Expired

Is my laptop dead???

Found 8th Dec 2013
just wondered if anyone has any ideas about my stupid laptop. it is a MSI cr630 and only 2 years old. but it won't turn on.
you press the power button and the fan kicks in but the only light which comes on is the moon light which is the sleep one, but it is not asleep as the light is constant not flashing.
I have tried taking the batt out, no difference. tried holding the power down, no difference. tried running with out batt no difference. changed CMOS batt and checked ram but no difference. I'm out of ideas so any help would be ace.

sorry about the long explanation.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskLaptop
22 Comments
Tried it with an external monitor?
could be a loose wire somewhere had that with my laptop. wont be ram or anything like that as it would still start to bios screen. could be that the motherboard is dead. have you tried taking the battery out and leaving it for 10mins or so?
Yeah tried that. I was thinking it was the battery but shouldn't it work on just the power lead?
Sounds like you might have a dead charger.

Does the charger work?

The laptop might have gone into sleep mode due to no/low battery; If the charger has broken it wont re-charge the battery, so It won't come out of sleep mode.

When you go to turn it on it will try and boot up (Which is why you might hear the fan), but wont turn on due to low power.
If the only light that's coming on is the sleep light then it'soobviously not charging.

Have you got a spare one or a friend with a similar one?
Tried another charger and same result, just tried it on another monitor and nothing.
Yeah I have read that link, my problem is basically the same but won't even display the MSI logo. Seen a couple of those threads but no solutions.
If it is your gpu gone, then you could try a reflow and see if that helps, short of that send it of to msi for repair.
What is a reflow please?
I'm sure you have but you didn't mention it in your post, have you tried booting into bios?
abch4

I'm sure you have but you didn't mention it in your post, have you tried … I'm sure you have but you didn't mention it in your post, have you tried booting into bios?

Yep can't get into it as there is no boot process to speak of. Its really got me guessing.
youtube.com/wat…4RU if you watch this video it gives you an idea of what a reflow is, in a nutshell it reheats the solder around your gpu and hopefully your laptop will work again, it's like the fix used for repairing faulty ps3.
This is what i would do in order...

1.Remove the battery and mains and hold the power button down for 30-60 secs, then replace battery and mains. It should now hopefully turn on, if not try below...

2. Attach external monitor so see if it works on an external

3. Faulty memory or badly inserted memory can cause this, remove all memory and reinsert 1 by 1.

4. also getting a friend with the same battery or PSU would be wise to check those..

5. If the ext monitor doesnt work still and you can verify the ram is ok then i would get the GPU checked out or worst case its the motherboard.

Edited by: "J4GG4" 8th Dec 2013
badgerrules

Tried another charger and same result, just tried it on another monitor … Tried another charger and same result, just tried it on another monitor and nothing.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, no offense is meant to you at all, but was it another MSI charger?
teh arn

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, no offense is meant to you at … Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, no offense is meant to you at all, but was it another MSI charger?

Trust me any help is appreciated, it wasn't a msi charger but a median one, both charge the batt and get to the same stage, the median works in my other ancient laptop.
J4GG4

This is what i would do in order...1.Remove the battery and mains and … This is what i would do in order...1.Remove the battery and mains and hold the power button down for 30-60 secs, then replace battery and mains. It should now hopefully turn on, if not try below...2. Attach external monitor so see if it works on an external3. Faulty memory or badly inserted memory can cause this, remove all memory and reinsert 1 by 1.4. also getting a friend with the same battery or PSU would be wise to check those..5. If the ext monitor doesnt work still and you can verify the ram is ok then i would get the GPU checked out or worst case its the motherboard.

Tried 1-3 but no luck, how do I check GPU?
badgerrules

Tried 1-3 but no luck, how do I check GPU?

This you cant do really unless your really into laptop repairs. You need to strip the laptop down to the motherboard to locate the GPU, sometimes just removing the keyboard might get access to it. Its a chip that may need to be re flowed as mentioned above by lonegunman01.

A company will charger probably £100+ to do the job i reckon. Best bet is send it off if its under warranty, if its out of warranty time to think if its worth getting it repaired or if its worth buying a new laptop.
Does your power jack wiggle?
No the power jack doesn't wiggle I think it could be a new laptop job. Just need to find out how to get all my photos off.
That's easy put your drive in to a external one and take them off that way.
lonegunman01

That's easy put your drive in to a external one and take them off that … That's easy put your drive in to a external one and take them off that way.

This.

Or look on ebay for the same model laptop and stick your HDD directly in... Make sure its the same spec especially the chipset/processor...

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions