games with …I see, I've been reading people hearing footsteps etc better in games with better headsets though (even on console) is that not the case?

They are probably not using the jack, my son uses playstation platinum headset with wireless dongle, he also uses it on pc
Hyper x alphas are better than all of the above
I have artic 9x steel series and they are amazing.
CaptainZero31/05/2020 20:37

Is that the HyperX Cloud 1 yeah? I hear they're pretty good if just doing …Is that the HyperX Cloud 1 yeah? I hear they're pretty good if just doing console gaming

I think they are a newer model that they produced after the hyper X cloud 2 with PS4 branding. Not sure which version they are cloned from. I think at the time they were called 'new' hyper X cloud, on the Argos website
Post a comment
@
    Text