Is KODI Windows configuration compatible with Android?

Found 24th Aug 2015
I have kodi on my PC all set up as I want it. Anyone know if I can just backup all the settings etc and install on to an android TV box using the Backup addon? Tried googling but couldnt find an answer.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskWindowsAndroidKodi
43 Comments
Two differant platforms, chances of the saved files being compatible unlikely.
Have you asked on the TVaddons forum where they support Kodi?
I think yes

forum.kodi.tv/sho…935

I also believe you can share the database although I've not been able to complete this task

tvaddons.ag/clo…di/
Edited by: "philphil61" 24th Aug 2015
I believe you can just copy the .Kodi folder over from your PC and overwrite the one on your Android box.
Original Poster
Flynn Jack

Two differant platforms, chances of the saved files being compatible … Two differant platforms, chances of the saved files being compatible unlikely.Have you asked on the TVaddons forum where they support Kodi?

My reasoning being that I can't see the developers writing all the different variations and being open sourced
Original Poster
philphil61

I think yeshttp://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174935I also believe … I think yeshttp://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174935I also believe you can share the database although I've not been able to complete this task http://www.tvaddons.ag/clone-configuration-kodi/

Thanks, will have a good read
Original Poster
stefromuk

I believe you can just copy the .Kodi folder over from your PC and … I believe you can just copy the .Kodi folder over from your PC and overwrite the one on your Android box.

My box has kodi helix so I assume I can install isengard and give it a go without affecting the helix install

Cheers
chocci

My box has kodi helix so I assume I can install isengard and give it a go … My box has kodi helix so I assume I can install isengard and give it a go without affecting the helix install Cheers

chocs, you know the kodi file on the pc, how is it named?

on android you go into the android folder, then data and the kodi file is there named as org.xbmc.kodi

if the file on the pc is named as the same then you should in theory be able to just transfer over. just remember to copy the file over first in the data folder before you download kodi on the android box.
if the folder on the pc is named as org.xbmx.kodi then copy that folder over ionto a mem stick. then insert the mem stick in the kodi box and then c/p that file over to the android-data folder. then download and install kodi from the playstore.
EN1GMA

if the folder on the pc is named as org.xbmx.kodi then copy that folder … if the folder on the pc is named as org.xbmx.kodi then copy that folder over ionto a mem stick. then insert the mem stick in the kodi box and then c/p that file over to the android-data folder. then download and install kodi from the playstore.

​he needs to install Kodi first though on his Android device before copying and pasting
stefromuk

​he needs to install Kodi first though on his Android device before c … ​he needs to install Kodi first though on his Android device before copying and pasting

I was told otherwise mate and have done it the way I posted and it worked for me. no knocking what you posted though. im only saying what ive been told and tied myself.
chocci

My box has kodi helix so I assume I can install isengard and give it a go … My box has kodi helix so I assume I can install isengard and give it a go without affecting the helix install Cheers

You can still download older version if required
EN1GMA

I was told otherwise mate and have done it the way I posted and it worked … I was told otherwise mate and have done it the way I posted and it worked for me. no knocking what you posted though. im only saying what ive been told and tied myself.

No fair comment it must do it differently on Android then...I don't understand why it didn't just overwrite what's there when installing
philphil61

im still on helix 14.2. tried isengard but found it abit buggy so switched back. as phil said, easy to swap back down if you upgrade up
Original Poster
EN1GMA

chocs, you know the kodi file on the pc, how is it named?on android you … chocs, you know the kodi file on the pc, how is it named?on android you go into the android folder, then data and the kodi file is there named as org.xbmc.kodiif the file on the pc is named as the same then you should in theory be able to just transfer over. just remember to copy the file over first in the data folder before you download kodi on the android box.

both platforms seem to have the same file structure

so I have installed the BACKUP kodi add-on on my PC, run a backup (including add-ons) and now currently uploading it (780MB) to MEGAupload and will then restore the files to my android tablet before running on my TV box (when it arrives!).

cheers
Original Poster
philphil61

and then have two KODI versions, each separate from each other?
I had a similar problem - Had Kodi set up with skins,addons,short cuts on customized home screen,etc on a Fire TV. I wanted to clone it to my Laptop. It was possible and now I have 2 Kodi ( isengard ) running which are basically clones.As long as you have access to write files on android, it should be possible.
chocci

not on the same device I don't think. if you are going to downgrade, then make sure on playstore you switch off the option of auto update. otherwise, even if you download helix 14.2 apk, seeing as kodi is now a official app, it will auto update to the latest version if auto update option is not switched off.
the data file is what has your settings saved. so long as you have a saved copy then you can have whatever version of kodi running on your devices without losing your settings. but I don't think you can have helix and isengard running on the same android device separately.

personally my box is stable with helix and I did upgrade when isengard came out but found it abit buggy so switched back. I don't think isengard has anything that I miss on helix so no need to upgrade. obviously will do if anything specific comes out.

but yeah, taking saved settings from helix to isengard and then back down to helix again is no issue.
chocci

both platforms seem to have the same file structureso I have installed … both platforms seem to have the same file structureso I have installed the BACKUP kodi add-on on my PC, run a backup (including add-ons) and now currently uploading it (780MB) to MEGAupload and will then restore the files to my android tablet before running on my TV box (when it arrives!).cheers

let us know how it goes. which box did you go for in the end? still waiting for the LFC games at 3pm as that's mainreason I bought it for.....so far all LFC games have ben on sky sports...X) X)
Original Poster
EN1GMA

not on the same device I don't think. if you are going to downgrade, then … not on the same device I don't think. if you are going to downgrade, then make sure on playstore you switch off the option of auto update. otherwise, even if you download helix 14.2 apk, seeing as kodi is now a official app, it will auto update to the latest version if auto update option is not switched off.

good point!

I have TVMC & Kodi Isengard on my pC and both seem to run fine
Original Poster
EN1GMA

let us know how it goes. which box did you go for in the end? still … let us know how it goes. which box did you go for in the end? still waiting for the LFC games at 3pm as that's mainreason I bought it for.....so far all LFC games have ben on sky sports...X) X)

Went for this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221708630818

Going off you now as I'm a MUFC fan lol
chocci

good point! :)I have TVMC & Kodi Isengard on my pC and both seem to run … good point! :)I have TVMC & Kodi Isengard on my pC and both seem to run fine

probably cause they work as two standalone software. android with playstore would probably look that you already have kodi installed so wouldn't allow you to download the same thing again.
chocci

Went for this onehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221708630818Going off you now … Went for this onehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221708630818Going off you now as I'm a MUFC fan lol

that is a good find!!!!! bloody tempted now.....I gave my mk808b to my dad and got a mx box. might go for this m8 and give the mx to my dad and the mk808b to my brother or something.

hows the m8 better than the mx box chocci, in a nutshell as im **** with hardware..X)

we're going to beat you to 4th place!! now utd fans can do what lfc and arsenal fans have done for years, rejoice in simply qualifying for the champions league. that's where the action is, fighting for 4th spot X)
chocci

The choice is always YOURS - what I was just pointing out was that you could simply download the same version as you already had in either format (pc/android etc)

As EN1GMA stated some versions of kodi are buggy

I've got kodi on my tablet thats connected to my NAS as the media but streams directly to my tv setup (as my NAS doesn't have the "power" (in laymans terms)

I also had kodi on my pc but to update everything (including "watched") so that the pc is the same as the android tablet. I had to add an advancesettings.xml (to keep the watched info) then export the Library (Setting - Library - Export Video Library) and make that exported file available to the PC version so it could import.

HTH

PS I have the advancesettings.xml file already created if you want it or want me to post the contents
Where is your media Chocci or are you just using the addons to view online content?
philphil61

The choice is always YOURS - what I was just pointing out was that you … The choice is always YOURS - what I was just pointing out was that you could simply download the same version as you already had in either format (pc/android etc)As EN1GMA stated some versions of kodi are buggyI've got kodi on my tablet thats connected to my NAS as the media but streams directly to my tv setup (as my NAS doesn't have the "power" (in laymans terms)I also had kodi on my pc but to update everything (including "watched") so that the pc is the same as the android tablet. I had to add an advancesettings.xml (to keep the watched info) then export the Library (Setting - Library - Export Video Library) and make that exported file available to the PC version so it could import.HTHPS I have the advancesettings.xml file already created if you want it or want me to post the contents

that sounds waaay too complicated for me X)

I just use add ons mainly for sports and movies. the tv shows I follow are Arrow and Agents of Shield which are not showing at the moment. I tend to remember episode watched.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 25th Aug 2015
EN1GMA

that sounds waaay too complicated for me X)I just use add ons mainly for … that sounds waaay too complicated for me X)I just use add ons mainly for sports and movies. the tv shows I follow are Arrow and Agents of Shield which are not showing at the moment. I tend to remember episode watched.

All my media is downloaded that's the difference (so other family can watch at their leisure) - some kodi users just use the tvaddons etc - some use kodi as a media streamer/browser/player (me included)

The xml file was easy to create and just save it to the correct location then export the library but in your case because you use the tvaddons you don't AFAIK have a library
Edited by: "philphil61" 25th Aug 2015
Original Poster
philphil61

The choice is always YOURS - what I was just pointing out was that you … The choice is always YOURS - what I was just pointing out was that you could simply download the same version as you already had in either format (pc/android etc)As EN1GMA stated some versions of kodi are buggyI've got kodi on my tablet thats connected to my NAS as the media but streams directly to my tv setup (as my NAS doesn't have the "power" (in laymans terms)I also had kodi on my pc but to update everything (including "watched") so that the pc is the same as the android tablet. I had to add an advancesettings.xml (to keep the watched info) then export the Library (Setting - Library - Export Video Library) and make that exported file available to the PC version so it could import.HTHPS I have the advancesettings.xml file already created if you want it or want me to post the contents

Thanks but only had kodi on my PC a few days so no need to copy advancesettings

all I have done is put tvaddons and superepo on it and set up my favourites. Sticking with confluence skin as others I tried dont seem to have a HOME or BACK icon on most of their screens
Edited by: "chocci" 25th Aug 2015
chocci

Thanks but only had kodi on my PC a few days so no need to copy … Thanks but only had kodi on my PC a few days so no need to copy advancesettings all I have done is put tvaddons and superepo on it and set up my favourites. Sticking with confluence skin as others I tried dont seem to have a HOME or BACK icon on most of their screens

Understood now - you don't have a media library (just like EN1GMA) I'll depart from this thread..sory I misunderstood
Original Poster
philphil61

Where is your media Chocci or are you just using the addons to view … Where is your media Chocci or are you just using the addons to view online content?

box hasnt arrived yet (was hoping for today but the postie has been and gone )

I just have a PC downstairs with local media available on my network, a WDTV Live in the front room with a networked 500GB drive with TV shows on and a WDTV Live in the main bedroom with a 1TB drive with TV shows and films on. Normally just download media and copy over the network to the drives as WDTV boxes support NAS.

Going to replace one of the WDTV boxes with the Android box for films, tv shows, catchup services and sports

The wdtv will be sold on ebay as they go for around £40 still so no real cost for the replacement
Original Poster
philphil61

