Expired

Is Landline Essential Anymore?

Banned 9 replies
Found 18th Jul 2006
Hi,

With so many good mobile deals around which offers more than enough free inclusive minutes and almost everyone having a mobile phone, do you think there is need for landlines in homes anymore?

BT, NTL and other networks are all fighting hard to get your custom.

Look forward to reading your views?

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments

you still need a rented line to get broadband....and VOIP will be big soon, i think mobiles that can use VOIP when in range of your wireless network will be the future

ryoooh

you still need a rented line to get broadband....and VOIP will be big … you still need a rented line to get broadband....and VOIP will be big soon, i think mobiles that can use VOIP when in range of your wireless network will be the future

and not far off, theres already mobiles that have wireless network capabilities (nokia N80 is one I believe)

Original Poster Banned

ryoooh

you still need a rented line to get broadband....and VOIP will be big … you still need a rented line to get broadband....and VOIP will be big soon, i think mobiles that can use VOIP when in range of your wireless network will be the future

You can still get broadband without having to pay a landline rental like the NTL 2 for £20, Broadband and Digital tv.

At least for getting through Credit Checks ;-)

I only use my landline for broadband. It's frustrating having to pay the line rental when I don't really use it at all.

hotuk

You can still get broadband without having to pay a landline rental like … You can still get broadband without having to pay a landline rental like the NTL 2 for £20, Broadband and Digital tv.

thats just a gimmick...its still not rental free.

the problem with voip is that you power it. So if you get a powercut, your phone doesn't work. Not good.

A normal landline receives power down the telephone cable, for those who don't know.

Also, all VOIP companies recommend that you keep a landline for emergency calls for the above reasons.

I think it's still a good idea to have the option of both. One point as Reaps states, 6v current and keeps working in powercuts or without having to worry about battery charges.

I do know people who are strapped for cash, don't use the internet anyway and just don't bother. It's good to have both though.

I'm a bit mixed on this, in most cases it's not an option because if I want broadband I have to get a phoneline for ADSL. Although I almost never use a landline, I like having the assurance that it's there as do my family - although my phones are generally reliable there have been times when for some reason a phone has locked up and someone has been urgently trying to get a hold of me.

So I still think a landline is useful as an emergency failsafe contact although that's very rare for me.

On the VOIP front I do have a wireless mobile capable of VOIP but just stick to standard mobile tariffs, I never even use all the minutes I have available.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. black friday dates for halfords11
    2. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…66
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226663
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3592

See more discussions