Groups

Is my laptop dead or not?

So I updated my laptop to Windows 10 and despite lack of official support it had worked OK for many months.

A few weeks ago though I got a sudden blue screen

Video tdr failure atikmdag.sys. With massive amounts of graphical artefacts on screen.

Tried Google and many hours of trying to get a working driver without success.

Did a memory test. check disk etc and they seemed fine

Eventually reinstalled win 10 from scratch but had problem straight off but couldn't do anything after that without getting bsod.

Tried going back to win 7 and whilst better has already has bsod re the same thing before even having the updates completed

Edit.. Also tried opening and cleaning it all but no change. Didn't go under heat sinks to GPS though as bit more involved

Is all lost? It's old but was still fine

Surely can't be driver if still crap with clean installs on two OS?

Cheers for any help

22 Comments

when you installed windows 7 or 10 is it from the recovery CD/USB or from a windows CD?
    If from a windows CD go to the laptop manufacturers website and download all the drivers. as some of the windows drivers might not be fully compatible.

Video tdr failure atikmdag.sys mornaly means driver for the graphics card. or might be the graphics card has failed.

Edit. may help if you let us know the make and model of the laptop.

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 21st Feb

Original Poster

From an iso via USB. Dvd got junked to make an extra drive bay
    Had previously clean installed without problems but this time having trouble getting to even access the net for drivers
    Think manufacturer driver priority over updating Windows?

Edited by: "brilly" 21st Feb

Laptop manufacturer driver i would make sure i have it downloaded from there website as you know they have tested them on the laptop unlike windows drivers.

This may help.

Boot the PC in Safe Mode by pressing F8 key multiple times at the time of startup

Now, you would need to remove the drivers causing the trouble. For the sake of uninstalling the drivers, navigate to Device Manager by pressing Win + X and selecting the device manager from the list. Find the conflicting driver and right click on it to uninstall from the system.

After uninstalling, navigate to Programs and Features inside Control panel and remove AMD Catalyst Install Manager (For AMD graphic cards) or any other software associated with your graphic card; the same way as you would uninstall any other application. Reboot the computer after this process

After rebooting, download and install the latest drivers and your issue should be resolved fingers crossed.
    Edited by: "djmackie2000" 21st Feb

Original Poster

Yeah tried that and not sure why that would affect clean installs? Anyway will try some more tomorrow cheers

Sounds like it could be the graphics chip, so you would probably need a new motherboard. Unless you wanted to try and get the current one repaired link

yug0

Sounds like it could be the graphics chip, so you would probably need a … Sounds like it could be the graphics chip, so you would probably need a new motherboard. Unless you wanted to try and get the current one repaired link

Prob would be cheaper buying a new laptop now a days

Had a laptop that the screen used to grey out, I would reseat display cables and it would fix it for months. Personally I would try opening it up and reseating things before giving up. Start with hard drive and ram then display (as that's likely more difficult to access) if you have a spare hdd even try that, you never know if yours is failing and spiking or dragging down something else.
    Could well be graphics chip but I would at least try no cost options, and you may spot something obvious.

djmackie2000

Prob would be cheaper buying a new laptop now a days

Yeah, might be better putting the money towards a new one.

what have you got to lose by trying out a linux distribution live CD/DVD? No drive? Then you can put a live distro on a USB stick. It does not matter which distro to try - at this stage you are only eliminating Windows/hardware issues.

I forgot - there is one huge risk with this methodology - you might end up preferring Linux over anything else!

i cant understand why no one has asked this question yet but, what make and model is it ?
    what gpu and processor is in it ?
    how old is it ?
    with this information i will be able to give you the advice your looking for mate

lollypoplee

i cant understand why no one has asked this question yet but, what make … i cant understand why no one has asked this question yet but, what make and model is it ?what gpu and processor is in it ?how old is it ?with this information i will be able to give you the advice your looking for mate

You're not your

BagABargain78

You're not your

​sorry, do i get a detention doing lines

Original Poster

yug0

Sounds like it could be the graphics chip, so you would probably need a … Sounds like it could be the graphics chip, so you would probably need a new motherboard. Unless you wanted to try and get the current one repaired link

tbh this is what I thought but as I was having a lot of trouble finding the spec I want for the budget I have I had a 'brainwave' that it may have been Windows 10
    If I had a guaranteed fix then I'd go for it as the machine is still fine... Other than being unusable X)

Its a Sony Vaio fw-5 t9800 ati 4650 from 6-7 years ago runs lightroom and photoshop well enough. No probs with HD video streaming browsing etc
    Laptops seem to be mainly about saving energy rather than power now so the jump just doesn't seem to be there

Will bear the Linux and/or further poking at innards in mind for later

Thanks!

Edited by: "brilly" 21st Feb

Original Poster

update: sick of trying to fiddle about with win7 so back to win10 (win7 seems so awkward after knowing where everything is in 10)
    'funny' thing is its working apart from 2 bsod (the atikmdag.sys one) early on
    not really tried using as sort of scared its just going to break again X)
    so much nicer typing this on a keyboard rather than a crappy tablet though (_;)

only difference with this clean install is i didn't 'go to desktop' whilst it was downloading the 4gb update and just left it overnight to do its thing
    did a quick 1 min stress test of cpu/gpu and went up to 70C or so but no errors - if it was gpu hardware then would surely have failed quickly or else its not quite seated right?
    bit frustrating to say the least!

brilly

update: sick of trying to fiddle about with win7 so back to win10 (win7 … update: sick of trying to fiddle about with win7 so back to win10 (win7 seems so awkward after knowing where everything is in 10)'funny' thing is its working apart from 2 bsod (the atikmdag.sys one) early onnot really tried using as sort of scared its just going to break again X)so much nicer typing this on a keyboard rather than a crappy tablet though (_;)only difference with this clean install is i didn't 'go to desktop' whilst it was downloading the 4gb update and just left it overnight to do its thingdid a quick 1 min stress test of cpu/gpu and went up to 70C or so but no errors - if it was gpu hardware then would surely have failed quickly or else its not quite seated right?bit frustrating to say the least!

​Strange one, at least it's working again. Might be a good time to start saving for a replacement!

Original Poster

yug0

​Strange one, at least it's working again. Might be a good time to start s … ​Strange one, at least it's working again. Might be a good time to start saving for a replacement!

yeah, as i said above i had basically been looking constantly for 2 weeks for something
    i even ordered one at one point but wasn't fully happy with so backed out before fiddling with win7 etc

feel like im in limbo atm and it come back at any time so will keep looking for deals and hopefully see something to pounce on
    hopefully i'll not be back here so thanks to all!

Original Poster

Spoke too soon. Came back
    System restore failed
    Using image gave errors straight away

ubuntu gives same graphical glitches - hasn't crashed which i assume is juts different handling but virtually unreadable at times
    maybe opening up again is next

Edit.. Opened up again. Reseated ram took fan right off and removed a small dust ball I missed last time.
    Took off the copper pipes and heatsinks but no idea what was supposed to find as rest is soldered on anyway.
    Would I need to replace the thermal compound or should it go back together? Still looked tacky.

Anyway when put it back together worked OK for 1 min but has now gone again (worse now as frozen too after lots of flickers)

edit number 1775: the other big square bit seemed to have some sort of coating on it like a thermal compound but it was more red and pure rubber - could that be affecting it?
    googling says its the northbridge/chipset? not sure but was bigger than cpu/gpu

definitely seeems to be hardware as when i just slapped it ti got worse X)

Edited by: "brilly" 25th Feb

Original Poster

updated above - think red rubber thing was a thermal pad but no idea - hadn't heard of them before

This is what I would try. Do a fresh install of Win7, then install your service pack and install your wifi driver. Then use something like Driver Talent Pro (or something similar), you can get it from torrent site. Once all your drivers are up to date upgrade to Win10 for free. Once you have upgraded to Win10 use Driver Talent Pro to update your drivers once again. Hopefully you don't have any issues and you have a fully functional laptop again.

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

This is what I would try. Do a fresh install of Win7, then install your … This is what I would try. Do a fresh install of Win7, then install your service pack and install your wifi driver. Then use something like Driver Talent Pro (or something similar), you can get it from torrent site. Once all your drivers are up to date upgrade to Win10 for free. Once you have upgraded to Win10 use Driver Talent Pro to update your drivers once again. Hopefully you don't have any issues and you have a fully functional laptop again.

ywah thats almost exactly what i did the last time
    cant remember which driver program it was - one posted in freebies
    did find 3 drivers it said but no joy

Has the ram been tested with something like memtest86.com/, also if connected to a monitor do you still get the same problem displayed?

Original Poster

Outrunner

Has the ram been tested with something like http://www.memtest86.com/, … Has the ram been tested with something like http://www.memtest86.com/, also if connected to a monitor do you still get the same problem displayed?

think i did memtest on system, ram in working in an older laptop right now
    yes displayed same problem connected via tv
    Edited by: "brilly" 13th Mar
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2026
      2. BT sport on sky boxes49
      3. Does anybody have a spare now tv entertainment pass please?47
      4. Lidl Memory Foam Mattress1216

See more discussions