Understood now - you don't have a media library (just like EN1GMA) I'll … Understood now - you don't have a media library (just like EN1GMA) I'll depart from this thread..sory I misunderstood

no worries, thanks for your input. I dont tend to watch things more than once so no need for Watched status etc although I do use this superb android app for series schedules etc

play.google.com/sto…_GB
philphil61

Understood now - you don't have a media library (just like EN1GMA) I'll … Understood now - you don't have a media library (just like EN1GMA) I'll depart from this thread..sory I misunderstood

phil, stick around mate, you know what you're doing so im sure you'll be able to give general advice. now that I know what you are doing, you might get bugged from me from time to time.
chocci

no worries, thanks for your input. I dont tend to watch things more than … no worries, thanks for your input. I dont tend to watch things more than once so no need for Watched status etc although I do use this superb android app for series schedules etchttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.battlelancer.seriesguide&hl=en_GB

me neither, i tend to watch tv shows just once so no need to download and movies are available on tap via the add ons. I tend to watch re runs of some movies if I want to waste some time and the kids have their favs. but generally have no need to download anymore cause of the ease of the android box/kodi set up.

used to download from showbox, then transfer file onto my NAS. then used to stream to the ps3. gone are those days X)
chocci

no worries, thanks for your input. I dont tend to watch things more than … no worries, thanks for your input. I dont tend to watch things more than once so no need for Watched status etc although I do use this superb android app for series schedules etchttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.battlelancer.seriesguide&hl=en_GB

I suppose it depends on how much media you have stored and who has access and who they are (as an individual)

I have over 500 movies and probably the same in tvshows and to scroll through to find the "unwatched" would be a nightmare for me. Therefore once I've watched something I flag it as watched and only the "unwatched" remains on my main media type (movies or tv shows) screen

example - currently only 5 or 6 unwatched movies on my movie home screen

As I said - everyone is an individual and it'd be a boring planet if everuone did the same.
EN1GMA

phil, stick around mate, you know what you're doing so im sure you'll be … phil, stick around mate, you know what you're doing so im sure you'll be able to give general advice. now that I know what you are doing, you might get bugged from me from time to time.

sent you a pm if you are interested?
EN1GMA

me neither, i tend to watch tv shows just once so no need to download and … me neither, i tend to watch tv shows just once so no need to download and movies are available on tap via the add ons. I tend to watch re runs of some movies if I want to waste some time and the kids have their favs. but generally have no need to download anymore cause of the ease of the android box/kodi set up.used to download from showbox, then transfer file onto my NAS. then used to stream to the ps3. gone are those days X)

Some people don't even know how to download a movie or watch on showbox (as in some of my family) so I just download and allow access
Original Poster
my box just arrived

hopefully, you wont see me for a while unless its DOA
New to kodi and unimpressed so far. Installed some add one for football and at k.o just constant lag, resorted to standard streaming.

Then installed tvaddon, after exiting kodi and loading it back up resorted to my original setup. Installed again only to resort back once again. Any idea what went wrong?

Anyway decided to install as many football add one as possible which is mainly what i want kodi for and have yet to test them again.
As for movies/TV shows, the quality is really poor, very pixelated. Will install showbox and see how that fairs
Edited by: "DarkReborn11" 25th Aug 2015
Original Poster
DarkReborn11

New to kodi and unimpressed so far. Installed some add one for football … New to kodi and unimpressed so far. Installed some add one for football and at k.o just constant lag, resorted to standard streaming.Then installed tvaddon, after exiting kodi and loading it back up resorted to my original setup. Installed again only to resort back once again. Any idea what went wrong?Anyway decided to install as many football add one as possible which is mainly what i want kodi for and have yet to test them again.As for movies/TV shows, the quality is really poor, very pixelated. Will install showbox and see how that fairs

For football try phoenix live sports
Original Poster
Got my new box up and running and is super fast and pc backup installed ok

But have two major problems

1. Cannot see the box on my network through other devices. Es file explorer sees my wdtv boxes fine but didn't locate the android box even after putting in the op address manually. This is a deal breaker to me if it's inaccessible on my network

2. My external hdd has films and tv shows but after adding them all via kodi and updating the library, only the tv shows menu is on the home page but no movies menu. Tried scanning again and I see the films going through the scan but it didn't seem to think they are films the hdd films folder is set to tmdb scraper correctly

EDIT: fixed problem 2 by using a different scraper (universal rather than tmdb)

Any ideas before I revert back to my wdtv?
thanks
Edited by: "chocci" 25th Aug 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions