Is just me or the quantity of new deals have decreased drastically?

Posted 25th Feb
I remember on the old days of the site. If I left my desk for a couple of hours. I would have to scroll a couple pages of new deals.

I have not checked this site for at least 4 days and wen to check the "new deals" and it took me 5 minutes to catch up.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
With this moderation in place I can't be bothered to post any deal. Just get it myself and that's it.
deleted67360
AMaky25/02/2020 11:11

And how many deals have you posted recently?

I stopped posting since everything became heavily moderated and I just felt that It was not worthy the effort!

You find a deal that is good, post it and what else you get for it? Nothing!

Someone posts a burger king deal that is repeated every week: hottest deal ever
To be honest, I wonder how much of this is down to the Deal Editor (if that's the right term) thing the site's doing these days. From what I gather, the site seems to have a whole team of people, who they pay in keychains and t-shirts, whose job it is to find as many 'deals' as they can. Consequently, they find every 5%-off discount and £5-saving out there, and fill the site with deals which are really nothing but typical price fluctuations or deprecations. It's just noise, which further drowns out the signal of a real hot deal.
deleted67360
Tiddly_fiddly25/02/2020 10:49

Agree. Not many new deals recently.. Or if there has been, they havent …Agree. Not many new deals recently.. Or if there has been, they havent lasted long!

Lets not even talk about the quality!
72 Comments
Agree. Not many new deals recently.. Or if there has been, they havent lasted long!
deleted67360
Tiddly_fiddly25/02/2020 10:49

Agree. Not many new deals recently.. Or if there has been, they havent …Agree. Not many new deals recently.. Or if there has been, they havent lasted long!

Lets not even talk about the quality!
I don't think it's that the quality of deals has decreased, it's more likely a case that better moderation and some rule changes have stopped any old cr@p being posted as a "deal". That's why you see posts now being moved to Discussions or non-deals being deleted rather than clogging up the deals page with spam.
deleted67360
Haircut_10025/02/2020 11:02

I don't think it's that the quality of deals has decreased, it's more …I don't think it's that the quality of deals has decreased, it's more likely a case that better moderation and some rule changes have stopped any old cr@p being posted as a "deal". That's why you see posts now being moved to Discussions or non-deals being deleted rather than clogging up the deals page with spam.

I disagree! If you have been on this site as long as I have you can even see a pattern:

Cheap games deal... some random stuff that nobody cares about. The usual free games, Ebay discount codes
With this moderation in place I can't be bothered to post any deal. Just get it myself and that's it.

Boom .. shots fired ..
deleted67360

I stopped posting since everything became heavily moderated and I just felt that It was not worthy the effort!

You find a deal that is good, post it and what else you get for it? Nothing!

Someone posts a burger king deal that is repeated every week: hottest deal ever
To be honest, I wonder how much of this is down to the Deal Editor (if that's the right term) thing the site's doing these days. From what I gather, the site seems to have a whole team of people, who they pay in keychains and t-shirts, whose job it is to find as many 'deals' as they can. Consequently, they find every 5%-off discount and £5-saving out there, and fill the site with deals which are really nothing but typical price fluctuations or deprecations. It's just noise, which further drowns out the signal of a real hot deal.
Don't forget that a few large retailers have been suspended from the site. One of which has quite a lot of deals going at any one time, in different parts of the country.
deleted251699
Buckyball25/02/2020 11:27

With this moderation in place I can't be bothered to post any deal. Just …With this moderation in place I can't be bothered to post any deal. Just get it myself and that's it.

Don't forget you are the product. Every click/link to a retailer is money. I'm only back online to make a comment because I can. I asked for my account/ details to be removed but alas it takes 30 days ????? Business is business I suppose and no doubt this comment will be removed although there is nothing offensive within it.
Hi @gcmarcal I compared January 2018 against January 2019 and January 2020 to see if there has been a drastic change and there really has not been. There was no massive fluctuation between any of these years.

What we've tried to do with our publication rules is increase the content quality. We do not want the size flooded with poor content because that does not equate to quality content. We want deals to be shared because they represent a cracking deal and it is something the community want to see.

Less deals is fine if the quality is up.
deleted25169925/02/2020 14:12

Don't forget you are the product. Every click/link to a retailer is money. …Don't forget you are the product. Every click/link to a retailer is money. I'm only back online to make a comment because I can. I asked for my account/ details to be removed but alas it takes 30 days ????? Business is business I suppose and no doubt this comment will be removed although there is nothing offensive within it.

Your 30 day timer will reset now
deleted25169925/02/2020 14:12

Don't forget you are the product. Every click/link to a retailer is money. …Don't forget you are the product. Every click/link to a retailer is money. I'm only back online to make a comment because I can. I asked for my account/ details to be removed but alas it takes 30 days ????? Business is business I suppose and no doubt this comment will be removed although there is nothing offensive within it.

Not every link/click is money Many retailers do not pay us a penny.
Pájaro25/02/2020 13:04

To be honest, I wonder how much of this is down to the Deal Editor (if …To be honest, I wonder how much of this is down to the Deal Editor (if that's the right term) thing the site's doing these days. From what I gather, the site seems to have a whole team of people, who they pay in keychains and t-shirts, whose job it is to find as many 'deals' as they can. Consequently, they find every 5%-off discount and £5-saving out there, and fill the site with deals which are really nothing but typical price fluctuations or deprecations. It's just noise, which further drowns out the signal of a real hot deal.

We've had Deal Editors on site for quite a few years now. You're right that it is their job to find and post content they believe represents a cracking deal. Their job is to not find as many deals as they can. They will only share offers they believe the community will love.

I think its important to remember that they're posting it because it is not yet on site (so they aren't taking content away from members). They have a huge amount of experience in this type of thing which I hope shows when you consider how well their deals are received.

Deal Editor posts accounted for about 7% of deals last month so they aren't flooding the site with content.
deleted251699
smashed25/02/2020 14:34

Your 30 day timer will reset now

I clocked that now.
Just like HOTEL CALIFORNIA you can never leave........
Does anyone Know how to make a formal data request ? Please no referals to TnC's in simple language please.
deleted25169925/02/2020 14:44

I clocked that now. Just like HOTEL CALIFORNIA you can … I clocked that now. Just like HOTEL CALIFORNIA you can never leave........Does anyone Know how to make a formal data request ? Please no referals to TnC's in simple language please.

Yep. The button directly above where you deleted your account you can download a copy of your data Once it is ready you'll get an email notification and a link to the download.
Loads of retailers banned now
I don’t think there are as many members of the public posting decent deals, for numerous reasons.

The number of deals that get moved, disappear etc also puts people off.
deleted67360
Jason25/02/2020 14:27

Hi @gcmarcal I compared January 2018 against January 2019 and January 2020 …Hi @gcmarcal I compared January 2018 against January 2019 and January 2020 to see if there has been a drastic change and there really has not been. There was no massive fluctuation between any of these years.What we've tried to do with our publication rules is increase the content quality. We do not want the size flooded with poor content because that does not equate to quality content. We want deals to be shared because they represent a cracking deal and it is something the community want to see. Less deals is fine if the quality is up.

I am sorry that I can't agree with the "quality improvement" of the deals in here. I cannot even remember the last time I had to forward a deal to a family member / colleague for being a cracking deal.

Once again. The truth if the new design / management is affecting the way that loyal members view this site.

Nevermind.
sicklysweet25/02/2020 14:47

Loads of retailers banned now

Which in particular would you say might lead to a decrease in deals on site? Apart from Asda as that is one we're both aware of.
deleted6736025/02/2020 14:57

I am sorry that I can't agree with the "quality improvement" of the deals …I am sorry that I can't agree with the "quality improvement" of the deals in here. I cannot even remember the last time I had to forward a deal to a family member / colleague for being a cracking deal.Once again. The truth if the new design / management is affecting the way that loyal members view this site.Nevermind.

This site has been in existence for 16 years so changes or evolution is inevitable. We (along with Germany) founded Pepper so it wasn't a case of new management. The same people that worked for hotukdeals now work for Pepper.

Consideration of deals is down to us as individuals so if you do not believe something is a great deal then that is your choice and not for me to disagree with.

Why did we make changes in July 2019? -

We wanted to ensure that the deals you see on site deserve to be here. If the deal is great it'll go to the Hot page (as decided by our members) and if it is getting even more traction after being on the Hot page it might feature on Highlights.

Deals which are not market leading are removed. We do not want deals on site if they can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

If deals are likely to lead to disappointment (ie a yellow sticker item and 1 left) then get shared in Discussions. The same goes for items which are RRP or always that price. We can and do make exceptions and those decisions are usually made following a discussion between the team working on the day.

Maybe I can get some stats to explain how many deals get shared to Discussions rather than Deals. In practice it'll be such a small % of total deals shared on our platform.
Jason25/02/2020 15:45

Which in particular would you say might lead to a decrease in deals on …Which in particular would you say might lead to a decrease in deals on site? Apart from Asda as that is one we're both aware of.

John Lewis
Jason25/02/2020 15:54

This site has been in existence for 16 years so changes or evolution is …This site has been in existence for 16 years so changes or evolution is inevitable. We (along with Germany) founded Pepper so it wasn't a case of new management. The same people that worked for hotukdeals now work for Pepper. Consideration of deals is down to us as individuals so if you do not believe something is a great deal then that is your choice and not for me to disagree with. Why did we make changes in July 2019? - We wanted to ensure that the deals you see on site deserve to be here. If the deal is great it'll go to the Hot page (as decided by our members) and if it is getting even more traction after being on the Hot page it might feature on Highlights. Deals which are not market leading are removed. We do not want deals on site if they can be bought cheaper elsewhere. If deals are likely to lead to disappointment (ie a yellow sticker item and 1 left) then get shared in Discussions. The same goes for items which are RRP or always that price. We can and do make exceptions and those decisions are usually made following a discussion between the team working on the day. Maybe I can get some stats to explain how many deals get shared to Discussions rather than Deals. In practice it'll be such a small % of total deals shared on our platform.

I understand that stats help pepper justify, and quantify, changes but I think this thread was started more about the user experience and opinion point of view than anything else.

It’s the same comments that come up time and time again from the users and the same responses from Pepper which I think also winds up the users and puts them off posting.

I like to stick to the friendly bunch over in JHT where there are less hukker politics & it’s just like the old days of friendliness and banter so I won’t add much more to this thread but I think the thing is that fundamentally it is the users (who feel part of a community) that make this place a success and they appreciate being listened to, whereas sometimes we get railroaded.

Part of a happy community is people being listened to, feeling appreciated, clear rules, being talked to (not talked at) and a freedom of speech. It’s never going to be easy to get the right balance.
deleted67360
Jason25/02/2020 15:54

This site has been in existence for 16 years so changes or evolution is …This site has been in existence for 16 years so changes or evolution is inevitable. We (along with Germany) founded Pepper so it wasn't a case of new management. The same people that worked for hotukdeals now work for Pepper. Consideration of deals is down to us as individuals so if you do not believe something is a great deal then that is your choice and not for me to disagree with. Why did we make changes in July 2019? - We wanted to ensure that the deals you see on site deserve to be here. If the deal is great it'll go to the Hot page (as decided by our members) and if it is getting even more traction after being on the Hot page it might feature on Highlights. Deals which are not market leading are removed. We do not want deals on site if they can be bought cheaper elsewhere. If deals are likely to lead to disappointment (ie a yellow sticker item and 1 left) then get shared in Discussions. The same goes for items which are RRP or always that price. We can and do make exceptions and those decisions are usually made following a discussion between the team working on the day. Maybe I can get some stats to explain how many deals get shared to Discussions rather than Deals. In practice it'll be such a small % of total deals shared on our platform.

You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still won't convince anyone from the old times.
You call evolution I call: The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)

If anybody dares to highlight these issued we can just get your attention for while until of the most radical mods just delete the thread.

I believe that there are several people that just stopped coming here and posting deals and did not even bother to raise the issue.

I am on the verge of deleting my account soon as every time I see that anonymous moderator PM informing me that my post has been deleted.

Maybe is not "hotukdeals" it is me but this relationship has to end!
Edited by: "deleted67360" 25th Feb
Jason25/02/2020 16:02

They aren't suspended.

Oh my bad, they were for a while though weren’t they? I think that’s part of the issue, no one knows what’s going on and where the goalposts are as they just seem to change.

But then again I’m in a foul mood & feel poorly so best I get back to getting some sleep.
deleted6736025/02/2020 16:21

You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still …You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still won't convince anyone from the old times.You call evolution I call: The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)If anybody dares to highlight these issued we can just get your attention for while until of the most radical mods just delete the thread.I believe that there are several people that just stopped coming here and posting deals and did not even bother to raise the issue.I am on the verge of deleting my account soon as every time I see that anonymous moderator PM informing me that my post has been deleted.Maybe is not "hotukdeals" it is me but this relationship with has to end!

I have to admit the newer mods/editors/whetevertheyarecalledthesedays don’t always take logical/sensible action & some come off like they’re on a power trip, increasing the feeling of hierarchy & unfriendliness.

You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still …You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still won't convince anyone from the old times.You call evolution I call: The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)If anybody dares to highlight these issued we can just get your attention for while until of the most radical mods just delete the thread.I believe that there are several people that just stopped coming here and posting deals and did not even bother to raise the issue.I am on the verge of deleting my account soon as every time I see that anonymous moderator PM informing me that my post has been deleted.Maybe is not "hotukdeals" it is me but this relationship has to end!

“The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)”

Can I just ask are you seeing these amazing deals posted elsewhere or is it perhaps a lack of deals been available as retailers are learning from mistakes a tightening up on glitches and code stacks.

Have you personally found these deals and just decided not to share?
sicklysweet25/02/2020 16:13

I understand that stats help pepper justify, and quantify, changes but I …I understand that stats help pepper justify, and quantify, changes but I think this thread was started more about the user experience and opinion point of view than anything else. It’s the same comments that come up time and time again from the users and the same responses from Pepper which I think also winds up the users and puts them off posting.I like to stick to the friendly bunch over in JHT where there are less hukker politics & it’s just like the old days of friendliness and banter so I won’t add much more to this thread but I think the thing is that fundamentally it is the users (who feel part of a community) that make this place a success and they appreciate being listened to, whereas sometimes we get railroaded.Part of a happy community is people being listened to, feeling appreciated, clear rules, being talked to (not talked at) and a freedom of speech. It’s never going to be easy to get the right balance.

The thread was started with the question of whether the quantity of deals has decreased drastically. I answered that specific question based on stats/data. The thread then went on to other topics which i've been more than happy to respond to.

I will respond to question as best I can and hopefully with some stats or reasoning but if someone has already made their mind up quite often the facts are pretty irrelevant to them.

The reason the same responses are forthcoming is because that is the sites position. Going back to my point above, if someone has already made their mind up about something then we're incredibly unlikely to change their opinion.

We do try to engage openly whenever questions are put to us and we'll do as much as we can to ensure those threads remain on site and as many people as possible can contribute. I can assure you though that threads are only removed if people go too far. We should be able to have open and honest conversations while respecting each other.

Just seen your other comment. Hope you feel better soon!
sicklysweet25/02/2020 16:28

I have to admit the newer mods/editors/whetevertheyarecalledthesedays …I have to admit the newer mods/editors/whetevertheyarecalledthesedays don’t always take logical/sensible action & some come off like they’re on a power trip, increasing the feeling of hierarchy & unfriendliness.

Private message me some examples and i'll get back to you.
Unfortunately, I see far fewer groceries deals nowadays.

Plus, with my filters in place that prevent posts with particular keywords from loading , mostly things to do with video games and "smart" lightbulbs. There's not really a lot left.
Edited by: "Erudite" 25th Feb
Quantity increased & quality decreased. It’s funny to see VIP deal posters like Chanchi and Reindeer posting travel deals and Tesco grocery deals. Heavy moderation and beta expert program doing its dominance.
HUKD not as it used to be. Glad to see most of you feel the same way.

You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still …You can write a 50 pages essay banging on the same subject and you still won't convince anyone from the old times.You call evolution I call: The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)If anybody dares to highlight these issued we can just get your attention for while until of the most radical mods just delete the thread.I believe that there are several people that just stopped coming here and posting deals and did not even bother to raise the issue.I am on the verge of deleting my account soon as every time I see that anonymous moderator PM informing me that my post has been deleted.Maybe is not "hotukdeals" it is me but this relationship has to end!

You said it yourself here that once you've made your mind up about something you cannot be convinced otherwise. However futile it is, i'll always try to respond.

Provide me with some examples of where we've deleted threads and i'll tell you why they were removed.

People come and go and others stick around. People use the site in many different ways. This is no a criticism of your activity but your last deal was shared in April 2019 so coming up to a year ago. I make this point because you've been here for over 12 years and you use the site in a different way to others. I could find you accounts from 2004 that are still around today and they aren't deal posters at all the same as I could find you accounts from this year and they're incredibly active in terms of deal posting.

My point is that your experience on the site is primarily down to you. We provide the platform and do what we can to make it as enjoyable and as useable as possible but experience on and expectations of the platform is down to the individual.
vassy2i25/02/2020 16:41

Quantity increased & quality decreased. It’s funny to see VIP deal posters …Quantity increased & quality decreased. It’s funny to see VIP deal posters like Chanchi and Reindeer posting travel deals and Tesco grocery deals. Heavy moderation and beta expert program doing its dominance. HUKD not as it used to be. Glad to see most of you feel the same way.

I already covered this (with stats) but quantity has not increased. As for quality, that is your opinion.

I'm not sure the relevance of highlighting the fact there are people sharing travel deals. You only need to look at their posts to see the community really get behind the deals they're posting.
deleted67360
myusernamehasgone23425/02/2020 16:32

“The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any d …“The site has gone downhill ( and fast!) and the prove is the lack of any deals ( to write home about!)”Can I just ask are you seeing these amazing deals posted elsewhere or is it perhaps a lack of deals been available as retailers are learning from mistakes a tightening up on glitches and code stacks.Have you personally found these deals and just decided not to share?

Yes! I saw the WD40 deal on Tesco on 14/02/2020 before anybody had posted in here. In the old days I would take my mobile out and post it straight from the spot! This time I thought about it and decided that I can be bothered.
deleted67360
Jason25/02/2020 16:44

You said it yourself here that once you've made your mind up about …You said it yourself here that once you've made your mind up about something you cannot be convinced otherwise. However futile it is, i'll always try to respond. Provide me with some examples of where we've deleted threads and i'll tell you why they were removed. People come and go and others stick around. People use the site in many different ways. This is no a criticism of your activity but your last deal was shared in April 2019 so coming up to a year ago. I make this point because you've been here for over 12 years and you use the site in a different way to others. I could find you accounts from 2004 that are still around today and they aren't deal posters at all the same as I could find you accounts from this year and they're incredibly active in terms of deal posting.My point is that your experience on the site is primarily down to you. We provide the platform and do what we can to make it as enjoyable and as useable as possible but experience on and expectations of the platform is down to the individual.

Exactly my point maybe its me... not this site as I think it is a bit rubbish nowadays ( no offence!)
Edited by: "deleted67360" 25th Feb
deleted6736025/02/2020 16:55

Yes! I saw the WD40 deal on Tesco on 14/02/2020 before anybody had posted …Yes! I saw the WD40 deal on Tesco on 14/02/2020 before anybody had posted in here. In the old days I would take my mobile out and post it straight from the spot! This time I thought about it and decided that I can be bothered.

Don’t mean to be rude but half price WD40 hardly seems like the type of deal your were referring to wanting to rush to share with your mates. I was thinking £40 PlayStations and so on.

I saw a thread recently where people were stating they no longer share glitches as they know once they are posted on here there is no way they will be honoured so I think there’s a few different factors effecting peoples decisions to post.
Jason25/02/2020 16:44

You said it yourself here that once you've made your mind up about …You said it yourself here that once you've made your mind up about something you cannot be convinced otherwise. However futile it is, i'll always try to respond. Provide me with some examples of where we've deleted threads and i'll tell you why they were removed. People come and go and others stick around. People use the site in many different ways. This is no a criticism of your activity but your last deal was shared in April 2019 so coming up to a year ago. I make this point because you've been here for over 12 years and you use the site in a different way to others. I could find you accounts from 2004 that are still around today and they aren't deal posters at all the same as I could find you accounts from this year and they're incredibly active in terms of deal posting.My point is that your experience on the site is primarily down to you. We provide the platform and do what we can to make it as enjoyable and as useable as possible but experience on and expectations of the platform is down to the individual.

People use the site for various reasons including me. Got to admit I don’t post many deals but still contribute to a degree. I too have been around for a long time and used to look at the new deals several times a day but not so much now since so many longer term valuable members have either gone awol or been banned for whatever reason.

In terms of threads being removed, you just need to log on late at night where a perfectly reasonable discussion has been posted and it’s deleted before the milkman starts his round.

Membership has grown but moderation has become draconian.
Allsorts212125/02/2020 17:26

People use the site for various reasons including me. Got to admit I don’t …People use the site for various reasons including me. Got to admit I don’t post many deals but still contribute to a degree. I too have been around for a long time and used to look at the new deals several times a day but not so much now since so many longer term valuable members have either gone awol or been banned for whatever reason.In terms of threads being removed, you just need to log on late at night where a perfectly reasonable discussion has been posted and it’s deleted before the milkman starts his round.Membership has grown but moderation has become draconian.

Do you have any examples of those threads which are removed?
Edited by: "Jason" 25th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants