Expired

Is masonry paint the correct paint for cement soffit boards?

Found 3rd Aug 2014
I need to paint some soffits and pretty sure they are cement boards (or possibly asbestos). Will masonry be up to the job as I did read I could use acrylic latex but cant find that stuff anywhere unless its called something else in the UK.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBoard GamePaint
9 Comments
That's what I would use.
Acrylic latex paint is more commonly known in the UK as emulsion lol
It's just bog standard emulsion. But I wouldn't use that on soffit boards. A masonry paint would wear much better IMHO
This is totally amazing, the all knowing chocci needing some advice! This member usually spends there time trolling other posts! With stupid unfounded opinions that are usually WRONG!
If the boards are asbestos you need to contact your council urgently
coloradorockies

Just been up the scaffold and checked and they are cement boards

Cheers
chocci

Just been up the scaffold and checked and they are cement boardsCheers

you dont know what kind of paint to use but you can check for asbestos yourself X)

coloradorockies

Urgently ?? Why ? If they were asbestos they wouldn't be causing a hazard or problem unless they were being disturbed or if they were degrading. I wouldn't advise painting them if they are asbestos but only because the act of painting may disturb fibres on the surface of the board and you are likely to be close by and in danger of breathing them in.
chocci

Just been up the scaffold and checked and they are cement boardsCheers

Many older cement boards have some asbestos content in and it can be difficult to tell without sending a sample off to a lab. I expect an expert who deals with them every day would be able to tell visually but be wary.
I think he used the app. AsbestoScan.

There really is an app for everything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants