Groups
    EXPIRED

Is Mcdonald's Monopoly A Scam?

I noticed that Mcdonald's monopoly is on again, I was chatting with my OH and we both came to the conclusion that we have never won nor do we know ANYONE who has EVER won anything more than a Big Mac etc.....So i have decided to do a HUKD nationwide search to find anyone who has won or knows someone who has won anything else rather than food..........Or is it indeed a complete SCAM.

55 Comments

It's free to enter so how can it be a scam?

:thinking:

Nope, just a Big Mac, and only once...

Just food here also.

They normally just handout vouchers that you can obtain online anyway, like HMV and Buyagift codes but hey...it's free anyway.

It can't be considered as a scam, as it's free comp with food you're buying anyway...unless you're attempting to become obese for a free prize. :giggle:

Banned

I've only won food and those HMV vouchers. But don't think its a scam as I was happy to get something for nothing.

Paddy Charlie;4779112

I've only won food and those HMV vouchers. But don't think its a scam as … I've only won food and those HMV vouchers. But don't think its a scam as I was happy to get something for nothing.

yeah i got the same as Paddy

Porridge here. Buit no, I've never heard of anyone winning anything that they can't cokk or heat up in their kitchens. I know what the OP means though. Those telly's might not be getting won anywhere.

Only food here too, but remember that there are very few prizes in comparison to the millions of meals sold, and no doubt some of them get thrown away by people who have no idea which ones are rare.

won a coupla mcflurrys.

i agree, i don't think anyone will ever win a house or a Mini or something. thats why Mcdonalds Monopoly was so succesful that they restarted it

Banned

How can it be a scam when its free :?

Last year people posted what vouchers they had hotukdeals.com/ite…it/

Also I remember the mini cooper winners being posted all over the papers

had maccies today.. I won a free apple pie.. a £2 off HMV thing??.. but think i need to stick it somewhere?.... and i got Fleet Street (m912)... just need m913 and m911 to get a free virgin holiday...

lol... let me know if anyone got one..?...

We should start a swop thread with these one.. innit?

If there is only 1 x 100k prize for example, there will only be 1 x street printed (i.e 1 x mayfair).

The number of people who actually just throw away thier packaging without checking will result in 99% of these prizes becoming unclimaed I would suspect !!

US1;4779187

How can it be a scam when its free :?

Because the food is not free, some poeple might buy the food just because the competition is on.

the real scam is buying the food in the first place.

ChrisUK;4779207

If there is only 1 x 100k prize for example, there will only be 1 x … If there is only 1 x 100k prize for example, there will only be 1 x street printed (i.e 1 x mayfair).The number of people who actually just throw away thier packaging without checking will result in 99% of these prizes becoming unclimaed I would suspect !!

Exactly the point I was about to make. For a big prize you have to collect say 3 different tokens, 2 of which will be common as muck, and the other there will be only one of, Maccie D's know the majority of people just chuck the token, so the top prizes won't be claimed, I wouldn't say it's a scam, but it's quite a clever way of offering big prizes with there only really being a small chance of having to give them away.

McD's is great hangover food

I love the chicken dips with BBQ & Chilli sauce

I think a swap shop thread would be a good idea......

Titchimp;4779211

Because the food is not free, some poeple might buy the food just because … Because the food is not free, some poeple might buy the food just because the competition is on.

I'm sure somewhere along time line it will say "no purchase nessacery" although you will have to pay for pen paper envelope and stamp to send off a letter requesting a ticket, thing.

Banned

Titchimp;4779211

Because the food is not free, some poeple might buy the food just because … Because the food is not free, some poeple might buy the food just because the competition is on.

Good point, but how sad must they be to buy mcdonalds just to get a token:?

It WAS a scam in 2001!

"In 2001, the U.S. promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which was hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures, and the chief of security, Jerome P. Jacobson,[5] was able to remove the "most expensive" game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. It turned out that almost all of the grand prize and top prize winners over several years, including contests McDonald's held that did not have the Monopoly theme, had been participants in the scheme, netting more than $24 million. The scheme was eventually uncovered when one of the participants informed on its ringleaders to the FBI. While the fraud was perpetrated without McDonald's knowledge, the McDonald's Corporation voluntarily attempted to rectify the situation by issuing payouts to new (legitimate) contest-winners, awarding five $1 million prizes and fifty $100,000 prizes over a five-day period.[5]"

source:
    en.wikipedia.org/wik…alds_Monopoly[/url]

I think the only real winners here are the homeless people. they must find quite a few free food tokens in the bins

[email protected];4779284

It WAS a scam in 2001! "In 2001, the U.S. promotion was halted after … It WAS a scam in 2001! "In 2001, the U.S. promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which was hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures, and the chief of security, Jerome P. Jacobson,[5] was able to remove the "most expensive" game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. It turned out that almost all of the grand prize and top prize winners over several years, including contests McDonald's held that did not have the Monopoly theme, had been participants in the scheme, netting more than $24 million. The scheme was eventually uncovered when one of the participants informed on its ringleaders to the FBI. While the fraud was perpetrated without McDonald's knowledge, the McDonald's Corporation voluntarily attempted to rectify the situation by issuing payouts to new (legitimate) contest-winners, awarding five $1 million prizes and fifty $100,000 prizes over a five-day period.[5]"source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonalds_Monopoly[/url]

You can hardly say that was a scam orchestrated by Maccie D's, it was a fraud committed by a contracted company. Not the same thing.

Banned

Monopoly card's instead of sticker's have been sold on ebay in the past.

Original Poster

t0mm;4779081

It's free to enter so how can it be a scam?:thinking:

Sorry don't mean SCAM as in "being ripped off" but scam as in does anyone really ever win the "Big Prizes"

Original Poster

Actual prizes and how many of each prize to be won is listed here.

mcdonalds.co.uk/mon…tml

It requires you buy a LOT of macdonalds to win anything substantial surely, odds of getting a decent colour, pretty slim, coupled with it only runs for about 4 weeks so unless you eat it everyday I can' see how your odds are very good at all!

robin hud;4779916

Sorry don't mean SCAM as in "being ripped off" but [SIZE="5"]scam as in … Sorry don't mean SCAM as in "being ripped off" but [SIZE="5"]scam as in does anyone really ever win the "Big Prizes"[/SIZE]

Is the lottery a scam?

borolad94;4780749

Is the lottery a scam?

we know people win the lottery.

FAIL.

borolad94;4781261

http://www.mcdonalds-monopoly.co.uk/prizes-won/

The Op's question was posed before this came to light.

You however asked a question with zero relevance.

FAIL.

Ok, so I "won" 2 Cinema tickets and a 30 day free trial with LoveFilm.
    However, I can ONLY get these tickets if I sign up to the free trial, Do NOT cancel it for the first 30 days, AND order 2 sets of movies and return them. To register my free trial, they are asking me for my
    card details.
    Chances are that I will forget to cancel this free subscription on day 30, my card will be charged for a service I dont want, and I have to ask. How can they say that you have won these tickets if you cant claim them without almost having to purchase a service from an entirely different company?

Banned

Chessy123

Ok, so I "won" 2 Cinema tickets and a 30 day free trial with … Ok, so I "won" 2 Cinema tickets and a 30 day free trial with LoveFilm.However, I can ONLY get these tickets if I sign up to the free trial, Do NOT cancel it for the first 30 days, AND order 2 sets of movies and return them. To register my free trial, they are asking me for mycard details.Chances are that I will forget to cancel this free subscription on day 30, my card will be charged for a service I dont want, and I have to ask. How can they say that you have won these tickets if you cant claim them without almost having to purchase a service from an entirely different company?

You can get the same promotion directly from Lovefilm without buying any food from McDonald's:

lovefilm.com/par…des

a few years ago i got mayfair, had that for a couple months and didnt get the other matching one so i put it in the bin, the next week i went to maccy d and got the other one!!!!

Supermod

You could easily be a winner. Stop eating in McDonalds.

nightstud

a few years ago i got mayfair, had that for a couple months and didnt get … a few years ago i got mayfair, had that for a couple months and didnt get the other matching one so i put it in the bin, the next week i went to maccy d and got the other one!!!!

Isn't the idea to keep them until the promotion ends? oO

thesaint

Isn't the idea to keep them until the promotion ends? oO

Through away 500k? Rolling.

Its not a scam, a fair few years ago I was sitting in a maccy d's in france when they were doing the eurodisney tickets, Some how we won and got only 1 pair of 10 tickets for the whole of france! Apart from some very angry french people in maccy d's they had the tickets there and then and handed them over.

yes i did laugh at her for doing this but if she had won i probably would not of meet her and had are daughter and shes worth more than any amount of money.

nightstud

yes i did laugh at her for doing this but if she had won i probably would … yes i did laugh at her for doing this but if she had won i probably would not of meet her and had are daughter and shes worth more than any amount of money.

her? you said it was you in your previous post?:

nightstud

a few years ago i got mayfair, had that for a couple months and didnt get … a few years ago i got mayfair, had that for a couple months and didnt get the other matching one so i put it in the bin, the next week i went to maccy d and got the other one!!!!

Edited by: "foxxes" 6th Apr 2011

yes me and the misses both use this
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …67118
      2. Fraudulent site2445
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846273
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764497

See more discussions