Is it wrong of me turning the Save the Children adverts over?

Found 30th Jan 2012
Every time an advert comes on with very ill African children, i can't help but to turn it over.
I'm not sure why i do it.
It just frustrates me every time i see the adverts.
Is anyone else the same or i'm guessing it's just me?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
50 Comments

No you're not on your own I do it too.
A lot of the money that is raised for them is used to buy arms so I no longer get affected by it.

I'm sure that makes me appear heartless but I'm truly not

It's not just you.

They're on all the time on some channels, it's really off putting. I find they're louder than most adverts too so there's no chance of you not hearing it.

I give to charity btw

Original Poster

chasmi49

No you're not on your own I do it too.A lot of the money that is raised … No you're not on your own I do it too.A lot of the money that is raised for them is used to buy arms so I no longer get affected by it.I'm sure that makes me appear heartless but I'm truly not

I always do wonder where exactly the money goes too. Because it's impossible for 100% of it to go to the children in Africa.
And i also wonder how much and how do they pay for advertising costs and others stuff like that

Original Poster

beatrixkiddo79

It's not just you.They're on all the time on some channels, it's really … It's not just you.They're on all the time on some channels, it's really off putting. I find they're louder than most adverts too so there's no chance of you not hearing it.I give to charity btw

I hardly give to charity...the odd penny in a box now and again, but i don't go out my way too.
Took 4 bags of clothes to the clothes bin a few weeks ago,
But i did do my bit for Comic Relief i raised over £200

Those adverts are distressing. I also find thecruelty to animal ones upsetting.

I don't have the same disposeable income as I used to when I was single and had a well paid job in London and could donate every month to certain charities. I do my bit by sometimes buying from Oxfam, the PDSA and other charity shops.

It can be a worry to not know for sure if any money you donate does go to those that need it.

I often support MDCC auctions on ebay, in particular those in aid of Chaldon Animal Sanctuary and Friends of Bwindi as they are both deserving and genuine causes.

friends-of-bwindi.org/

http://www.chaldonanimalsanctuary.co.uk/about.htm

I can only afford small amounts these days as I don't earn as much as i used to and have children to support, but I do believe in helping those less fortunate.

I don't pay any attention to charity adverts on tv or by post. The thing that annoys me the most is the 'chuggers' who stop you in the high street, or knock on the door at tea-time, and expect you to give them your bank details. Plus I know most of them get paid, so hardly acting charitably themselves!

I do give to some charities, mostly those I have a personal reason to - not sure if that is the right way to decide, but there are so many how do you decide which one is more worthy.

Those adverts do my head in. It's been 27 years this year since Live Aid, when the fund raising began, and nothing seems to have changed that much.

My partner and I always say, maybe the biggest help out there, would be to offer contraception.

Banned

I turn off all charity adverts that play the guilt card. I hate them.

Banned

Like most people, I prefer to ignore the pain and suffering in the world. I know I could give more money than I do but I don't.

The ads are just a tiny punishment for me spending money on fancy spirits and Converse trainers.

Original Poster

I've heard a saying before...Not referring to them as rats but here goes...Forgot how it completely goes but its something along the lines of...if you have a bunch of dying rats, you give them cheese to survive and reproduce, then you will need more cheese to keep them all alive...so on so on...
Pritty silly but it is true in a way
Edited by: "dylanjb100" 30th Jan 2012

Banned

people still watch adverts in 2012? oO

Banned

I look after myself, family and friend's and occasionally other people.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Like most people, I prefer to ignore the pain and suffering in the world. … Like most people, I prefer to ignore the pain and suffering in the world. I know I could give more money than I do but I don't.The ads are just a tiny punishment for me spending money on fancy spirits and Converse trainers.

You give any money at all??

Banned

master_chief

You give any money at all??

About twice the amount that I've worked out assuages my guilt.

Banned

DLM

I look after myself, family and friend's

Isn't that 1 person?

Banned

FilthAndFurry

About twice the amount that I've worked out assuages my guilt.

You're veering dangerously close to Plum's side of the fence.
Edited by: "master_chief" 30th Jan 2012

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Isn't that 1 person?

X)

Original Poster

jellybaby22

The animal cruelty ones really get to me...I have to turn over...but as … The animal cruelty ones really get to me...I have to turn over...but as bad as this sounds..I think I'm immune to the Africa ones... It's on tv so much... Reading that back sounds awful but I think it's cos we have all these different charities and comic relief etc and it never seems to get any better

Couldn't agree more...

The ads are easy to avoid just turn over, its when they knock on your door, and go on & on i try and be polite and say no thanks but no they still carry on, i know they dont do it for free, its commission the more they sign up the more they get paid.

I do my bit when i can, charity xmas cards, calenders & donate to charity shops.

Original Poster

aunty jane

The ads are easy to avoid just turn over, its when they knock on your … The ads are easy to avoid just turn over, its when they knock on your door, and go on & on i try and be polite and say no thanks but no they still carry on, i know they dont do it for free, its commission the more they sign up the more they get paid.I do my bit when i can, charity xmas cards, calenders & donate to charity shops.

We never answer the door to people no more in this house, people can call it ignorance but if we see a clip board or tie at our door they ain't getting answered to. Unless we know its for post or somthing

Does charity even exist? truth is, there will always be poverty and famine.

