Groups

Is my Alcatel Pop D1 dead and ready for the bin?

I bought my Alcatel One touch Pop D1 from Argos in April 2015. Although not a great phone, it worked OK until a few days ago. I usually reboot my phone every morning. On rebooting, the phone got stuck in a series of "unfortunately the process com.android.xxx has stopped", where xxx stands for a number of processes. It was impossible to get rid of this errors, until I performed a wipe of the cache partition, and the phone was OK for a couple of days. Then the errors came again and I performed a full reset. It didn't last long. Upon reboot I have now the same problem and the phone is unusable. I believe Argos and Alcatel only give 12 months warranty. Is there a way out? Is there anything else I can try or is it a hardware fault? If the phone is out of warranty, I don't want to spend any money. I'd rather chuck in the bin. (Incidentally, doesn't the EU say that warranty should be 24 months, not 12?)

27 Comments

try backing up and doing a factory reset that normally fixes these errors

Original Poster

stefromuk

try backing up and doing a factory reset that normally fixes these errors

Like I said I did a full factory reset.

Go to this web page from Citizens Advice
    citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ds/
    Answer a couple of questions and follow the resulting guidance.

Is it jail broken with cfw and recovery ?

Original Poster

kester76

Is it jail broken with cfw and recovery ?

No, stock ROM.

gorgo2015

No, stock ROM.

I'd probably get it into recovery and reflash it if possible.

Original Poster

kester76

I'd probably get it into recovery and reflash it if possible.

How would I do that? I mean, I've already gone into recovery mode and wiped everything out. Is a way to reflash it from the PC?

gorgo2015

How would I do that? I mean, I've already gone into recovery mode and … How would I do that? I mean, I've already gone into recovery mode and wiped everything out. Is a way to reflash it from the PC?

One sec.

Found information about Mobile Upgrade S software but can't find any mention of it on their website. Looks like their website has been cleaned out and there's no mention of previous phones.

I've found this website but haven't checked it's credentials.
    support1.alcatelonetouch.com/glo…are

Seems to have a selection for the POP D1

ONE TOUCH Upgrade Download

Mobile Upgrade S 4.1.9 Setup.exe

ONETOUCH Upgrade is a tool that helps you update your Alcatel mobile phone software with your personal computer. Operation System: Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista /Win 7 / Win 8

Original Poster

OK, it appears it has come out of the boot loop and it has gone back to normal. Fingers crossed, but what should I do now?

Original Poster

kester76

Found information about Mobile Upgrade S software but can't find any … Found information about Mobile Upgrade S software but can't find any mention of it on their website. Looks like their website has been cleaned out and there's no mention of previous phones. I've found this website but haven't checked it's credentials.http://support1.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/upgradeSoftwareSeems to have a selection for the POP D1ONE TOUCH Upgrade DownloadMobile Upgrade S 4.1.9 Setup.exeONETOUCH Upgrade is a tool that helps you update your Alcatel mobile phone software with your personal computer. Operation System: Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista /Win 7 / Win 8

Thanks! Will try.

I had a issue earlier on where my Galaxy S1 would fail to boot after the battery ran flat, the error was it couldn't mount internal storage. Ended up flashing new firmware and this seemed to resolve it.

Original Poster

Where can I find the original ROM?

Original Poster

It didn't last long. Back to crashing. Could it be a hardware fault?

Could be, how does it crash ?

Original Poster

kester76

Could be, how does it crash ?

Occasionally I get the error message as mentioned above. If I leave it for a couple of hours it goes back to normal.

If only I could find the stock ROM, I'd reflash. The programs on the Alcatel website don't even recognise the phone.

I went to Argos and they said there is nothing they can do.

I went to Argos and they said there is nothing they can do

Ah but did you follow my link to the letter in post #3?

See this recent query and how the guy is solving similar consumer issues.
    hotukdeals.com/tag/ask…404

I guess you already tried this
    firmware-all.com/100…tml although if it is hardware, and it sounds as if it is, all the ROM flashing in the world wont fix it.
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 4th Sep 2016

Original Poster

I went to Argos and they said there is nothing they can do

tardytortoise

I guess you already tried … I guess you already tried thishttp://firmware-all.com/10095-alcatel-pop-d1-4018x.html although if it is hardware, and it sounds as if it is, all the ROM flashing in the world wont fix it.

Thanks. I'll send a letter to Argos and we'll take it from there. Has anybody got Argos head office address?

No, I haven't tried it because I'm not sure the site is reputable and I'm not confident with torrent.

Isn't this a £35 phone now ?

Original Poster

kester76

Isn't this a £35 phone now ?

Probably even less.

Original Poster

Update!

Argos have replied to my letter.

They say that the warranty has expired and that repairing the phone is not financially viable, but they are willing to refund me the equivalent of what I paid in Argos vouchers, provided I send the phone back.

What should I do? On one hand it seems a reasonable compromise, but I don't know what to do with Argos vouchers.
    Edited by: "gorgo2015" 28th Sep 2016

gorgo2015

Update!Argos have replied to my letter.They say that the warranty has … Update!Argos have replied to my letter.They say that the warranty has expired and that repairing the phone is not financially viable, but they are willing to refund me the equivalent of what I paid in Argos vouchers, provided I send the phone back.What should I do? On one hand it seems a reasonable compromise, but I don't know what to do with Argos vouchers.

you were planning to get a new phone anyway. get the vouchers and either sell them on or keep them (there is always something in argos you may want to buy).

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

you were planning to get a new phone anyway. get the vouchers and either … you were planning to get a new phone anyway. get the vouchers and either sell them on or keep them (there is always something in argos you may want to buy).

Where can I sell them? And do they expire?

gorgo2015

Update!Argos have replied to my letter.They say that the warranty has … Update!Argos have replied to my letter.They say that the warranty has expired and that repairing the phone is not financially viable, but they are willing to refund me the equivalent of what I paid in Argos vouchers, provided I send the phone back.What should I do? On one hand it seems a reasonable compromise, but I don't know what to do with Argos vouchers.

Thats a great result and vindicates the Citizens Advice approach and process you followed. You could stick to your guns and insist on being given their offer in the same way that you paid. So, if you paid cash you can ask for the cash back. After all it would seem as you have convinced them to give you something back - just a little matter of stretching them a bit further. I'm sure you realise that by offering you vouchers they manage to get something back form you when you buy something else from them. But if there is really nothing you want just now then sure - ask them to pay you back the same way as you paid them. Good Luck!

Original Poster

tardytortoise

Thats a great result and vindicates the Citizens Advice approach and … Thats a great result and vindicates the Citizens Advice approach and process you followed. You could stick to your guns and insist on being given their offer in the same way that you paid. So, if you paid cash you can ask for the cash back. After all it would seem as you have convinced them to give you something back - just a little matter of stretching them a bit further. I'm sure you realise that by offering you vouchers they manage to get something back form you when you buy something else from them. But if there is really nothing you want just now then sure - ask them to pay you back the same way as you paid them. Good Luck!

The problem is, I bought the phone with Argos vouchers, not cash. The ideal solution would have been to reflash the phone, but it's obviously not financially viable for Argos.

I seriously don't know what to do with their vouchers. The phone works, provided I don't reboot it. It would cost me money to send the phone back. Plus I'd have to pay an extra £10 for a compulsory top up. I don't feel I want to buy any more from Argos.

My gut feeling would be to reject the offer and insist that they repair the phone; failing that I'll tell them I'll never buy from them and will never recommend either them or Alcatel to everybody I know. That is, HUKD!

gorgo2015

Where can I sell them? And do they expire?

there is that app on android where you sell vouchers i think its called zeek. also ebay and other places like gumtree

gorgo2015

The problem is, I bought the phone with Argos vouchers, not cash. The … The problem is, I bought the phone with Argos vouchers, not cash. The ideal solution would have been to reflash the phone, but it's obviously not financially viable for Argos.I seriously don't know what to do with their vouchers. The phone works, provided I don't reboot it. It would cost me money to send the phone back. Plus I'd have to pay an extra £10 for a compulsory top up. I don't feel I want to buy any more from Argos.My gut feeling would be to reject the offer and insist that they repair the phone; failing that I'll tell them I'll never buy from them and will never recommend either them or Alcatel to everybody I know. That is, HUKD!

You have got the best deal you could possibly get in the circumstances. What you now do with those vouchers is up to you. Argos have some deals on right now. As Argos is now owned by sainsburys I think maybe you could find out if they can be used there or whether they will give you sainsburys vouchers instead.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1424
      2. love affairs1548
      3. word association Game73944491
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364

See more discussions