It's very sad, But they keep reproducing.

csiman

people still watch adverts in 2012? oO

A few adverts are pretty good and are shot really well (the hands only CPR with Vinny Jones is my current favourite). Ridley Scott started his direction with tv adverts .....
Edited by: "gari189" 30th Jan 2012

Banned

gari189

A few adverts are pretty good and are shot really well (the hands only … A few adverts are pretty good and are shot really well (the hands only CPR with Vinny Jones is my current favourite). Ridley Scott started his direction with tv adverts .....

That's why we have youtube, to watch the Passat force advert over and over when you want to!

Original Poster

gari189

A few adverts are pretty good and are shot really well (the hands only … A few adverts are pretty good and are shot really well (the hands only CPR with Vinny Jones is my current favourite). Ridley Scott started his direction with tv adverts .....

I didn't get that advert, I have done the First Aid Training 4 times but never been told about just the compression's, why has it changed?

I have money coming out my account for a few charities each month so when i switch over theres no guilt. I mean inconsiderate barstewards dying on my 50" High def LCD 3D Smart TV in the spare room of my 2nd home... Do they not know im about to eat a full meal for the 4th time today, surely they got better things to than die. Some days i wish i didnt have Sky multiroom... 3 F in different rooms that was on in

(_;)
Edited by: "simplex" 30th Jan 2012

Banned

dylanjb100

I didn't get that advert, I have done the First Aid Training 4 times but … I didn't get that advert, I have done the First Aid Training 4 times but never been told about just the compression's, why has it changed?

bhf.org.uk/hea…spx

beatrixkiddo79

It's not just you.They're on all the time on some channels, it's really … It's not just you.They're on all the time on some channels, it's really off putting. I find they're louder than most adverts too so there's no chance of you not hearing it.I give to charity btw

On the kids channels all the time

Not just you.

Banned

they spend 87% of their funding on advertising.

lumoruk

they spend 87% of their funding on advertising.

errrrrrr, BIG WRONG! They spend 13% of donations on fundraising and that 13% has a 169% rate of return, thereby increasing the overall value of your donation by 9%.

Edited by: "sbeard1" 30th Jan 2012

Ignoring charity fundraising is a reality of modern day life. Detaching ourselves from the bad things happening in the world is a necessary skill. However I wouldn't take to ranting or getting annoyed about any charitable initiative or wearing my distaste as a badge of honour.
Edited by: "brett1985" 30th Jan 2012

chasmi49

No you're not on your own I do it too.A lot of the money that is raised … No you're not on your own I do it too.A lot of the money that is raised for them is used to buy arms so I no longer get affected by it.I'm sure that makes me appear heartless but I'm truly not

Nah, heartless is when you start making sarky comments at the TV screen and the wife says 'You're so harsh'..... or so i'm told.......
aunty jane

The ads are easy to avoid just turn over, its when they knock on your … The ads are easy to avoid just turn over, its when they knock on your door, and go on & on i try and be polite and say no thanks but no they still carry on, i know they dont do it for free, its commission the more they sign up the more they get paid.I do my bit when i can, charity xmas cards, calenders & donate to charity shops.

They turn up at my door, flash their ID card, start the spiel and I tell them to **** off. Works for me.

Like i'm going to give my bank details to some randomer on the scrounge. Yeah that's really going to happen. 419.

chasmi49

aunty jane

I try and let them down gently maybe its time i grew some b@lls n tell them to P off

Original Poster

chasmi49

aunty jane

The worst for trying to get money out of you and even for a cause i don't know anything about are the ones working for "Big Issue" there is a Romanian woman at my town center and all she does is sit there all day everyday trying to sell that stupid magazine or what ever it is!

Original Poster

aunty jane

I try and let them down gently maybe its time i grew some b@lls n tell … I try and let them down gently maybe its time i grew some b@lls n tell them to P off

Balls are great on so many levels...

dylanjb100

I didn't get that advert, I have done the First Aid Training 4 times but … I didn't get that advert, I have done the First Aid Training 4 times but never been told about just the compression's, why has it changed?

I was told about the compressions only several years ago, as they say there is enough air in the lungs to sort it. Plus the advice changes every few years

Original Poster

30 compression's - 2 mouth blows (Whats the correct term for the mouth to mouth)? That's what I've been taught anyways

I do be very frustrated at the larger charities, and I do find in a way there aggressive advertising is a turn off and whilst it does provoke sympathy from me, it also Makes me questione the methods and just how much actually gets through to the intended destination.
These are not charities any more they are businesses, run by business people, who are generally interested in preserving their role and their salary. I see them all the time at business events, I cannot believe they waste money on sustaining these people.

I do also feel the is a lot of truth in the thoughts that we keep helping some countries, communities, groups over and over and the problem never seems solved, especially in regards to Africa, where I do suspect the money is syphoned off to the corrupt governments and everyone else down the line.

I do not give a lot to charity, but I do make sure I give when people around me are making charitable efforts, such as climbs, events etc, especially to those doing it for a cause close to their heart. I also have a local one which is important to friend, I try to donate something at least every year.
Edited by: "skellysgirl" 30th Jan 2012

Banned

I always wondered what they were advertising.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions